follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 05-29-2016, 07:33 PM   #1
Strife26

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Series.blue
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
OFT + Launch Control = How tf?!

Ugh! The OFM + RomRaider have to be some of the least user friendly software I have ever used (I have use a lot of software being an IT guy).

Is there an easy to follow guide that explains how to setup Launch Control?

I have tried multiple times to do this myself, but I cannot figure it out. I am not sure how I would, considering all these "helpful" links give no ounce of how-to.

Examples I have been linked to:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71157

"Adjusting/Activating Launch control and Flat Foot (no lift) Shift parameters

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...launch+control (Only for Manual vehicles)Note : OFT ROM's have a special patch for these functions use the definition files from the www.openflashtablet.com website downloads page

Launch Control -LC
Basically a second RPM limiter that is active when the vehicle speed is below the threshold speed set regardless of clutch in/out.
Launch control Disable speed = speed at which Launch RPM is disabled (ie you revert to normal red-line RPM limit 7600) default = 6mph (aprox 10KmH)
Launch Control RPM Delta = Amount to subtract from your Red-line RPM to get you Launch RPM e.g. if LC RPM Delta = 3600 your Launch RPM will be 7600-3600 = 4000 RPM"

This shit links me to a picture stating that LC is available or will be soon. I am not sure how that is a guide.

I would link the link that the above link linked me to, but I already described it.

Is there a link that has an ACTUAL guide on how to setup Launch Control for a 2015 BRZ using the D00C.bin file?!

I have got the D00C to open in RomRaider, but it wasn't easy. Telling it the path results in an error, but if I right click the ACTUAL file and tell it to open with RomRaider, all of a sudden it can open it.
From there, when I expand and click on LC or FFS, nothing is there to change. A little window pops up with no data, and no way to change or adjust anything.

After reading the super help link I was linked to, it sounds like some files won't/don't have LC or cannot be adjusted or enabled? If that sounds confusing, that is what it did to me reading through the super helpful link.

I searched google for it, but it links me to the same 2 crappy posts. None of Shiv's videos go over LC or how to set it up, and all the others on youtube are people labeling their vids "How-to LC" then they show you how they can push their pedal and it has LC enabled...LAME.

Now, it could be me and I am just a freaking moron, but I usually don't have issues figuring software out after a bit of time. This one is very stubborn, though, and i don't want to spend hours figuring it out if setting up LC is as simple as it sounds like it is supposed to be.

Can anyone here help a guy out and type of a quick step by step guide on how to OPEN a bin file that can be edited, and then how to edit it, please, or provide a link that actually helps, that doesn't require me to search through 30028324 pages before I find an answer or piece one together?

Please, and if I am the dummy, I apologize. I just want to setup LC on my damn car, idiot or not.
The Following User Says Thank You to Strife26 For This Useful Post:
smg1138 (05-29-2016)
Old 05-29-2016, 08:01 PM   #2
Wayno

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
You have an old file. You can rev the car all the way to 7k when parked correct? Download the latest rom and definition from the openflash site.
Wayno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 08:06 PM   #3
Strife26

Thank you for the response. I have downloaded them, and the OFM has updated itself.

The question now becomes, how do I upload these files?

I just tried to edit one of the latest bins, and then I attempted to go to "Upload Data" in OFM, and after choosing the files I want to upload the start button is grey. Do I HAVE to add a file for each slot before i can upload?
Old 05-29-2016, 08:09 PM   #4
Strife26

Bottom left - I keep getting errors. I got x55 now x69. I don't know if this has anything to do with the upload/start button, but I couldn't find anything on either error online.
Old 05-29-2016, 08:56 PM   #5
ryoma

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
is your OFT connection to your computer securely plugged in? and you do not need to have all the slots filled in order to upload the roms.

as for setting up the LC, just download the whole ROM pack from the Open Flash website. open up RomRaider and apply the OFT definitions that you need (D00C in your case and they should be .xml files). once the definitions are applied, then open up the D00C .bin file and you should have LC values. remember that the LC value is not what your want your LC RPM value at, but rather how much value to subtract from redline. so if you have a value of 3000 set in the box, the actual LC RPM will be 4500 (assuming a 7500 redline - 3000 value). LC will also not work if you're rolling at speeds past 5 MPH I believe, or something similar to that.

as for guides, just follow Wayno's: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94822 since it basically has everything you will need to know.
Old 05-29-2016, 08:57 PM   #6
Wayno

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Close ofm, reopen, go to upload, delete them all, add the new file, then upload.
Wayno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 09:00 PM   #7
Strife26

I tried that.

