follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 05-23-2016, 03:33 PM   #1
imaguitar

Drives: Scion FRS - Hot Lava
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
School Will Be The Death of Me

So school is literally killing me.

So after I die, I'll have my mom part out my car for you all.

RIP me.
imaguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 03:56 PM   #2
jasonojordan

Drives: 2013 satin white brz limited
Wait till you have to be a part of the real world...
jasonojordan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to jasonojordan For This Useful Post:
Atropine (05-23-2016), D_Thissen (05-23-2016), Mr.ac (09-16-2019), reni (05-23-2016), ScoobsMcGee (05-24-2016), soulreapersteve (05-24-2016), Tcoat (05-23-2016)
Old 05-23-2016, 04:22 PM   #3
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonojordan View Post
Wait till you have to be a part of the real world...
I've always hated that argument. Im only 4 years out from college but it was just as stressful (actually more stressful) then my current job. Good and bad suoervisors/teachers, group work with good and bad coworkers/classmates, worrying about money. I worried about graduating on time to avoid going into debt. I can't imagine how bad it is for those taking a ton of loans out. 6 classes each quarter and an unpaid internship for 2 years isn't a joke.

You go to school hoping to make money and then go get a job and worry about money.

Granted I've never been one to really bitch about something. Life as a whole is hard but you gotta get shit done. Stress is real no matter the cause and how trivial it may seem years later.

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to finch1750 For This Useful Post:
MrFisty (05-23-2016)
Old 05-23-2016, 05:23 PM   #4
Speed2th
I love my series blue brz

Drives: 2010 335d
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
School is actually fun, you will appreciate it after you start working. Post school life is not necessary better. It is different kind of stress, social life rings gets smaller, stress from work, stress from payments, hate yourself not able to have nicer things...etc. My recommendation is to get the best out of it, do well in school, make friends, you will have a good return in the future.
Speed2th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 06:38 PM   #5
jasonojordan

Drives: 2013 satin white brz limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
I've always hated that argument. Im only 4 years out from college but it was just as stressful (actually more stressful) then my current job. Good and bad suoervisors/teachers, group work with good and bad coworkers/classmates, worrying about money. I worried about graduating on time to avoid going into debt. I can't imagine how bad it is for those taking a ton of loans out. 6 classes each quarter and an unpaid internship for 2 years isn't a joke.

You go to school hoping to make money and then go get a job and worry about money.

Granted I've never been one to really bitch about something. Life as a whole is hard but you gotta get shit done. Stress is real no matter the cause and how trivial it may seem years later.
Then apparently I went to the wrong school (or should I say right one). If you can't handle the stresses of school then how can you ever expect to be a functioning adult of society and handle the stress of owning a home starting a family managing a group of people or project at work. Not saying the OP can't do these things or won't be able to but really I truly feel that this last generation or so of kids are hand fed so much stuff that when they make it to college they are not even remotely prepared to handle the class load because they have had little to zero responsibility to this point in their lives to manage(Once again a generalization.)
jasonojordan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jasonojordan For This Useful Post:
MuseChaser (12-21-2018)
Old 05-23-2016, 06:52 PM   #6
MrFisty
The Fistiest

Drives: 2013 Argento FR-S
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Yeah, none of us have any responsibilities, except dealing with the fallout of poor environmental choices by prior generations and other various topics that border on politics, which we can't talk about.

Someone is having a tough time with school and a couple people are already crapping on them. Maybe it isn't as stressful as "the real world," but that's no reason to poop on them.

And I HATE people saying "the real world" as if we're all in some hunky-dorey mamby pamby land of pillows.
Since my sophomore year, I have worked, I have paid the majority of my bills, I have gone to school, etc. This IS the real world for many of us, and it's not a cake walk. Hell forbid we complain about anything short of missing a mortgage payment.
finch1750 (05-23-2016), imaguitar (05-23-2016)
Old 05-23-2016, 07:06 PM   #7
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonojordan View Post
Then apparently I went to the wrong school (or should I say right one). If you can't handle the stresses of school then how can you ever expect to be a functioning adult of society and handle the stress of owning a home starting a family managing a group of people or project at work. Not saying the OP can't do these things or won't be able to but really I truly feel that this last generation or so of kids are hand fed so much stuff that when they make it to college they are not even remotely prepared to handle the class load because they have had little to zero responsibility to this point in their lives to manage(Once again a generalization.)
Well, obviously if you can't make it in school you cant make it after. Everything is just obstacles you have to get through. But maybe I'm the only one that looks at things that simply.

I was going to school while part of "the real world" so maybe I'm different. I got "lucky" by inheriting a house when the woman that raised me very suddenly passed away. Beyond dealing with the death the house is over 100 years old and still needs so much work its not even funny. We're tackling one big project a year hoping to take care of it eventually. I was taking 6 classes (thats 36 hours in classroom a week so almost full time) and doing an internship that was 8 hours a week. I had to move back to said house and commute over an hour to school each way and then another 15-60 to my internship depending on traffic. I worked 20 hours a week and still needed with living expenses. No job I have held has been more stressful then that

I've been fortunate in my life but not spoiled. Getting help along the way isnt wrong if you make something of it in the end cuz it wont always be there. I know some people dont agree with that but it's just how I see it.

