follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 04-08-2013, 09:02 PM   #1
Yruyur

Drives: Scion fr-s asphalt M/T
Thanked 1,631 Times in 941 Posts
Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
My OEM Audio Plus 400 Install and Review

I'm hoping to do a write up and experience with the OEM Audio Plus 400 as I'm installing in my FRS. I should be completing the install this weekend.

Shipping was about three weeks as I got it through toyotapartsoutlet.com and OEM Audio does not drop ship. If you buy this system please don't pay msrp. Sellers are required to post prices no less than msrp. I called and talked to Blake at Toyota Parts Outlet who saved me a few hundred dollars.

For everyones reference here is the install video from OEM Audio

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=LytAyXbgS5w"]Scion FR-S | System 400+ Installation - YouTube[/ame]

Product Page

http://www.oemaudioplus.com/frs.html

OEM Audio Install Manual

Coming soon

Last edited by Yruyur; 04-14-2013 at 02:20 AM.
Yruyur is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yruyur For This Useful Post:
Jman1759 (03-06-2014), serial gixxer (04-11-2013)
Old 04-08-2013, 09:02 PM   #2
Yruyur

UNBOXING

Box was shipped UPS ground, over 9 stops as it shipped from NC to AZ.

Box was in good condition. They used a strange packing material. Everything looks pretty professionally packed and built.

The box itself is a smooth piano like finish on the back with the textured oem feel on the front. Very sturdy build that feels dense and not flimsy.

Right off the bat I found the amps which are attached to eachother had come detached from the box. It appears they are attached via an adhesive which seperated. It also appears when the amps came off it hit a cross bar and knocked it out of the hole it was mounted in. I will be contacting them via email to see how to deal with that. UPDATE: After contacting Toyota Parts Outlet they were able to get a hold of OEM Audio. OEM Audio FEDEX overnighted me a complete setup. Great customer service plus a follow up call from OEM Audio to make sure everything worked out for me.

The cables are very well built with labels on each of the connectors. Package even includes zip ties.

Instructions are nicely printed and not cheapy photo copies and look pretty detailed. There is also the color flyer that describes the head unit setting you should be set to. I'm glad they included this as I have been wondering about it. It doeas say to set it to natural and in TC mode.

Tweeters feel heavy and come in a cheap Chinese looking cardboard box.

Here are some comparison pics of stock tweeters vs the oem audio. The oem are actually smaller in overall size but make a hella difference. The stock ones have the white back on them.

For those interested in weight

The box came it at 19.8 pounds

The cables and tweeters would not register on the scale but I would say no more than a pound

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by Yruyur; 04-23-2013 at 10:56 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Yruyur For This Useful Post:
Winjr (09-15-2013)
Old 04-08-2013, 09:03 PM   #3
Yruyur

So the install only took an hour and 45 minutes to install. That was with the impressive help from @captain_jack who used to do car audio installs and has had all his panels off his car numerous times. Pictures are not 100% detailed but I thought I would document some of the install. The instructions were pretty straight forward after watching the video. The printed instructions did have one major issue because of a design change apparently to the amps.

These may be in a different order than the instructions tell you but there were two of us working on different parts of the car.

Got all the junk out of the trunk and removed the panel

Removed the stereo plate which was much easier than I thought. Used a microfiber mitt to cover the shifter knob

Big hole in the dash now

Removing the Kick Plate, those little green tabs do come out so make sure to put them back in

Removed the back seats. Front is an easy 10MM. The back of the seat has to slide down about an inch to release it from a hook that is in its foam. I put my fist on the back of the seat and pushed down. Install was easy as grabbing the seat and using my thumb to push the seat further down to get it hooked.

Don't forget the pop tab that goes at the base rear panels. It sits below the rear seat height.

Removing that side panel

Just more pics if anyone is interested in what the panels look like or the massive holes behind the panels. If I do sound deadening I will be doing the wheel wells for sure

Cutting the small square to install the new cables through the carpet

Installing the ground cable behind the passenger panel stock ground location

Routing the new cable past the stock amp. The smaller plug does not need to remain in the stock amp.

Feeding the cable along the driver side door sill

Fed one wire through the grommet in the firewall. Did not lube as recommended but was not that difficult.

Finished with the back

So the instructions were wrong here. Installing the plugs into the amps the instructions say the white plug on the harness goes on the top. It appears they change the design and no longer put the larger amp on the back side of the plate but flipped it so it is the first amp you see when looking at the box from the back. You cannot mix up the plugs since they are different. They may look the same but trust me they will not fit.

Box is all plugged in and installed. Yes I have my trunk carpet flipped. For those that do not do that its much better. Does not allow things to slip around and is spill proof that way.

Both new power cables coming through the firewall now. They snugged up nicely agains the brake line that crosses over under the windshield wiper assembly

Attaching the fuse assembly to the power cables coming from the firewall

Using the heat gun to make that final connection and shrink wrap

Last edited by Yruyur; 04-14-2013 at 02:00 AM.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:03 PM   #4
Yruyur

Wow is all I have to say. This system has exceeded my expectations not only in audio quality but also ease of installation.
On the way back from the installers we played a song that we always listen to, I asked if it was a remixed or new version. She laughed telling me it was the same version there was just half the song missing before. Lol

I am blown away that you can get such clean sound out of a plug and play system using the stock speakers! When they say it is tuned for this car they are not joking.

