follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 02-27-2017, 10:47 AM   #1
LowAndSlowBecauseNoTurbo
FRS 10 series #0239

Drives: #0239 FRS 10 series silver ignition
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Wiring an amp and sub (another one)

whats going on everyone,
I've come to a point where I'm too confused to understand what everyone is saying and which way they are saying it. so yesterday I got a pair of subs and an amp (pretty sure its a 2 channel) and I'm looking to wire it up. I want to stick to the factory amp and go from there because I heard the factory 2013 10 series radio doesn't have RCA outputs (is this true?). if so I need to know how to connect the RCA outputs to the back of my head unit and run it to my external amp. is there anyway to piggyback my stock amp? will I have to splice into my wire harness? any help is welcomed.
Drop in K&N filter, CX Racing oil cooler, Tomei Expreme UEL headers, Invidia N1 Catback, OFT stage 2, Raceland coilovers, stage one Exedy clutch kit, Stoptech drilled and slotted rotors and Hawk HPS street pads
10 series #0239
LowAndSlowBecauseNoTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 11:04 AM   #2
czechm8

Drives: Series 10 Fr-s #520
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
You will need a LOC (Line Output Converter). This is a device that will convert a high level (speaker level) output to a low level (RCA) output.
For instance, you could tap into the wires going to one of the rear speakers for your LOC. This will give you a low-level signal for input into your new amp.
Most LOC's will have a selectable or variable output (voltage) that you will need to match with your new amp via the Gain control.
czechm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 11:22 AM   #3
lizbrayan

Drives: '15 Scion Frs Steel
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
See what i did when i installed my sub was buy a sub wiring kit, on the rca connectors that are suppose to go into the radio i cut the little plug split the wires and tapped into the rear speaker harness, then the other end that still has the plugs goes into the amp and boom youre good to go!
lizbrayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 11:34 AM   #4
wrh3
billswebspace.com

Drives: 2017 Alfa 4C, 2019 Fiat 124 Abarth
Good thread here for factory amplifier wiring: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=25

When we installed my son's sub amplifier, we just tapped into the wiring at the factory amplifier in the trunk to feed the LOC and remote turn-on.

Old 02-27-2017, 11:59 AM   #5
LowAndSlowBecauseNoTurbo
FRS 10 series #0239

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizbrayan View Post
See what i did when i installed my sub was buy a sub wiring kit, on the rca connectors that are suppose to go into the radio i cut the little plug split the wires and tapped into the rear speaker harness, then the other end that still has the plugs goes into the amp and boom youre good to go!
so you didnt use a LOC and just ran the (cut part) RCA to the rear wire harness into the stock amp? and then ran the (still connected) RCA wire into the aftermarket amp?
Drop in K&N filter, CX Racing oil cooler, Tomei Expreme UEL headers, Invidia N1 Catback, OFT stage 2, Raceland coilovers, stage one Exedy clutch kit, Stoptech drilled and slotted rotors and Hawk HPS street pads
10 series #0239
Old 02-27-2017, 12:02 PM   #6
LowAndSlowBecauseNoTurbo
FRS 10 series #0239

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrh3 View Post
Good thread here for factory amplifier wiring: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=25

When we installed my son's sub amplifier, we just tapped into the wiring at the factory amplifier in the trunk to feed the LOC and remote turn-on.

so if I didnt want to purchase an LOC then I could just cut the inserts from one end of the RCA cable off and tap them to which wires? the Left HU and right HU? or the Left speaker and Right Speaker? and then obviously bridge the remote turn on hahaha is that correct?
10 series #0239
Old 02-27-2017, 12:17 PM   #7
lizbrayan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowAndSlowBecauseNoTurbo View Post
so you didnt use a LOC and just ran the (cut part) RCA to the rear wire harness into the stock amp? and then ran the (still connected) RCA wire into the aftermarket amp?
yeah man pretty much i didnt feel like buying the loc to be honest with you and on the harness (as you see on the post with the picture) i cut into the rear speakers. So the sub only hits when the signal goes to the rear. Im not sure if you have the touch screen head unit or not but if you do, under stettings make sure you set it to tc cause thats what gives the best bump and bass out of the sub.
The Following User Says Thank You to lizbrayan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2017, 12:20 PM   #8
lizbrayan