I uninstalled RomRaider and OFM and my files.

I re-downloaded everything to make sure they were all new/fresh.

Now when I try to read files in RomRaider I am getting this new error...

OFM, might allow me to upload, but now I can't edit a file in order to upload it.
Old 05-29-2016, 09:38 PM   #8
Strife26

RomRaider is some garbage software and OFM isn't much better.
It is not user-friendly, there aren't any good guides out there
Errors have no explanation and vague, if any descriptions
Half the time it doesn't tell you it's still loading crap
RomRaider is especially difficult to use.

Not sure what to do now that RomRaider is giving the error from my last post for every single file no matter what.

I have installed it on multiple drives to include the root file. I have uninstalled it via deleting the folders, I have uninstalled it using the included uninstaller, I have restarted my PC, I have installed RomRaider in my Program Files and Program Files(x86) folders to see if it helped since it default opens to Program Files. I have downloaded and re-downloaded the OTS file package in case the initial is corrupt. I have updated the definition manager to include all possible locations and files, I have uninstalled OFM, RR, and all files to start from scratch, and I ran CCleaner to see if it would help clean up any left over junk, I have ran all programs as admin and installed as admin, I have drag and dropped the file on the shortcut, I have guided RR to which file I'd like, I have "Open with..." RR, to include the XML file and the BIN and they both give the error in my previous post. Nothing has changed at all.

This is some garbage software, and I could probably do better if someone is willing to pay : P, lol. FFS this garbage is frustrating and a waste of a day off. I just want launch control.

Maybe I should just go ECUTEK after all...
Old 05-29-2016, 10:11 PM   #9
Strife26

I tried more than that. I typed what I could remember doing.

I logged onto another profile.

It worked without issue, I think.

Gonna go see if I blow up my ECU or get a proper LC on it. /prays to make believe
Old 05-29-2016, 10:49 PM   #10
Strife26

FFS I got it! I had to use a different profile because RR is apparently uncooperative on my profile.

I just went for a drive so I could test the default LC (which was max RPM before redline), then I used my testlaunch.bin tune and it worked perfectly.

I think the main issue with OFM and RR is luck. I have had both of them act oddly multiple times and then just work all of a sudden. This time it took using a different profile.

I am going to try to make a real HOW TO video. Not a video showing my LC and calling it a How-to without any instructions.

Thanks all, for the input and assistance!
The Following User Says Thank You to Strife26 For This Useful Post:
Michael (05-31-2016)
Old 05-30-2016, 01:28 AM   #11
Strife26

Here is a quick video how-to. Nothing much, since there isn't much to it, but getting through the software can cause people to give up. I did, 2x before today!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Strife26 For This Useful Post:
BWilky (05-31-2016), D_Thissen (05-30-2016), Michael (05-31-2016), trvth (06-04-2016)
Old 05-30-2016, 04:29 AM   #12
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Romraider relies on Java. Could be worth making sure there's not variance between profiles on your system. Whilst Romraider isn't the most user friendly, I've found it to be ok and since it's free and the development has been done for the love of cars.... quit yer moaning

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 06:05 AM   #13
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strife26 View Post
Here is a quick video how-to. Nothing much, since there isn't much to it, but getting through the software can cause people to give up. I did, 2x before today!

Mate you seem to be pretty reasnoble with computers as you sorted your problems and produced the video.

Unfortunatly or fortunatly opensource stuff is Free, and as such it can be a bit rough round the edges and not well documented as this takes crap loads of time.

Its also often written by people who may not be programmers as their main occupation but are car enthuiasts.

Romraider and oft are completly separate organisations so they were not designed to work togeather.

maybe read the romraider tips below you seem a little confused with rom\ tune , xml files ect, best to get those sorted in your head as well as the lc\ffs rom patch and oft rom caild alterations and how to recognise them as is better than bricking your ecu :-).
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 08:22 AM   #14
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:

Quote:
FFS I got it! I had to use a different profile because RR is apparently uncooperative on my profile.

I just went for a drive so I could test the default LC (which was max RPM before redline), then I used my testlaunch.bin tune and it worked perfectly.

I think the main issue with OFM and RR is luck. I have had both of them act oddly multiple times and then just work all of a sudden. This time it took using a different profile.

I am going to try to make a real HOW TO video. Not a video showing my LC and calling it a How-to without any instructions.

Thanks all, for the input and assistance!

You got a major java issue, OFM is in no way associated with romraider, I along with other people have had 0 issues, it may be your rigs fault either a java issue at first or a registry issue.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote