follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 11-24-2016, 08:38 PM   #1
Dabrown

Drives: Black 2013 scion frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
OFT+OFH running rich

ok so i have tried to find a solution for my problem that has just popped up out of no where. i have looked around for a solution in these forums and cant find a similar problem mine or i cant search for the exact problem im having.
i've had this tablet and header since May. i've ran the E85 tunes since then with no problems and the changed my oil every 3,500 miles. But at the end of September i switched it over to 91oct tune since it was going to get cold and i didnt want to mess with cold starts or adding 91oct into the mix of E85. Drove around for the first tank of 91 easy. it was reading a little rich which i thought it was fine due to 91 tune. but then on the second tank it started getting FLKC all the time no matter what throttle input i gave it. drove easy still and waited for the 3rd tank thinking i got bad gas on the second one. 3rd tank comes around and it gets worse. FLKC are anywhere from -.69 to -3!
so then i decide to go back to E85 thinking it was a bad tune i must have flashed and wanted to get back to a safe tune. flashed E85 tune... drove fine in the first tank mixed with a little of 91 still left in there. the moment i go to the second tank of E85 my LTFT go up like crazy! on start on and warm up they go as high as 25% and during cruise they climbing up to 15% and under acceleration they only settle around 3% to 8% and hardly getting to 0%. some times under hard acceleration without going WOT it will occasionally hit 0%.
ok, so thinking again maybe bad E85 i decide to go to another station and fill up with E85 on 3rd tank. the warm up seem to settle close to 0% but the LTFT sit and dont move at all at 17% on idle.... i drive around for about 100miles letting it learn the "new tank" and i only manage to get the LTFT down to 10% on WOT which is reading 11.25 AFR and the commanded AFR is at 12.59 for those of you that know E85 are supposed to be there. on my 4th tank i start thinking that maybe something is clogging the intake so there for its not getting enough air and its injecting way too much fuel, i unplug the intel that goes to the airbox where the airfilter is. thinking that maybe there was something clogging it and to see if that would allow a little more air in. which it does for about 50miles the STFT drop down to -7% to -12% and its starts running lean again up to 15 AFR on cruise and the LTFT start to drop down to 7% on WOT. happy thinking that maybe there was something stuck on the inlet i decide to run it like this until the LTFT drop down to 0%. but... after this they climb right backup !!! on warm on they now hit up to 27% STFT and LTFT are at 22%! under cruise and acceleration they go back up to around 7%-15% STFT but the AFR are around normal 14.5 - 15.20 and my LTFT on WOT are at 14% running 11.25 AFR!! IM so frustrated and cant figure out why its doing this!
i have flashed 4 different E85 tunes now and this is my 5th tank and still doing the same thing! any help or suggestions! please!

here is a log i did when this started happening

http://www.datazap.me/u/dabrown/runn...5512&mark=4168
Dabrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 09:57 PM   #2
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabrown View Post
ok so i have tried to find a solution for my problem that has just popped up out of no where. i have looked around for a solution in these forums and cant find a similar problem mine or i cant search for the exact problem im having.
i've had this tablet and header since May. i've ran the E85 tunes since then with no problems and the changed my oil every 3,500 miles. But at the end of September i switched it over to 91oct tune since it was going to get cold and i didnt want to mess with cold starts or adding 91oct into the mix of E85. Drove around for the first tank of 91 easy. it was reading a little rich which i thought it was fine due to 91 tune. but then on the second tank it started getting FLKC all the time no matter what throttle input i gave it. drove easy still and waited for the 3rd tank thinking i got bad gas on the second one. 3rd tank comes around and it gets worse. FLKC are anywhere from -.69 to -3!
so then i decide to go back to E85 thinking it was a bad tune i must have flashed and wanted to get back to a safe tune. flashed E85 tune... drove fine in the first tank mixed with a little of 91 still left in there. the moment i go to the second tank of E85 my LTFT go up like crazy! on start on and warm up they go as high as 25% and during cruise they climbing up to 15% and under acceleration they only settle around 3% to 8% and hardly getting to 0%. some times under hard acceleration without going WOT it will occasionally hit 0%.
ok, so thinking again maybe bad E85 i decide to go to another station and fill up with E85 on 3rd tank. the warm up seem to settle close to 0% but the LTFT sit and dont move at all at 17% on idle.... i drive around for about 100miles letting it learn the "new tank" and i only manage to get the LTFT down to 10% on WOT which is reading 11.25 AFR and the commanded AFR is at 12.59 for those of you that know E85 are supposed to be there. on my 4th tank i start thinking that maybe something is clogging the intake so there for its not getting enough air and its injecting way too much fuel, i unplug the intel that goes to the airbox where the airfilter is. thinking that maybe there was something clogging it and to see if that would allow a little more air in. which it does for about 50miles the STFT drop down to -7% to -12% and its starts running lean again up to 15 AFR on cruise and the LTFT start to drop down to 7% on WOT. happy thinking that maybe there was something stuck on the inlet i decide to run it like this until the LTFT drop down to 0%. but... after this they climb right backup !!! on warm on they now hit up to 27% STFT and LTFT are at 22%! under cruise and acceleration they go back up to around 7%-15% STFT but the AFR are around normal 14.5 - 15.20 and my LTFT on WOT are at 14% running 11.25 AFR!! IM so frustrated and cant figure out why its doing this!
i have flashed 4 different E85 tunes now and this is my 5th tank and still doing the same thing! any help or suggestions! please!

here is a log i did when this started happening

http://www.datazap.me/u/dabrown/runn...5512&mark=4168

did you or someone else edit the tunes ? as its weird that the commanded AFR is over 15 in some places, it might be a logging issue though.