Quote:
so if I didnt want to purchase an LOC then I could just cut the inserts from one end of the RCA cable off and tap them to which wires? the Left HU and right HU? or the Left speaker and Right Speaker? and then obviously bridge the remote turn on hahaha is that correct?
When you buy the sub wiring kit, there should be a few wires. In the kit I got there was a red which connected to the battery, the 2 rca cables, and one blue wire which connected to the remote turn out. I installed everything in my schools parking lot in 15 mins. I used my teeth to cut the wires and electrical tape to keep everything together! If anything just pm me and I'll help you out. You dont need anything crazy go to your local walmart and buy a 35$ wiring kit and youre good to go!
Old 02-27-2017, 12:28 PM   #9
stevesnj

Drives: 2016 FR-S Oceanic Blue
Thanked 1,601 Times in 923 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009B8EJYU...ON1ZXT8X&psc=1

My 2016 Build thread

TRD Exhaust with custom quad tips, TRD Lowering Springs,TRD Quick shifter,LED;DRL, Projectors, and turn signals. Re-badge, 86 Nanny, WinmaxW2 Pads, K&N Drop In, Antenna delete
stevesnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 12:39 PM   #10
LowAndSlowBecauseNoTurbo
FRS 10 series #0239

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesnj View Post
if I did go with this where would I splice these wires in and would I need any other connectors?
10 series #0239
Old 02-27-2017, 01:01 PM   #11
LowAndSlowBecauseNoTurbo
FRS 10 series #0239

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizbrayan View Post
When you buy the sub wiring kit, there should be a few wires. In the kit I got there was a red which connected to the battery, the 2 rca cables, and one blue wire which connected to the remote turn out. I installed everything in my schools parking lot in 15 mins. I used my teeth to cut the wires and electrical tape to keep everything together! If anything just pm me and I'll help you out. You dont need anything crazy go to your local walmart and buy a 35$ wiring kit and youre good to go!
alright cool. I'm hoping this is easier than it seems. I direct messaged you
10 series #0239
Old 02-27-2017, 04:06 PM   #12
LowAndSlowBecauseNoTurbo
FRS 10 series #0239

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by czechm8 View Post
You will need a LOC (Line Output Converter). This is a device that will convert a high level (speaker level) output to a low level (RCA) output.
For instance, you could tap into the wires going to one of the rear speakers for your LOC. This will give you a low-level signal for input into your new amp.
Most LOC's will have a selectable or variable output (voltage) that you will need to match with your new amp via the Gain control.
so I'm looking into getting this LOC
http://www.autozone.com/stereo-speak...ter/272463_0_0
and I'm wondering if I can just splice into my wire that runs straight from my rear speaker or if I have to go through my wire harness?
10 series #0239
Old 02-27-2017, 04:12 PM   #13
Chimera

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
so I'm looking into getting this LOC
http://www.autozone.com/stereo-speak...ter/272463_0_0
and I'm wondering if I can just splice into my wire that runs straight from my rear speaker or if I have to go through my wire harness?
That looks like it will do the trick.

I recommend reading this entire thread..
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42239

Some of it does not related, exactly to what you are doing, but it will tell you how to use the signal from the OEM amp, which powers the front door speakers, gets full range, and is WAY easier to work with than getting behind the headunit or access to any other spots. Also described how to do this in a 100% reversible way using metra harnesses, if you like not tapping wires.
Chimera is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chimera For This Useful Post:
NickB34 (02-27-2017)
Old 02-27-2017, 05:50 PM   #14
NickB34

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Do yourself a favor and re-pin a harness. Your future self and future car owners will thank you for not hacking something together. Another option is to get a new head unit, but comes at a cost.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
NickB34 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NickB34 For This Useful Post:
Chimera (02-28-2017)

Tags
amp, rca, subs, wire harness