I know a handful of guys my age that still live at home with no job or the same minimum wage since after high school. But I also know plenty of kids who moved out at 18 and 10 years later have a family and are buying their first home. It may be more slackers or whatever then prior generations but its a poor generalization to think its the majority.

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to finch1750 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (05-23-2016)
Old 05-23-2016, 07:10 PM   #8
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFisty View Post
Yeah, none of us have any responsibilities, except dealing with the fallout of poor environmental choices by prior generations and other various topics that border on politics, which we can't talk about.

Someone is having a tough time with school and a couple people are already crapping on them. Maybe it isn't as stressful as "the real world," but that's no reason to poop on them.

And I HATE people saying "the real world" as if we're all in some hunky-dorey mamby pamby land of pillows.
Since my sophomore year, I have worked, I have paid the majority of my bills, I have gone to school, etc. This IS the real world for many of us, and it's not a cake walk. Hell forbid we complain about anything short of missing a mortgage payment.
The OP states that school is "literally" killing him. At best that is melodramatic and at worst that means he is pretty much screwed when it comes to the rest of his life. Maybe he needs to take a close look at what he is studying and determine if he is cut out for it or maybe he just likes to complain. Either way his statement almost begs people to poop on him.
Atropine (05-24-2016), Captain Snooze (05-24-2016), Cole (05-23-2016), finch1750 (05-23-2016), jasonojordan (05-24-2016), MuseChaser (12-21-2018), soulreapersteve (05-24-2016), Toyarzee (05-24-2016)
Old 05-23-2016, 07:18 PM   #9
MrFisty
The Fistiest

Drives: 2013 Argento FR-S
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
The OP states that school is "literally" killing him. At best that is melodramatic and at worst that means he is pretty much screwed when it comes to the rest of his life. Maybe he needs to take a close look at what he is studying and determine if he is cut out for it or maybe he just likes to complain. Either way his statement almost begs people to poop on him.
I can agree with these bits.
Atropine (05-24-2016), Tcoat (05-23-2016)
Old 05-23-2016, 07:40 PM   #10
imaguitar

In all honesty, I just need a break (summer vacation). Taking 4 upper division classes 3 quarters in a row this year & also having to work has just taken a toll on me.

I didn't know I'd get this much feedback from that complaint of a post LOL
The Following User Says Thank You to imaguitar For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (05-23-2016)
Old 05-23-2016, 07:42 PM   #11
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaguitar View Post
In all honesty, I just need a break (summer vacation). Taking 4 upper division classes 3 quarters in a row this year & also having to work has just taken a toll on me.

I didn't know I'd get this much feedback from that complaint of a post LOL
Oh dude you had to have known!!!!!!

You are not new!!!!!!!!!

I would have expected it from Squady!!!!!!!
finch1750 (05-23-2016), MrFisty (05-23-2016)
Old 05-23-2016, 07:55 PM   #12
imaguitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Oh dude you had to have known!!!!!!

You are not new!!!!!!!!!

I would have expected it from Squady!!!!!!!
Hahahah i didn't you guys would have like THAT much to say from a post like that! lol

I may have posted that too just out of procrastination sake.

But a lot of people in my generation (at least at my school) are questioning the ways they teach us. Like one of my professors graduated in '71 & he told us how he had to do literally everything by hand & whatnot. But now whenever an alumni comes to talk about what they do after they've graduated, they're always saying how everything is conputerized. Like they're not going to be calculating every single little thing w a pen & paper.

Sometimes curriculum isn't very strict for some classes either. For one of my classes, this is the professors first time teaching it & they just changed the book last year (to a book that has a VERY LARGE amount of errors), & it is obvious to us he doesn't really know what he's doing in the class. The lectures are practically just taken from the book word for word, he isn't really clarifying anything that much.

That's why sometimes it's frustrating. lol
Old 05-23-2016, 07:58 PM   #13
Speck

Drives: '13 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
What's you major?
Speck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Speck For This Useful Post:
Token11b (05-23-2016)
Old 05-23-2016, 08:19 PM   #14
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaguitar View Post
Hahahah i didn't you guys would have like THAT much to say from a post like that! lol

I may have posted that too just out of procrastination sake.

But a lot of people in my generation (at least at my school) are questioning the ways they teach us. Like one of my professors graduated in '71 & he told us how he had to do literally everything by hand & whatnot. But now whenever an alumni comes to talk about what they do after they've graduated, they're always saying how everything is conputerized. Like they're not going to be calculating every single little thing w a pen & paper.

Sometimes curriculum isn't very strict for some classes either. For one of my classes, this is the professors first time teaching it & they just changed the book last year (to a book that has a VERY LARGE amount of errors), & it is obvious to us he doesn't really know what he's doing in the class. The lectures are practically just taken from the book word for word, he isn't really clarifying anything that much.

That's why sometimes it's frustrating. lol
You will run into every one of those things in the workforce as well. Bosses that do not have a clue, changes in systems that just don't work, policies and procedures that were obviously written by blithering idiots, having to do things in a manner that you don't think is the easiest of best and just about every other thing that go can happen in school. None of what you said is just a school thing.

Learning to do things with pen and paper even though it is done on computer. It tells you what the computer is doing and gives you an understanding as to what it all means. Also a great way to catch errors and believe me computers (or more accurately their operators) do make errors. Anybody can sit and enter stuff into a computer but understanding that material is a whole different matter.
imaguitar (05-23-2016)