follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 08-30-2015, 05:29 PM   #1
burdickjp

Drives: 2013 ultramarine Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Fidanza flywheel review

I've put in quite a few Fidanza flywheels over the years. I've had them in Civics, MR2s, and an AE86s.
They were all characterized by needing quite a bit of throttle to get going. The lack of rotational inertia was rather obvious.

I just dropped a Fidanza in my FR-S with an Exedy OEM replacement clutch and Driveshaftshop aluminum driveshaft.
I've been thus far surprised at the driving characteristics. The only time I notice the lack of rotational inertia is how quickly revs fall from high RPMs. Starting from a stop is not at all difficult.

If you're considering a flywheel and are expecting the Fidanza to behave as it does on lower displacement or lower powered cars, it doesn't.

I have noticed quite a bit more drivetrain noise below 2500 RPM. It sounds like lugging up to about 2200 RPM. Makes some sense, but it is a negative, as that's around-town RPMs. I think the one piece driveshaft probably contributes to that.

Anyway. That's my thoughts. Please comment or ask any questions.

Sent from my XT1045 using Tapatalk

Last edited by burdickjp; 08-30-2015 at 07:21 PM.
burdickjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 07:25 PM   #2
ChrisD

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bur****jp View Post
I've put in quite a few Fidanza flywheels over the years. I've had them in Civics, MR2s, and an AE86s.
They were all characterized by needing quite a bit of throttle to get going. The lack of rotational inertia was rather obvious.

I just dropped a Fidanza in my FR-S with an Exedy OEM replacement clutch and Driveshaftshop aluminum driveshaft.
I've been thus far surprised at the driving characteristics. The only time I notice the lack of rotational inertia is how quickly revs fall from high RPMs. Starting from a stop is not at all difficult.

If you're considering a flywheel and are expecting the Fidanza to behave as it does on lower displacement or lower powered cars, it doesn't.

I have noticed quite a bit more drivetrain noise below 2500 RPM. It sounds like lugging up to about 2200 RPM. Makes some sense, but it is a negative, as that's around-town RPMs. I think the one piece driveshaft probably contributes to that.

Anyway. That's my thoughts. Please comment or ask any questions.

I had a similar opinion after getting mine installed - didn't seem to make much noticeable difference to performance. I've also noticed a lot of noise under 2500 RPM as well. Tempted to swap back to the stock flywheel just to get rid of the horrible noise tbh
AVO Stage 4 Turbo, Carrillo forged con rods, 10:1 CR Carrillo pistons, AVO 3 inch turbo back exhaust, Helix clutch, TheDriveShaftShop drive shafts, lightweight flywheel, NamelessPerformance hydraulic hand brake, KW V3 coilovers... and lots of other little bits
ChrisD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 09:02 AM   #3
celek
Resident Gear Head

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Not sure if the flywheel is making the noise or that you have paired it to a Aluminum driveshaft at the same time which its a hollow resonating tube.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:45 AM   #4
ChrisD

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by celek View Post
Not sure if the flywheel is making the noise or that you have paired it to a Aluminum driveshaft at the same time which its a hollow resonating tube.
Mine is still on the stock drive shaft (well, we call it a prop shaft here in the UK) and I get the same horrible noise he's talking about when the engine is bogging down a little and I didn't notice that much before I got the new flywheel installed
AVO Stage 4 Turbo, Carrillo forged con rods, 10:1 CR Carrillo pistons, AVO 3 inch turbo back exhaust, Helix clutch, TheDriveShaftShop drive shafts, lightweight flywheel, NamelessPerformance hydraulic hand brake, KW V3 coilovers... and lots of other little bits
ChrisD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 09:58 AM   #5
OkieSnuffBox

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,230 Times in 703 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
It's the transmission if it's a "rattle" sound. The lighter flywheel doesn't dampen the power pulses as much so you're hearing the clearance between the gears.

Not a big deal.
OkieSnuffBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 09:58 AM   #6
celek
Resident Gear Head

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisD View Post
Mine is still on the stock drive shaft (well, we call it a prop shaft here in the UK) and I get the same horrible noise he's talking about when the engine is bogging down a little and I didn't notice that much before I got the new flywheel installed
OE clutch or upgraded?
Many people complaining about upgraded clutch on stock flywheel making noises as well.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:00 AM   #7
OkieSnuffBox

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,230 Times in 703 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
^"I put race car parts on my car, why aren't they as quite as OEM?"
OkieSnuffBox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OkieSnuffBox For This Useful Post:
celek (08-31-2015)
Old 08-31-2015, 12:53 PM   #8
burdickjp

Drives: 2013 ultramarine Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I wouldn't describe it as horrible. It makes more noise. It's understandable.

burdickjp is offline   Reply With Quote