The bass is clean with nice cut off points. The front speakers still play but the damn rattles are gone. The highs from the new tweeters are amazing. Really a balanced system.

They say its not teeth shattering bass you get but let me tell you. I could barely see out my rear view mirror listening to some dub step on the way back from the installers.

I let about 7 other club members hear the system tonight and they had pretty much the same feeling. I asked them to post their reviews on this thread as well.

The owners that still had their stock systems pretty much left with smiles and were suprised of the clarity. They were also impressed by the small amount of trunk space the sub took up. Two of the local members are running dual tens in custom boxes with pretty kick ass systems, I got good feedback from them as well.

One of the most impressive things is my installer saying he wants one now and that it sounds better than his custom setup he has been making. He played some Fleetwood Mac that we tried on his system before and was pretty damn impressed.

A few said they would be ordering the system asap.

I must say this is now my number one mod moving the ecutek tunes to second place.

My goal with this frs(second one because my last one was a lemon after 23,000 miles) is to make it an overall better daily driver. Tune, amazing audio, hid retrofit are done, I think tires and a few cosmetic items and the car will be where I wanted it.

Wow.

See if there is a local dealer in your area by checking out their site. Sometimes they have them installed in cars that can be used to sample.

Last edited by Yruyur; 04-14-2013 at 03:09 AM.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:03 PM   #5
Yruyur

Other Local Club Members Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPTRD71 View Post
It was great meeting you tonight at the pavs, and the system sounded amazing! The lows were very crisp and the sound clarity was outstanding! Thanks for the demo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffsides View Post
It sound sooo clean. The highs are so pure. And I'm very impressed on the amount of bass the sub puts out. It for sure sounds better than I expected. Great job on the set up!
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_jack View Post
I will say this, being a professional certified installer for 15 years i was very delighted. It was a breeze to install and gave the car the sound it should have had from the start. i have always said that oem stereos systems are aweful and have been until now(obviously some higher end systems do not apply to this). Is this one perfect no, it could use a bit more impact for the sub. I think a 10" over the 8" would solve this. The biggest thing i noticed was the dsp corrected audio up front. It really tamed the 1k spike that is way up front of the music. The tweeters were considerably smoother. Overall for the money spent you cant buy a better setup in my opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivtec View Post
Well I will say Yruyur has done some pretty cool things to his car. But even the tune and the E85 he once had doesnt match my favorite project on his car which is definitely the sound. I don't know a more crisp, clean, clear sound coming out of just regular car speakers. It definitely should have been this way from factory. You no longer need deadner as well which I thought he was joking when he said there was none. I will say if you want more bump to probably increase the size of the subs like Captain_Jack said but honestly for me that was all the bump I needed. If this system ever comes down a bit, I will have no hesitation in buying it. Good work man.

Last edited by Yruyur; 04-15-2013 at 07:23 PM.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:15 PM   #6
TouchMyHonda
Vtec Jesus

Drives: 13 BRZ, 13 Golf R, 15 Audi S4
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
In
TouchMyHonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:35 PM   #7
6-Shift
Seņor Member

Drives: 2013 Raven, Drifty things
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Pics please!
6-Shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:53 PM   #8
Yruyur

Added the pics and the weight of the items.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-10-2013, 11:51 PM   #9
Yruyur

So oem audio is overnighting a replacement! Good customer experience so far.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:59 PM   #10
husker741
Banned

Drives: 2013 Whiteout Scion FR-S 6MT
Thanked 4,183 Times in 1,415 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Mine is just sitting at the dealer. I sure hope it has no damage...
husker741 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:24 AM   #11
xjohnx
Grip>Slip

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ Ltd - Innovate Powered!
Thanked 1,716 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by husker741 View Post
All of the OEMAudio+ BRZ/FRS system owners that I've talked to all received have their units with the amp bracket coming un-glued from the box. If that's the case, don't sweat it, it's an easy fix. @Yruyur's damage is more extensive than usual from what I've seen. On his it looks like one of the support bars as well.

I'm not sure how expensive it would be, but they would probably be better served looking into a styrofoam mold to replace their current packing foam medium.
xjohnx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xjohnx For This Useful Post:
Yruyur (04-11-2013)
Old 04-11-2013, 03:42 PM   #12
shiro

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, 2014 Lexus IS350
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by husker741 View Post
Haha, so that was your system that came in. The shop guys were pointing it out yesterday that they had one come in.

I'm debating get this this system or a custom system. But if this system is loud and clean I will probably get the Reference version when it hits the market. I just wish the sub was a 10"...
shiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:45 PM   #13
husker741
Banned

Drives: 2013 Whiteout Scion FR-S 6MT
Thanked 4,183 Times in 1,415 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiro View Post
Haha, so that was your system that came in. The shop guys were pointing it out yesterday that they had one come in.
Haha yup! Do you work there?
husker741 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:46 PM   #14
shiro

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, 2014 Lexus IS350
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Garage
Haha no, I work downtown Omaha
shiro is offline   Reply With Quote