|
||||||
| Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ |
![]() |
|
|
Thread Tools | Search this Thread |
|
|
#1 |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Sep 2016
Drives: 14' Raven M/T - 02' is300
Location: alabama
Posts: 161
Thanks: 45
Thanked 28 Times in 21 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
|
Just changed my spark plugs! pics of old vs new
Did it without raising the engine. Was a PITA.
Busted knuckles guaranteed. I'm right at 60k miles and the plugs don't look great to me notice the white part of the spark plug. It has some corrosion starting to creep up from the head. I'm not sure if that is normal but perhaps one you you guys can chime in |
|
|
|
|
|
#2 |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Jan 2018
Drives: Crapcan
Location: Oregon
Posts: 11,612
Thanks: 18,894
Thanked 16,899 Times in 7,691 Posts
Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
|
I've seen that and I would not be concerned about it. Mostly surprised that there was no never seize on the threads.
I never thought this was that hard of a job. I used a flex adaptor and a magnet to fish everything out, never had to raise anything either. |
|
|
|
|
|
#3 | |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Sep 2016
Drives: 14' Raven M/T - 02' is300
Location: alabama
Posts: 161
Thanks: 45
Thanked 28 Times in 21 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
|
Quote:
![]() The hard part was seperating the extensiin from the socket. Since mine have those little detents Used An extension a hose and a magnet. Ive read or heard somewhere your not supposed to lube these plugs |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#4 |
|
Famous Potatoes
Join Date: Mar 2016
Drives: '15 ultramarine
Location: Idaho
Posts: 14,097
Thanks: 5,833
Thanked 19,730 Times in 9,284 Posts
Mentioned: 163 Post(s)
|
Looks like you could have gone another 30k miles.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#5 | |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Jan 2018
Drives: Crapcan
Location: Oregon
Posts: 11,612
Thanks: 18,894
Thanked 16,899 Times in 7,691 Posts
Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
|
Quote:
I never heard not to lube them. I don't put plugs in without never seize. I have fixed enough stripped threads I don't care to have to deal with it again if I can avoid it. |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#6 |
|
not playing cards
Join Date: Sep 2014
Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Location: vantucky, wa
Posts: 32,394
Thanks: 53,054
Thanked 37,230 Times in 19,309 Posts
Mentioned: 1118 Post(s)
|
Easily. Looks practically new.
__________________
|
|
|
|
|
|
#7 |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 2020 Hakone
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 69,838
Thanks: 61,656
Thanked 108,295 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2499 Post(s)
|
Those look almost pristine. Back in the carburetor days before ECU fuel/air management the plugs were good if they lasted 5,000 miles. To get 60,000 out of them and have them still look that good is a technological marvel and a true statement of how far things have come.
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#8 | |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Feb 2012
Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Location: Powder Springs, GA
Posts: 20,177
Thanks: 39,818
Thanked 25,547 Times in 11,650 Posts
Mentioned: 187 Post(s)
|
Quote:
__________________
Olivia 05/03/2012 - 01/06/2024. 231,146 glorious miles.
Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark. What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk". |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#9 |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 2020 Hakone
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 69,838
Thanks: 61,656
Thanked 108,295 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2499 Post(s)
|
I will see what mine look like when I finally get them changed. Probably be three times the recommended mileage by then.
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#10 | |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: May 2013
Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Location: Puyallup, WA
Posts: 30,436
Thanks: 29,833
Thanked 32,866 Times in 16,849 Posts
Mentioned: 717 Post(s)
|
Quote:
Today, if it weren't such a PIA to get them out, I would put them back in - but, since they are out - I'd replace em. humfrz |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#11 | |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 2020 Hakone
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 69,838
Thanks: 61,656
Thanked 108,295 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2499 Post(s)
|
Quote:
I would have run them through a blaster first though.
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#12 |
|
Famous Potatoes
Join Date: Mar 2016
Drives: '15 ultramarine
Location: Idaho
Posts: 14,097
Thanks: 5,833
Thanked 19,730 Times in 9,284 Posts
Mentioned: 163 Post(s)
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#13 |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: May 2013
Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Location: Puyallup, WA
Posts: 30,436
Thanks: 29,833
Thanked 32,866 Times in 16,849 Posts
Mentioned: 717 Post(s)
|
Yep, fer sure. I recall back in the day to tend to spark plugs meant to stop in at my Uncles Chevrolet dealership, pull the plugs out, put them on the sand blaster machine, gap em and put them back in. The whole process was a 15 minute job.
Picture of a back-in-the-day dirty plug, for the young-ens that think their plugs, with a slightly discolored insulator, are "dirty". - ![]() humfrz |
|
|
|
|
|
#14 | |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 2020 Hakone
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 69,838
Thanks: 61,656
Thanked 108,295 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2499 Post(s)
|
Quote:
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Similar Threads
|
||||
| Thread | Thread Starter | Forum | Replies | Last Post |
| spark plugs | Legend@wheels | Engine, Exhaust, Transmission | 3 | 12-12-2018 12:13 AM |
| How to gap spark plugs | Strife26 | Engine, Exhaust, Transmission | 38 | 01-09-2018 01:06 AM |
| Spark Plugs at 65K | user4815 | Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) | 50 | 12-25-2017 04:19 PM |
| Spark plugs | Triumphrider | Engine, Exhaust, Transmission | 12 | 06-19-2014 10:47 AM |