follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 10-31-2016, 09:30 PM   #1
rubbercow

Drives: 2022 GR86 (formerly 2014 BRZ)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Another OEM Armrest Install (Using Mushroom Nuts)

I hate to spout negativity in my first post but I wanted to provide an option to those who ran into difficulty with the OEM (EU) Armrest.

Fundamentally, it wasn't a pleasant install. Attaching the paper template was a pain because it really didn't line up properly (yes I measured it with a metric ruler). Admittedly it is possible that it moved a few millimeters here and there, but ultimately the kit should come with a thirty-cent pre-printed card-sheet template.

With that said, my complaint really isn't with the kit, the template or the armrest itself. It is with the depressingly non-functional fasteners.

On a scale of one-to-WTF, the fasteners trend towards WTF. Others have had success but three out of eight of the fasteners had comical results.

In two cases the bolting-in resulted in the attachment not producing sufficient 'rubber-bubble' shown in the diagram above. In the third, the nut was pushed right through, to be lost in the bowels of my console.

After multiple attempts to rig alternates: I squared out the holes, used mushroom nuts and shoved them in. It is now extremely securely fastened.

Others have tried 3M tape and if I hadn't already of drilled holes I'd have done the same. Search for more information. Otherwise, here is a shot of what I did (looks perfect installed):

For those to screw it up, you can buy another console (lifted from another thread):

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuseChaser View Post
If you REALLY bugger it up, it's not the end of the world. A new console is less than $45..

http://www.villagescionparts.com/pro...U00303189.html

Barry
Best of luck.
rubbercow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 09:49 PM   #2
geezerbrzeezer
Geezer

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Sport Tech
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
The center armrest is the one mod that has me stumped. Not from an install perspective, but just from plain old which one.

BTW, a capsule endoscopy should assist in the location and hopefully the retrieval of your nut from your console's bowels.
geezerbrzeezer is offline   Reply With Quote