follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 08-27-2014, 06:04 AM   #85
Target70

Drives: 2013 Asphalt 6spd
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
It had nothing to do with a monetary value being put on anything. We're talking about saving time because that's what this is supposed to do, help save time. I'm talking about the amount of time to install it plus the amount of time someone would have to work to make the money to pay for this. After all time involved, even if someone makes say $30 an hour to pay for this kit which for arguments sake lets say cost $30. That's 1 hour of labor to pay for this kit. 60 minutes into seconds = 3600 seconds. Each time to turn off the TC system take approximately 3 second so 3600/3 and you get 1200. That's 1200 times you could push the button before you would actually "save" that time. That doesn't include the install time. Like I said before, even if it was a 5 minute install, 5 minutes x 60 seconds is 300 seconds. 300/3 = 100 more times to hold down the traction control button before you would "save" the time involved.

But like you said

I know I'm probably over thinking it way too much but it all goes back to, it's only 3 seconds. And if you're at the track and you spin out or stall, well that run/pass/lap is ruined anyways so you should have plenty of time to hold down that button for 3 seconds again.
I get where you are coming from on the time in vs time out, but as someone who has done essentially the same mod, for me anyway, It is more about the hassle of spending time doing something you would rather not be doing, vs spending the same or even more time doing something you don't mind or actually like doing. And that's on top of having to think about it often and repeatedly so you don't forget and run into other problems like the car surprising you by not behaving like you expect it to vs fixing it once and never worrying about it again. I think it's similar to how every car now has remote door locks. Sure you could save the expense, weight, and complexity, and take an extra 5 seconds to slide your key into the door lock, but to a lot of people, they would rather spend an extra $500 on a car with keyless entry, vs the 5 seconds they would spend unlocking their door. The same could also be said about power windows/seats/mirrors really. Sure there are other perks like when you have your hands full, but the same can be said when you have one hand on the wheel, and one on the shifter, or radio.. etc.. just another inconvenience you have to deal with. Also while I personally didn't want to spend time doing this mod, OP seems like he enjoyed the challenge/creativity. Another example because I can't help myself, is If I come up to a light that just turns red, and I know it is one of those long ones, but I can pull a right and go around it by going a mile or 2 out of my way, I'll often take the detour, just because I would rather be moving than sitting in traffic. Sure it will cost me more in gas, and maybe more in time, but damn it, I hate waiting in traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mig86 View Post
Whats a CCA Blank?

The circuit intentonaly doesn't use any digital chips (like 555 timers).
These are susecptable to nosie and can flase trigger in this type of circuit.
For simplicity it's just an R/C timer triggering a FET.
The other transistors are there to discharge the system quickly when the ignition is switched off. This was originaly for seatbelt warning light which are required when registering a home made car in Australia.
CCA = circuit card assembly. Although I guess it wouldn't be an assembly if it was a blank. You said you reused a circuit from that seat belt project, so I was just curious where you got the board itself as it looks professionally made with component numbers and all. At first I though you had a blank card made and populated it yourself, but maybe I was wrong and you had the whole assembly professionally made, components and all, and just re purposed it to work with the traction control? And cool on the circuit, I didn't even think you could usie basic resistors and caps as a timer. I would have thought you would need an oscillator, or some frequency generating device to act a timer, but I can understand using the transistor as the relay/switch. I guess I have been too long out of school. I repair circuit cards down to component level by trade, but they almost always are digital based. I never ventured into circuit design or engineering. Your setup looks really good, so I was just looking for some more details, like where others could find that circuit card you are using, or would they have to build it themselves.

Last edited by Target70; 08-27-2014 at 06:21 AM.
Target70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 07:45 AM   #86
mig86

Drives: MY15 86 GTS
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Ok. I guess in Australia we call it a PCB (printed circuit board). Haven't heard CCA before.

I did design it. Had a small run made and assembled myself. For me this type of thing is pretty straight forward.

The downside of this circuit is that it isn't very accurate (time wise). But for this purpose that doesn't matter and the robustness is more critical.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk
mig86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 07:46 AM   #87
mig86

Drives: MY15 86 GTS
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Happy to sell some in kit or assembled. Think I have 30ish left.

mig86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:44 AM   #88
sluflyer06

Drives: 2014 BRZ Ltd - DGM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Not trying to thrash on your idea here, but seriously people, it's 3 seconds. With all the time and effort involved to make this a functional kit, even if it took only 5 minutes to install and only cost $30 for the kit, depending on how much you make an hour, you could do the 3 second feature over 1000 times before you would see a return on your "investment".
Nothing about a car is an investment, you yourself lost this game as soon as you bought a FRS. In fact seeing that you're supercharged means you really don't know how to use your money well, so don't go preaching to people about 'return on investment' as someone who dumps large amounts of money into a depreciating asset on parts that also depreciate.

