follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 07-30-2012, 09:10 AM   #1
chessplaya2010

Drives: Scion Tc
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
FR-S buying experience... advise

Need some advice... last thursday i got the call to pick up my fr-s... i had already advise the dealership that i'd be trading a 2010 TC @ 50K mi ... but they never did the appraisal... i got there @ 5pm ... i left by 10:30 w/o my FR-S they were only offering me 7500 for my TC because they said it had too many scratches it would need a complete paint job (total BS) they knew i wanted the FR-S as i had ordered it and put down a 1k deposit... they thought i wouldn't leave and just take the 7500.... i still owed 10k on the tc so i fought hard and returned the next day i convinced them to give me wash out... after several hours of arguing... they agreed ... so they would give me the 10k i owed for tc and finance the FR-S.. at least i'd get the tax break for the trade in... w.e. now.. i'm all excited and right as i'm leaving on Friday... ( i had moved the few items i had on my TC over the FR-S already) .. i noticed a half-full tank so i asked... the rep to fill it up for me.. and he goes.. sure.. 10 mins later he comes back... full tank... and i asked just for the heck (as i thought they would know..) "you put premium right" ... the rep goes.. "nah.. just regular... we dont have premium here... " ... i replied "this car doesn't take regular..." he goes.. "yes it does... we filled it up w/ regular ever since we got it..." i went back to talk to the manager... they obviously agreed w/ me and considered it a big F**K up on their part... (not training employees correctly) so they told me they needed to keep the car over the weekend to empty the gas tank and do some extra checks to make sure the engine wasn't damaged... so i was told right then and there that i woudn't have it until Monday (today).... he apologized a thousands times and told me to think of some sort of compensation gift and he would ararnge for it.... the manager never gave a price range.. so i dont know what to ask for in compensation... any ideas ?????

sorry for the long store.. but it's been an ardeous journey dealing w/ this stealership!! i'd appreciate the feedback....
chessplaya2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:23 AM   #2
Mari0
Car Enthusiast

Drives: tC 05 & 07, Rav4
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
gt86 headlights of course! haha jk

Mari0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:29 AM   #3
goincarcrazy
Future FR-S Owner

Drives: '05 Scion tC
I would say look at the available options and pick one, or ask for a gas card or something. I can't believe someone "trained" to sell such a car could be so ignorant in what it actually needs. Bravo for the salesmen on this forum that keep up with the news on this car, but shame on the ones that WE have to teach about the car...
goincarcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:43 AM   #4
Wolfking

Drives: Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I'm sorry you had to deal with such !@#$%^& tards, CP! If you've decided to keep the car, I'd consider the 5AXIS spoiler (or get an "we owe you" for fog lights. Afterwards I would find another dealership to deal with.

I'm curious... Since they have been refueling your car with regular grade fuel, how many miles were on it at the time of purchase?
Wolfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:49 AM   #5
Wolfking

Drives: Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by goincarcrazy View Post
I can't believe someone "trained" to sell such a car could be so ignorant in what it actually needs.
What is there to teach? It is implied that even idiots can read the fuel port inner decal stating "Premium Unleaded Fuel Only."
Wolfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:57 AM   #6
chessplaya2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfking View Post
I'm sorry you had to deal with such !@#$%^& tards, CP! If you've decided to keep the car, I'd consider the 5AXIS spoiler (or get an "we owe you" for fog lights. Afterwards I would find another dealership to deal with.

