follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 12-26-2013, 04:59 PM   #1
Rhamzy

Drives: Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Problems with NEXUS 7 Install

Hey all, (first post)

INTRO (skip this part if you dont care)

As a proud owner of a SCION FRS '13, not only as my primary vehicle, but my first, I found myself doing something that I have never been able to do before: altering it. Ive been stalking the forums for the past few months. It has probably been the greatest resource in regards to my FRS. Ive found about everything from tires, kits, electronics, etc.

I recently did a NEXUS 7 install into my dashboard. I researched a bunch of posts and guides online and on this site (TYVM for all the help). Im in the process of building a guide on my site. I sort of altered it from the ones I found online, but they were a great starting point.

PROBLEM (help would be appreciated)

However, the problems Im having with my Nexus 7, is that it periodically runs out of batteries. Obviously its a battery operating tablet. However, the way its mounted (behind the OEM plastic bracket) makes the power button inaccessible. It also makes it taking it out on a weekly basis (or at all) annoying and fearful of the plastic's cyclic capabilities. My temporary solution has been to use a battery pack overnight to charge it overnight. Ive used a power alternator and a 2.1Amp charging station. Both have failed to sustain a full charge. I dont drive more than a total of a few hours a week. This means the time Im actually activating the charger (aka. time when the car is on) is not enough to counter the drain from my idle processes. Any suggestions on fixes? Any help would be appreciated

Ive also noticed that my Scion does not produce as drastic as a charge compared to when I charge my phone in other cars. Is this a possible battery or electronic fault?

THANKS (you can skip this part too if you want)

Before, I forget, I would like to thank EVERYONE on this site. Its fucking REMARKABLE that there is a community as awesome as this (sorry for the language, just pointing something out). Every Google search about my car has led to this site and answered it. The community is helpful, funny, and above all passionate about their cars.

Just a special thanks and shout out to Dezoris for his guides on this install (located here). I used his guide as a base, but I put my own twist on it. If anyone can send him a PM (not sure how) and thank him from a newbie, that would be awesome. Im kind of stupid in regards to forums, so please let me know if I am violating any rules (like areas of posting, linking, etc).

-Rhamzy
Rhamzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 01:15 AM   #2
hasfoot

Drives: 2013 fr-s
Why don't you try hooking it up to a power magic pro?
hasfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 03:43 AM   #3
ucsmfu

Drives: BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
You need a customized Rom. Search timurs USB rom. And you'll need a 12v converter. Hardwired to your fuse box
ucsmfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 11:02 AM   #4
Rhamzy

Drives: Scion FRS
Thanks for the reply. Do you know if you can turn off the charging while parked with the power magic pro? I keep my tablet in developer mode so that it stays lit while it is charging. Id prefer it if it didnt stay on when I left the car, like it would if it remained charging with the Power Magic Pro.
Rhamzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 03:10 AM   #5
phanguy

Drives: Scion FR-S Ultramarine
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
make sure you have the right charger for it. also make sure you're using a cable that works. i tried using a generic cable and i had the same problem. using it's official cable rectified it. i posted about it somewhere as well. if you're doing a custom rom that's fine, but if you're running a 2013 nexus 7 then there is no timur rom for it. there are other good roms though. you may want to look at other kernels though.
phanguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 12:08 PM   #6
Prog

Drives: 2016 Cadillac CTS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
How much power are you losing overnight? With a 2013 Nexus 7, you should only be losing 2 or 3 percent on stock ROM/kernel if you have it set up properly.
Prog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 03:43 AM   #7
ike44

Drives: Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I use Timurs Rom which allows for multiple usb devices and even then I can keep my tablet on 24/7 (timurs rom has a deep sleep state when no power is detected) just fine. I do, however, keep my brightness <=50%. Also, make sure your power is on AC mode and not USB mode. You can check by going to "about" and then "status".
ike44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dezoris, nexus7