Anything more than the absolute bare minimum transportation that can get you to work is a bad use of your money but nobody here bought a FRS/BRZ because it was a good investment.
sluflyer06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:50 AM   #89
Roadcone
StreetKart

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S Monogram
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
so, where can we buy this... this lazy ass american is tired of holding down buttons
Old 08-27-2014, 11:22 AM   #90
Dustin
Twin Screw You

Drives: 2013 Supercharged Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sluflyer06 View Post
Nothing about a car is an investment, you yourself lost this game as soon as you bought a FRS. In fact seeing that you're supercharged means you really don't know how to use your money well, so don't go preaching to people about 'return on investment' as someone who dumps large amounts of money into a depreciating asset on parts that also depreciate.

Anything more than the absolute bare minimum transportation that can get you to work is a bad use of your money but nobody here bought a FRS/BRZ because it was a good investment.
Again, I wasn't referring to the investment as monetary no matter if you or the OP keep insisting that is what I meant by it. I was referring to the TIME invested vs the TIME saved. That is what this mod is for correct? To save time? I know well enough that nothing you do to a car will be a monetary investment that you will get a return on. Anyone who thinks so is a fool.

Again, I now it's me over thinking it. It just seems ridiculous to me to do this to save a couple of seconds when you get in your car. I guess if you get a sense of accomplishment out if it then that's all that matter. Out of 86,400 seconds in a day you saved 2-3.
Dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 11:47 AM   #91
phobos512

Drives: 2014 FR-S 6MT Whiteout
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Again, I wasn't referring to the investment as monetary no matter if you or the OP keep insisting that is what I meant by it. I was referring to the TIME invested vs the TIME saved. That is what this mod is for correct? To save time? I know well enough that nothing you do to a car will be a monetary investment that you will get a return on. Anyone who thinks so is a fool.

Again, I now it's me over thinking it. It just seems ridiculous to me to do this to save a couple of seconds when you get in your car. I guess if you get a sense of accomplishment out if it then that's all that matter. Out of 86,400 seconds in a day you saved 2-3.
These auto switches are made for many platforms, not just the FR-S, so while we hear your concerns, there's clearly a market for items like this. In the GTO (Holden Monaro) world we had a circuit card that plugged onto the bottom of the Traction Control switch in the dash that would do a timed off signal after startup just like this (slightly more plug and play, obviously). Also they exist for various Audi/Subie models as well.
Old 08-27-2014, 12:21 PM   #92
DarrenDriven
NW Region Moderator

Drives: FR-S No More
Thanked 3,186 Times in 1,091 Posts
Mentioned: 300 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Garage
@mig86, you aren't the first to do this... hehe, but I will roll this topic into the others.

I did this 2+ years ago, then @2superblus refined my circuit, and now you have yet another way.

Combined with the other topic.

Last edited by DarrenDriven; 08-27-2014 at 12:35 PM.
DarrenDriven is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarrenDriven For This Useful Post:
2superblus (08-27-2014)
Old 08-27-2014, 01:56 PM   #93
FLYFISHR

Drives: 2014 BR"ZED" Sport-tech DGM MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Hey All,

If there is any interested in the parts or instructions to hook up - let me know.

-Mig
Add me to the list
Old 08-27-2014, 03:18 PM   #94
stugray
Banned

Drives: 2013 GBS BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,445 Times in 711 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Buy a beetle microcontroller for $7 and skip the PCB design.
stugray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 03:20 PM   #95
Target70

Drives: 2013 Asphalt 6spd
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
first off, wow that was confusing (refering to the merging of the two threads.. now my earler post has a link to the same thread that it's in)

Quote:
Ok. I guess in Australia we call it a PCB (printed circuit board). Haven't heard CCA before.

I did design it. Had a small run made and assembled myself. For me this type of thing is pretty straight forward.

The downside of this circuit is that it isn't very accurate (time wise). But for this purpose that doesn't matter and the robustness is more critical.

PCB is a more apt description, and in production we use the same term. I just blanked on the name. I work on assembled circuit cards which can have other cards or large units plugged into them, thus the name CCA

I would think it is still accurate to +/(-) 5% depending on component tolerance, but you are right about the robustness/reliability. I have had the thought that the TDR-M module I am using will go bad at some point, but your design looks like it will run 30+ years with no problems.
Old 08-27-2014, 03:27 PM   #96
FLYFISHR

Drives: 2014 BR"ZED" Sport-tech DGM MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stugray View Post
Buy a beetle microcontroller for $7 and skip the PCB design.
I only wish i knew what that was. VW?
Old 08-27-2014, 04:08 PM   #97
serial gixxer

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

But it isnt just about time.. its also about convenience. Do i need keyless entry? No. It only takes a sec to push a button right? But keyless sure is nice.

I would love the ability to keep traction control off at all times until i enable it.
serial gixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 05:29 PM   #98
stugray
Banned

Drives: 2013 GBS BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,445 Times in 711 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYFISHR View Post
I only wish i knew what that was. VW?
http://www.dfrobot.com/wiki/index.ph...2#Example_Code

It is an arduino based microcontroller .
a USB cable and you can program the io pins to do anything you want.
For this application it would be 1 pin and 5 lines of code.
stugray is offline   Reply With Quote