follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2016, 06:00 PM   #15
Kimsey47

Drives: 2016 STI DGM
Thanked 1,460 Times in 662 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I lived in Europe for nearly 10 years... Their drivers are just as bad as anywhere else in the world I've driven. They were just as selective on their laws as we are here in the States. This thread is useless.
Celica00 (07-02-2016), Tcoat (07-02-2016)
Old 07-02-2016, 06:09 PM   #16
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
I think I do understand the point you were making. You were trying to call us hypocrites for supporting some laws and not others.

The problem with that is that this thread wasn't about laws. It was about rude and dangerous driving, and going five or ten miles over the speed limit does not automatically equate to rude or dangerous driving. You know that I drive a tremendous number of miles, and the dangerous things I see people do every day rarely have anything to do with speeding. Even when speeding is involved, it's not actually the speeding that is rude or dangerous, but other actions like cutting people off, passing carelessly or tailgating people who are traveling slower. Having a radar detector (mine's a Valentine 1, by the way) to alert a driver to when he's under electronic surveillance does not mean that driver is doing any of that.

I find it ironic that you corrected the original poster for making unfounded generalizations about Americans, then in the very next sentence did the exact same thing yourself.
How the hell can you discuss bad drivers without laws being part of the equation?
You are still focused on speed. That was just an example. Of course there are other things involved I did not say otherwise.
Radar detector is a device with no other purpose other than to circumvent the law. There is zero purpose to have one unles you intend to speed. Why the hell would anybody care if there is radar if they are not speeding? To increase their paranoid conspiracy theory self rightous ideals?
My point was never intended to say peopl are hypocritical just that even the worst driver on the road thinks they are fine and it is everybody else that sucks. They are oviously wrong but that is what they think.
Old 07-02-2016, 06:12 PM   #17
rastapete

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Meh, drivers suck everywhere. The top countries treat driving more as a privilege than a right. We have lax standards and Mustangs.

http://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/c...ts/by-country/
Interesting chart. Of course one of the shortcomings of Traffic fatalities as a metric for quality of driving is that emergency response infrastructure and trauma care are going to be big variables that affect the outcomes.
Old 07-02-2016, 06:13 PM   #18
Celica00

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Just spent 2 weeks in 6 countries in Europe. Germans are easily the best I dealt with by a long shot. And France was like if you didn't die on your way to your destination, you should fall to your knees and thank your respective higher power.

So just from personal experience, Americans are about middle of the road in worst drivers. Emphasis on personal experience. Different results may occur to others. It's all relative to what irks you the most.
The Following User Says Thank You to Celica00 For This Useful Post:
FR-S 264 (07-02-2016)
Old 07-02-2016, 06:19 PM   #19
Packofcrows
hey you, yeah you <3

Drives: 2014 37J FR-S
Thanked 1,258 Times in 809 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Its overall greatly due to a lack of education. Drove in CAN, MX and Ireland. Amazing drivers. US.... non stop tailgating all the time almost every time. Speeding everywhere! Funny its both young and old!

IMO ive noticed the more educated a pop is, the more calm drivers and gentle they are... MX being an exception lol Least where I drove in MX. Its crazy how peeps drive there, yet when I was there, there were zero accidents.

11yrs driving. Clean record here.
Old 07-02-2016, 06:21 PM   #20
Ultramaroon
chicken tonight

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,603 Times in 18,973 Posts
Mentioned: 1108 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rastapete View Post
Interesting chart. Of course one of the shortcomings of Traffic fatalities as a metric for quality of driving is that emergency response infrastructure and trauma care are going to be big variables that affect the outcomes.
Oh, of course. I just picked the first example that wasn't wikipedia and seemed apropos.

I was expecting the U.S. to be higher on the list. Maybe we really do suck more.
Old 07-02-2016, 06:30 PM   #21
Impureclient
Banned

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Thanked 2,903 Times in 1,282 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Radar detectors are a sticky subject especially when they are linked to bad driving habits. As much as they seem like a way to sidestep laws, for me they are mainly a way just to keep law enforcement from penalizing normal driving practices that do no harm.
Going 10 mph over the posted speed limit doesn't kill, not paying attention due to texting, poor vehicle maintenance, not knowing the vehicles capabilities for braking/turning, playing with radio, sleep deprivation, etc are of much more harm but unfortunately aren't a ticket-able offense. I also follow the theory that everybody around me driving is trying to kill me and that seems to be working out well in keeping me alive.
I got several speeding tickets up until I got a radar detector. Nothing changed except me not paying for tickets after getting the radar detector. I still go above the speed limit as do 99.99% of drivers.
I know it is illegal to go 50 in a 45 but I will continue to do it along with other drivers(law enforcement included) following the flow or traffic and I will continue not getting speeding tickets for going 5-10 miles above the posted speed limit.
I know I drive faster than I'm supposed to but I also pay attention more due to that since response times will be decreased at higher speeds. I also put myself ahead of bad traffic and slow/unstable drivers making my commute safer.
The detector, better awareness along with driving a small agile car has kept me from harm and lame tickets many more times than I can count.