I'm curious... Since they have been refueling your car with regular grade fuel, how many miles were on it at the time of purchase?
i test drove it w/ 9 mi... today (if they call me to pick it up) i will check ... they obviously have been using regular the whole time.. although... doesn't the car first get gas @ the port ?? im sure those guys deal w/ cars all day/every day to know to read the darn label...

i'm hoping in my scenario.. my car had half-full tank of premium and when i asked to fill it up.. they used regular for the second half....
Old 07-30-2012, 09:59 AM   #7
KRAZYK
Self Entitled

Drives: 13' Red FR-S, 12' Toyota Tundra
Can't trust anyone to care for your car like YOU care for your car.. That is why I do my own oil changes and services. If it's not their property most people will go with the "ehh close enough" mentality.
KRAZYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:09 AM   #8
bimmerboy

Drives: 2009 135i
duuude i would not have let them keep the car over the weekend! they are going to beat the living piss outta it to empty your tank!

the car will drive with regular, just gotta make sure you dont do any high load/high rpm driving... I woulda been pissed but still taken care of it on my own, as i don't trust dealer techs... they are all young ass kids who cant wait to rip your shit apart.

Oh well lesson learned. Please don't let them "service" your car either unless absolutely necessary. Oil changes you should learn how to do on your own, as well as other minor maintenance items.
bimmerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:17 AM   #9
KRAZYK
Self Entitled

Drives: 13' Red FR-S, 12' Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerboy View Post
duuude i would not have let them keep the car over the weekend! they are going to beat the living piss outta it to empty your tank!

the car will drive with regular, just gotta make sure you dont do any high load/high rpm driving... I woulda been pissed but still taken care of it on my own, as i don't trust dealer techs... they are all young ass kids who cant wait to rip your shit apart.

Oh well lesson learned. Please don't let them "service" your car either unless absolutely necessary. Oil changes you should learn how to do on your own, as well as other minor maintenance items.
+1 on that.

I would have taken the car and burned off the 87 oct myself and filled up with 93 from that point on. Hell you could have even cyphered out the tank if you're really worried about 1 tank of cheap stuff.
KRAZYK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KRAZYK For This Useful Post:
Mo707 (07-31-2012)
Old 07-30-2012, 10:30 AM   #10
chessplaya2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAZYK View Post
+1 on that.

I would have taken the car and burned off the 87 oct myself and filled up with 93 from that point on. Hell you could have even cyphered out the tank if you're really worried about 1 tank of cheap stuff.
That's what they were going to do... they were gonna cypher it out... like i said.. i left the car w/ 7 mi ... if i see double of that... i'm asking for the extended warranty and an IOU for the fog lights.. or it's a dealbreaker....
Old 07-30-2012, 10:55 AM   #11
ngabdala
Vortech Supercharged

Drives: WRB BRZ 6MT LTD
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I would have syphoned the gas myself and gave it to a friend. Maybe even start a cool fire with it
ngabdala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:29 AM   #12
HunterGreene
Hail Magnet

Drives: Firestorm FR-S: "Artemis"
Thanked 3,195 Times in 1,633 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I think the reasonable decision should be made once you see how many miles they have put on it. The more they have, the more I would say they owe you in compensation. Don't expect a lifetime warranty, but feel free to ask for it.

Basically, the bargaining that you didn't have to do while buying this car, you are now going to do getting compensated for the salesman having his head up his ass. Did it do permanent damage? Not very likely, as other threads on here have pointed out that the ECU can control the timing to prevent knocking due to the lower-grade gas. The worst case is that you have a little extra gunk in your engine that won't make a huge difference in the long haul.

Its hard to make a sliding scale, but anything under the 5-10 mile mark should score you some mud guards or the rear bumper sticker. Anything over that, and it depends on how much they took it for. If they literally just ran the tank dry (in which case there would be at least a few hundred miles on it, I would threaten to take them to court unless they give you a lifetime Toyota warranty (not just good at their dealership).

Good Luck!
HunterGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:33 AM   #13
thermobox

Drives: 16 Impreza 5dr CWP
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Ugggh. What idiots. Pumping the fuel out isn't a hard affair. The gauge might read full or partially for a while after they pump it out.
I've had to do this a few times when I ship cars to and fro for gov't employees/ contractors.

I'd just ask them for a fuel card or something of comparable cost. These are the kind of people that make us look bad.
thermobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:35 AM   #14
Neziah

Drives: 2013 HotLava FRS, 2005 Legacy
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I would of just put a can of octane booster in the tank and called it good.