Id say you have an exhaust air leak before or near the front 02 sensor.

could be cracked header loose bolts at engine block or overpipe etc

or dirty maf sensor

clogged air filter

or bad maf or 02 sensor

did you use new gaskets of you installed header.
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 10:26 PM   #3
Wayno

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
+1 you have something effecting the O2 sensors, any of those things Steve said.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WnM_NsOtd8&index=20&list=PLKQS2gNIDMggela-mTBPpzT9P2TeKCgXb"]Secret of Engine Problem Diagnosis- Fuel Trims Pt.1 - YouTube[/ame]

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
did you or someone else edit the tunes ? as its weird that the commanded AFR is over 15 in some places, it might be a logging issue though.

Id say you have an exhaust air leak before or near the front 02 sensor.

could be cracked header loose bolts at engine block or overpipe etc

or dirty maf sensor

clogged air filter

or bad maf or 02 sensor

did you use new gaskets of you installed header.
Wayno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wayno For This Useful Post:
ap5512 (11-28-2016), menikmati (11-24-2016), Teseo (11-25-2016)
Old 11-25-2016, 03:26 AM   #4
Dabrown

i have been using Wayno's tunes all along, im the one who copied them over and that was it. i havent touched anything else other than copied table per table over to my CALID. i had never had any issues at all on any of his revisions. i even copied over the AT tune one time by accident and ran it like that for 2 tanks and it was nice have this instant torque feel by barely touching the gas LOL. but then i switched back to the MT tunes. but even then when i had the AT tune and ran some logs it all came out just fine with no issues even running around cruise and idle.

i did install new gasket at the time header install. the air filter and intake all seems fine, i double checked that and made sure it closed properly without any issues so that way theres no air leak, i even uplugged all lines to intake and put them back in just to make sure there were no "accidental" lose hoses or anything like that.
so i was starting to think it could be one of the sensors that was going bad or dirty just like you said.
ill have to get them checked out or replaced but dont have time for that right now. is there a way to clean the MAF (hoping thats the only issue)?

also thanks for the suggestions (dont know how to "thank" someone's post yet)
Old 11-25-2016, 01:39 PM   #5
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Get first 10 posts to enable thank-ing button.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 05:37 PM   #6
Dabrown

Found the problem guys!!

Old 11-25-2016, 05:44 PM   #7
steve99
Banned

Quote:
Found the problem guys!!

haha , yes that will cause you some problems :-)

if you have it put a very small amount of hi temp antiseize on the o2 sensor threads (be very carefull not to get any on sensor tip.) then torque sensor to required torque.
Old 11-25-2016, 05:53 PM   #8
Dabrown

I'll have to go buy some and then maybe another sensor cuz I noticed the threads on the sensor are a little screwed, like the body shop that did it over tightened them
Old 11-25-2016, 06:47 PM   #9
steve99
Banned

Quote:
I'll have to go buy some and then maybe another sensor cuz I noticed the threads on the sensor are a little screwed, like the body shop that did it over tightened them

hmmm,

id get an M18 by 1.5mm pitch thread tap/chaser and run it through the 02 sensor bung. They often distort when they weld them in then if the shop forced the sensors in it strips the threads in sensor.

Clean up the threads in header first else the new sensor will strip as well, they should screw in pretty easy.

If you clean up the header threads the old sensor might go in ok.
Old 11-25-2016, 10:40 PM   #10
Wayno

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quote:
They just don't come loose by themselves. The wire would have to twist around on itself 5 times.
Wayno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 12:23 AM   #11
Dabrown

yea idk what happened to cause it to come lose, but good thing it was just that and nothing too serious.
ill have to go get the taper/chaser next when i have time. so today i just slightly tighten it enough so its not reading all crazy which its working for now, cuz i reflashed the tune and have been driving around like this for now and no issues now
but ill for sure go get that stuff next weekend and also cuz this is my daily so ill drive easy until i get it fixed.

and i have no idea how that came loose at all. ive been thinking about it all night and the only thing that comes close would be all the bumps we have around here cuz most of the roads arent smooth so all the vibrations and the pressure of the exhaust caused it to come loose (my only possible theory)
Old 11-26-2016, 07:45 AM   #12
oldgunfan

Drives: 2014 BRZ sterling silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayno View Post
They just don't come loose by themselves. The wire would have to twist around on itself 5 times.
Yea i'm with Wayno on that one. If they had it tight than the wire would have been twisted around. The person that install it had to know there was a problem, they probably only had a thread or two holding it in.
oldgunfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 11:30 AM   #13
Dabrown

well good thing is that its reading good again.
ill have to get it fixed next week

*an update up on the readings*

the cruise climbs to as high as 10% STFT but i noticed that with the air on (heater to stay warm) and it drops down to -4% with the air turned off.
the LTFT are at -3% for now but thats just on 40miles learned
i just did a few pulls and its reading at 12.40 AFR now
The Following User Says Thank You to Dabrown For This Useful Post:
Lonewolf (11-26-2016)
Old 11-27-2016, 08:51 PM   #14
Dabrown

just wanted to give a small update, after running 150miles with the sensor tightened

http://www.datazap.me/u/dabrown/fixe...3275&mark=3177