follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 05-20-2016, 08:28 PM   #1
theman233

Drives: 2013 subaru brz
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
P0500 after wheel stud install

Hello ft86,

Today I had a shadetree mechanic install new wheel studs on my passenger side rear wheel, everything went fine until he told me to get in and give it a test ride and I noticed the traction control, ABS, and check engine light were all on after a block. I told him this and he told me he forgot to hook up the speed sensor cable.... Anyways, he hooked up the cable back and after I turned the car back on, only the ABS and traction control light went off. Is the check engine light on only as a precautionary since it saw the cable was unplugged? It hasn't gone away after a couple of restarts and I'm just wondering what could have gone wrong...since from what I searched, all 3 lights would be on if the cable was broken? The mechanic told me it would probably go away after I got home, and that he would get a reader and help later, but I'd rather not go back.

Thanks
theman233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 08:40 PM   #2
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by theman233 View Post
Hello ft86,

Today I had a shadetree mechanic install new wheel studs on my passenger side rear wheel, everything went fine until he told me to get in and give it a test ride and I noticed the traction control, ABS, and check engine light were all on after a block. I told him this and he told me he forgot to hook up the speed sensor cable.... Anyways, he hooked up the cable back and after I turned the car back on, only the ABS and traction control light went off. Is the check engine light on only as a precautionary since it saw the cable was unplugged? It hasn't gone away after a couple of restarts and I'm just wondering what could have gone wrong...since from what I searched, all 3 lights would be on if the cable was broken? The mechanic told me it would probably go away after I got home, and that he would get a reader and help later, but I'd rather not go back.

Thanks

yeah it was likely all due to wheel sensor not plugged in.

you can clear the CEL and codes by just removing battery terminal for a few minutes. If it does come back after that then you have other problems

Last edited by steve99; 05-21-2016 at 10:01 PM.
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (05-22-2016)
Old 05-20-2016, 08:44 PM   #3
kev60625

Drives: 2013 WRB Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
yeah it was likely all due to wheel sensor not plugged in.

you can clear the CEL and codes by just removing battery for a few minutes. If it does come back after that then you have other problems

This
kev60625 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kev60625 For This Useful Post:
86kahl (05-20-2016), Tcoat (05-22-2016)
Old 05-21-2016, 09:50 PM   #4
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,979 Times in 16,481 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by theman233 View Post
Hello ft86,

Today I had a shadetree mechanic install............

Thanks
Well, now, your first mistake, was having a "shade tree" mechanic do the work on a modern car ....... I'll betcha he was OLD ........ and still thinks the emergency brake drum on the FR-S is the main brake .......

And the "mechanic" must have been from Indiana and learned his shade tree mechanic skills from working on John Deere tractors .........

What kind of shade tree did he pull your car under ........ any tree other than maple is ....... WRONG!

However, he doesn't sound like a fool ......... "here, I just replaced all the studs on your wheel .... YOU go take it for a test drive" ........

IN case you haven't figured it out ........ ol humfrz is ah jest messen wich ya ......

Like ol @steve99 suggests, just disconnect the negative post of the battery till you can count to 100 (backwards) then hook it back up.

NO, contrary to what ol steve99 says, you DO NOT have to "remove the battery". He was just trying to upsell you into a new battery ...... he had already set you up with his "if your battery is old comment". Next would have been ....... "well, now since you have the battery out" .....

Anyway, welcome to the forum ....... and I hope the battery disconnect snaps the computer back upright ..........

humfrz

Last edited by humfrz; 05-21-2016 at 10:10 PM.
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
steve99 (05-21-2016), Tcoat (05-22-2016)