Also, as mentioned already it is true that Florida is one of the worst areas to drive. As soon as I leave here I am greatly appreciative of other states drivers and do not look forward to coming back to drive here.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Impureclient For This Useful Post:
extrashaky (07-02-2016), FR-S 264 (07-02-2016), soulreapersteve (07-04-2016), Tcoat (07-02-2016)
Old 07-02-2016, 06:35 PM   #22
ogrowup

Drives: Asphalt build in progress
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
My apologies, many American drivers do suck but compared to the video of Taiwanese drivers or Russian dash cams we are saints. And yes, that was a generalization. Out west I've noticed drivers stay out of the left lane, as they also do in the south. In both the west and the south there are wide open roads, and up to 75mph highways. I live in the metro DC area, home of the worst traffic in the States, and some seriously myopic drivers. I think the people that camp out in the left lane cause the most problems because they create congestion and frustration.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ogrowup For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (07-02-2016), Ultramaroon (07-02-2016)
Old 07-02-2016, 06:48 PM   #23
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impureclient View Post
Radar detectors are a sticky subject especially when they are linked to bad driving habits. As much as they seem like a way to sidestep laws, for me they are mainly a way just to keep law enforcement from penalizing normal driving practices that do no harm.
Going 10 mph over the posted speed limit doesn't kill, not paying attention due to texting, poor vehicle maintenance, not knowing the vehicles capabilities for braking/turning, playing with radio, sleep deprivation, etc are of much more harm but unfortunately aren't a ticket-able offense. I also follow the theory that everybody around me driving is trying to kill me and that seems to be working out well in keeping me alive.
I got several speeding tickets up until I got a radar detector. Nothing changed except me not paying for tickets after getting the radar detector. I still go above the speed limit as do 99.99% of drivers.
I know it is illegal to go 50 in a 45 but I will continue to do it along with other drivers(law enforcement included) following the flow or traffic and I will continue not getting speeding tickets for going 5-10 miles above the posted speed limit.
I know I drive faster than I'm supposed to but I also pay attention more due to that since response times will be decreased at higher speeds. I also put myself ahead of bad traffic and slow/unstable drivers making my commute safer.
The detector, better awareness along with driving a small agile car has kept me from harm and lame tickets many more times than I can count.

Also, as mentioned already it is true that Florida is one of the worst areas to drive. As soon as I leave here I am greatly appreciative of other states drivers and do not look forward to coming back to drive here.
I have no doubt that every person that uses a detector can rationalize it in some manner but even to use it to go 10 mph is still circumventing the law. If everybody else is doing that speed then detector is sort of unnecessary.
As far as the rest of what you said that is sort of my point. The dude that cuts you off is just trying to leave all those bad drivers behind. The guy weaving through traffic is pissed off at the slow asses around him. They can be the worst drivers ever but they blame everybody else and want to get away from them (I am NOT saying you are one of those guys there Imp).
I regret using speed and detectors as my example of how people disregarde rules since it somehow has been twisted to be the focus. I should have known better I guess.

Oh and for the record I drive at least 15mph over the limit about 98% of the time so I am not saying that speeding is bad or a major cause of accidents!!!!
Impureclient (07-02-2016), Ultramaroon (07-02-2016)
Old 07-02-2016, 07:01 PM   #24
Ultramaroon
chicken tonight

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,603 Times in 18,973 Posts
Mentioned: 1108 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
In high school driver's ed we were shown a movie in which one statement blew my mind. The narrator said that among other defensive driving techniques, it is actually safer to move slightly faster than the surrounding traffic.

That was in 1980. I have no idea what the accepted theory is today. I'm still torn about that assertion.
Old 07-02-2016, 07:11 PM   #25
Who8myrice

Drives: Ap2
Hello Californian here. My families drive like how old Asian ladies drive. Terrible.
I too do my duty of driving slow in car pool lane during heavy traffic, and I will tailgate you bad if you drive slow. But you shouldn't let your emotion get to you. Drive safe everybody !!
The Following User Says Thank You to Who8myrice For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (07-02-2016)
Old 07-02-2016, 07:18 PM   #26
Bodalenko
Steve Bodalenko

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
This is a global issue. Well Western World at least. We have the same problem in Australia but we have a new issue that amplifies all bad driving....ICE. No not the cold one the drug one. ICE taking brain dead, dip shit morons involved in road rage and high speed fatal crashes, usually in a stolen car, has risen to ridiculous levels.

Then there are the recent arrivals from China and India. China and and Inda have road tolls in the millions so I'm thinking Drive Ed in China is about as important as Anti smoking laws., while in India the sacred cows get right of way anywhere anytime of day.

We also have to suffer 'Grey Nomads' (cashed up retirees who decide to buy a $300k 40' camper van, having never driven anything bigger than the family car, and circumnavigate our coast line) traveling at 80km/h on 110km/h highways.

Perhaps if the 'Grey Nomads' took ICE the traffic would actually flow better!

Having driven in the US I'd say LA was the most frightening. Traveling at 75mph and less than a car length from the car in front is pretty scary, and I was a trained high speed pursuit driver in a previous occupation.

Last edited by Bodalenko; 07-02-2016 at 07:46 PM.
Old 07-02-2016, 07:22 PM   #27
chaoskaze
The Fail Boat

Drives: CWP S.B.
Thanked 1,293 Times in 873 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
Then you have people in parts of Asia who basically don't help injured parties in an accident, for fear of a liability lawsuit.

Yes, it's true.
Hey that's why dashcam has become a factory option.

Tcoat, I think canada is among the best for driving.........or it used to be before the yellow invasion from china. (Which i'm part of... i guess. ) I used to think my dad drive crazy till i saw how ppl from china drives.
The Following User Says Thank You to chaoskaze For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (07-02-2016)
Old 07-02-2016, 07:31 PM   #28
ogrowup

Drives: Asphalt build in progress
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norville Rogers View Post
Are you talking about North Americans or the whole continent "sucking"?
I meant US, but my experiences in Canada are they are very fast and stay oiut of the left lane. Driving in Mexico, OMG it is the craziest place to drive... 4 lanes of traffic on a two lane road.

Closed Thread