follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 07:58 AM   #43
2016 Camaro SS

Drives: Fast
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Damn people are lazy and I don't even do the pedal dance. This should be one of those "As Seen On TV" items with an infomercial and terrible actors.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:45 AM   #44
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickg87 View Post
Sounds Good. Could you give some more detail about the switch and setup
Thx
That'll be up to the company that makes it. I'm just some dude on the internet.

It could be a toggle switch on the device itself, it could be a wired switch that you could mount anywhere you desire in the cabin. The switch could be in the form of a button, a lever, or even a fingerprint scanner... the point is that the device could be 2 things. A Pedal Dance replicator and an OBDII port pass through.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:00 PM   #45
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by simpleisbest View Post
You all know they have OBD2 splitters on the market, right?
Amazon.com: OBDII Splitter Y Cable, J1962M to 2-J1962F, 1ft (145802): Automotive
Funny enough, that's what I bought from Amazon.
It does not work with my AIM Solo DL + Pivot Dual gauge.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=80

-alex
The Following User Says Thank You to mav1178 For This Useful Post:
sb (03-31-2015)
Old 03-28-2015, 08:39 PM   #46
lx93

Drives: 2013 BRz Premium
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
would my P3 vent gauge work with this and a splitter?
Old 03-29-2015, 12:05 PM   #47
Blu-by-U
Some Dumb Guy

Drives: wanting an Acabian
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
No offense to the Speed Factory, but if you own an OFT, update it.
Old 03-29-2015, 11:40 PM   #48
raul
Lap time enthusiast

Drives: Asphalt '13 FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG David View Post
If that's one of the cases, I usually go 10% on warm-up lap to make sure everything gets up to temp and pull into the hot pit. Shut off, start up, do pedal dance, and go back out. It also allows some people to get out of the way for me so I can run some cleaner laps.

Most of the time I start up the car 5 minutes early and drive around the paddock to make sure everything else is warmed up. I have a LSD too.
Valid point, but doesn't always work. While I'm in the same boat as many here and would rather plug in a Solo DL, the car not being up to temperature is often a problem without a solution. Track days are busy for many of us, especially track veterans who instruct as well at events. Also hot pitting isn't always ideal if you're in a Time Trial session that's already too short. Normally in our region they arrange the grid in order of fastest time to minimize traffic and the chance you'll be stuck behind someone slower, hot pitting to do the pedal dance may get you stuck in traffic again, when otherwise they optimized your position.
Old 03-30-2015, 11:39 AM   #49
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,180 Times in 6,836 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by raul View Post
Valid point, but doesn't always work. While I'm in the same boat as many here and would rather plug in a Solo DL, the car not being up to temperature is often a problem without a solution. Track days are busy for many of us, especially track veterans who instruct as well at events. Also hot pitting isn't always ideal if you're in a Time Trial session that's already too short. Normally in our region they arrange the grid in order of fastest time to minimize traffic and the chance you'll be stuck behind someone slower, hot pitting to do the pedal dance may get you stuck in traffic again, when otherwise they optimized your position.
If you're competing, you have no reason for not being able to let your car idle to get up to temp....
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
TrqlessWonder (03-30-2015)
Old 03-30-2015, 02:59 PM   #50
raul
Lap time enthusiast

Drives: Asphalt '13 FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
If you're competing, you have no reason for not being able to let your car idle to get up to temp....
Depends on outside temp. On cooler days idling doesn't do the job. I've let the car idle for 20 minutes only to find the temp gauge is at the 1/4 mark from cold in 60F weather. It usually has to be around 1/3 for the pedal dance to work. Maybe raising the idle engine speed might help.
Old 03-30-2015, 03:22 PM   #51
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,352 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Also depends if you're strictly competing, or helping volunteer at the event as well.
Old 03-30-2015, 03:55 PM   #52
qoncept

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Or you can spend 2 seconds and do the pedal dance. Gawd...I hate moving after working out just my right leg and right arm.
Quote:
Most of the time I start up the car 5 minutes early and drive around the paddock to make sure everything else is warmed up. I have a LSD too.
Why would you want something to happen automatically when it only takes 5 minutes EVERY TIME YOU START YOUR CAR to do it yourself? Everyone knows what the peddle dance is, how long it takes, how strong their quads have to be. Beaten to death. Maybe there's a CSG thread you could contribute something useful to.
Old 03-30-2015, 04:34 PM   #53
ddeflyer

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by qoncept View Post
Why would you want something to happen automatically when it only takes 5 minutes EVERY TIME YOU START YOUR CAR to do it yourself? Everyone knows what the peddle dance is, how long it takes, how strong their quads have to be. Beaten to death. Maybe there's a CSG thread you could contribute something useful to.
I think the point is that you shouldn't be taking your car on track when it isn't up to temp yet.

And regarding the OBDII Y cables, they don't work because they don't have a can bus hub in them on pins 6 and 14. There are actually several generations of OBDII ports with various signaling and data rates and such, some of which are compatible with a splitter cable and others which are not. The CAN bus protocol (which this device and Solo DL work on) is one of the ones that is not amenable to simple signal splitter cables. That said, you MIGHT be able to make it work if you were to program the Solo DL to read legacy OBDII (since it is a different set of pins), though you would loose the best data channels and have slow data rates (think 1hz or 0.5Hz refresh instead of 5Hz or 10Hz).

No idea where it leads next!
The Following User Says Thank You to ddeflyer For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (03-30-2015)
Old 03-30-2015, 04:45 PM   #54
qoncept

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeflyer View Post
I think the point is that you shouldn't be taking your car on track when it isn't up to temp yet.
The point is that there are 2 guys from a competing vendor that are 1) arguing with people about personal preference so they can 2) badmouth another vendor's product.

It's $80 for a device that occupies your OBD-II port and automatically disables annoyances. It doesn't take 3 pages of "expert" comments to decide whether or not you want that.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:19 PM   #55
CSG Mike

Thanked 14,180 Times in 6,836 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by raul View Post
Depends on outside temp. On cooler days idling doesn't do the job. I've let the car idle for 20 minutes only to find the temp gauge is at the 1/4 mark from cold in 60F weather. It usually has to be around 1/3 for the pedal dance to work. Maybe raising the idle engine speed might help.
Park the car facing away from the wind rather than into it

Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
Also depends if you're strictly competing, or helping volunteer at the event as well.
Ask someone to do it for you
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
sb (03-31-2015)
Old 03-30-2015, 08:36 PM   #56
CSG David

Thanked 1,721 Times in 956 Posts
Mentioned: 173 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by qoncept View Post
Application wise, it makes sense for certain individuals.

Closed Thread