follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 12-14-2015, 06:05 AM   #1
mhiscott

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Whiteline bushing inserts vs. full bushing replacements

Has anyone tried both the whiteline bushing inserts for the rear differential and rear subframe as well as the actual full bushing replacements they sell?

I'm curious if there is a noticeable performance difference between the two options. Currently my rear diff bushings are stock, but I do have the rear subframe insert kit. I'm on the fence about getting another insert kit for the rear diff, versus replacing the original bushings entirely.

I will have the rear subframe out for a cleanup and respray, so it wouldn't be much more work to burn out the OEM bushings and upgrade.

Thoughts?

Car is used for DD and track time attack.
mhiscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 03:37 PM   #2
ryoma

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
since you will have the subframe out already, I would say go for the full replacement bushings. it probably won't be worlds different from the inserts, but at least you were going to do half of the work regardless.
Old 12-14-2015, 04:03 PM   #3
jvincent

Drives: 2022 WRB BRZ Sport-Tech
Thanked 1,410 Times in 715 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Yeah, the big plus of the inserts, I have them, is that you don't need to actually take the sub-frame off. The PITA factor of doing that pretty much rules it out for most people.

If you're going to have it off anyway, go for it.
jvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 05:16 PM   #4
mhiscott

Thing is, I already have the inserts and they seem to work well. There's no point throwing money away getting full bushings if they perform identically to the inserts.

From one video I've seen of the rear subframe of a car with and without the inserts in an autox event, I'm not sure there's much more on the table as far as holding the subframe rigidly to the car.
Old 12-14-2015, 05:41 PM   #5
ryoma

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
they might seem to work well now, but I'm assuming the OEM rubber will get fatigued eventually even with the added support of the inserts. but then, it will be more work to take off the subframe just to replace the bushing. might as well do it now. though, the same thing can be said about the new bushings but they should last longer than the OEM rubber
Old 12-15-2015, 08:36 AM   #6
mhiscott

I'm leaning towards doing the full bushings now. The price delta is pretty insignificant, and it will allow me to do a nicer job coating the subframe.
Old 12-15-2015, 10:17 AM   #7
Gear_One_Performance

Drives: 2014 BRZ SCCA STU endurance car
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhiscott View Post
I'm leaning towards doing the full bushings now. The price delta is pretty insignificant, and it will allow me to do a nicer job coating the subframe.
As long as you can get an alignment right after this is the better way to go, just watch out when getting the old bushings out as they're oil filled.
Gear_One_Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 11:45 AM   #8
emirdtm

Drives: Toyobaru
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I have the whiteline rear full subframe bushings big difference the rear end feels a lot more solid,no play, and connected to the car I personally love it. It is a big job but totally worth it do the 4 diff mounts to while you are at it that's even a bigger improvement no drivetrain slop or play.
emirdtm is offline   Reply With Quote