follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 04-16-2015, 01:04 PM   #15
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,284 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVoiceOfReason View Post
I personally hate the look of off center plate relocations. Will never be an option for me, and I'm sure some others feel the same.
Yep! If you don't want to block an oil cooler or such that is one thing but to put it to the side for looks just throws the appearance of the whole front end out of whack.
If you don't want holes then just be brave and run without it. The holes don't hurt the value or anything as odds are when you sell the next guy may just put the plate on anyway.
Old 04-16-2015, 01:35 PM   #16
ls1ac

Drives: BRZ, Noble M400, AC-LS7,1956 AC
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
At a car show had a trooper ask if it was legal. I told his it looked ok to me. He said alright and went off.

Had one guy ask how I did it, I told him I dissolved the metal from the back and glued it on.
Attached Images

ls1ac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ls1ac For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (04-17-2015)
Old 04-16-2015, 01:39 PM   #17
MokSpeed
Granny Shifter

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Thanked 1,289 Times in 711 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Get the TRD front lip. It has a mounting bracket for your front plate and you don't have to drill the bumper. Problem solved.
MokSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MokSpeed For This Useful Post:
NemesisPrime909 (04-17-2015), Tcoat (04-16-2015)
Old 04-16-2015, 03:23 PM   #18
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1ac View Post
At a car show had a trooper ask if it was legal. I told his it looked ok to me. He said alright and went off.

Had one guy ask how I did it, I told him I dissolved the metal from the back and glued it on.
Was this the guy you hit to bend it like that?

Old 04-16-2015, 03:43 PM   #19
Tbird232ci

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddreder View Post
Just slide it in between your dash and front window on your passenger side and you will never be pulled over for it again. I have done this in my miata and now the FRS for the last 3 years and have NEVER been harassed by an officer. I feel like when you make an effort to display the plate, even when it is not in good visibility that the officers respect that and will usually leave you alone. I say this because my coworker removed his plate from his EVO and he gets none stop harassment.. He refuses to listen to me but it is going to be really funny when he roles in one day with a ticket. Police officers are humans too and they usually understand what were going through. That is why I feel compromise is the best solution to this issue
That'll get you pulled over just as quick as not having a front tag at all. It's considered a safety hazard if you get into an accident. Having a thin piece of metal flying around would do some damage.
Tbird232ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 03:46 PM   #20
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbird232ci View Post
That'll get you pulled over just as quick as not having a front tag at all. It's considered a safety hazard if you get into an accident. Having a thin piece of metal flying around would do some damage.
Especially if you lay it over or near one of the airbags!
Old 04-16-2015, 05:00 PM   #21
Ddreder

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 1990 Miata
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I cant say that I have ever seen/heard of someone being pulled over for that.. Also in the FRS you can get that plate stuck in there really well. It takes a lot of force to pull it back out. Also if you're that worried about it you can also use suction cups for even more hold. I am trying to track down some just to help with the occasional rattle.

I will say your concern is legitimate for an NA miata though.. It cant get that far into the dash so it is always a little loose. I have forgotten to pull it out for track days and end up catching it mid air while driving because it comes flying out lol. This issue though has never happened in the FRS. The dash holds it much better and you can even see all of the letters and numbers! It really is a win win. Unless your police are just D holes.. But I am thinking that is not the case. Unless you are doing something else to warrant the attention I doubt anyone would ever be hassled for having there front plate in there window.
Ddreder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 06:16 PM   #22
Zhangy

Drives: 2015 FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddreder View Post
Just slide it in between your dash and front window on your passenger side and you will never be pulled over for it again. I have done this in my miata and now the FRS for the last 3 years and have NEVER been harassed by an officer. I feel like when you make an effort to display the plate, even when it is not in good visibility that the officers respect that and will usually leave you alone. I say this because my coworker removed his plate from his EVO and he gets none stop harassment.. He refuses to listen to me but it is going to be really funny when he roles in one day with a ticket. Police officers are humans too and they usually understand what were going through. That is why I feel compromise is the best solution to this issue

but when you crash, ,the passenger is dead or at least is blind
Zhangy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 07:30 PM   #23
Lelantas

Drives: '15 BRZ ISM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Yep. I know of multiple people in LA and SF who have been given tickets by parking enforcement for not having a mounted front plate, and two of them had plates in the windshield. It won't cut it.

Personally I hate the off-center look as well, so I opted for the Skene Design mount. Just two small screws mounted below the BRZ "mustache."
Lelantas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lelantas For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (04-16-2015)
Old 04-17-2015, 03:58 AM   #24
NemesisPrime909

Drives: 91 Toyota Supra 16 Nissan Versa
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11676

another option
Old 04-17-2015, 07:26 AM   #25
MikeM7

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited White
I never had a front plate on my jeep or my brz, It's probably been 2 or 3 years since I've had one and I've never been pulled over for it, and even when I've been pulled over for something else, they didn't even mention it. The previous owner never had a front plate either.

I'm not putting one on. if I ever do get a ticket, I'll follow my usual method of make the fix long enough to take a picture, get the ticket dropped, and carry one same as before.

With any of these kinds of violations, they just expect you to get it fixed and they will drop the ticket. Or just send them a check for 50 bucks if you don't want to go through the effort.

Bout to remove the orange bulbs from my clear side markers too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryptik319 View Post
Or just abide by the law and mount it...

Seriously though, that's your best bet. Nobody is a fan of front plates but nobody is a fan of police attention and/or tickets either.
Attached Images

MikeM7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 09:19 AM   #26
Ddreder

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 1990 Miata
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhangy View Post
but when you crash, ,the passenger is dead or at least is blind
I have always wondered what it is like to live in fear.. Be careful now since you dont want to die pulling out of your driveway! or walking out the door! or making toast in the bathtub!

Seriously though. With the plate pinned into the dash, it is not coming out without some serious force. And if there is that much force, most likely the airbags will deploy and the airbag will be between the passenger and the plate.. It is not going to make it through all of the marshmallows! Moral of the story is quit being pansies you guys.. When I clocked a dear doing 50+ guess what didnt budge? that effing plate. If you do it right it can be perfectly safe. You guys probably have more dangerous things floating around in your car anyways :P
Ddreder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 09:28 AM   #27
phobos512

Drives: 2014 FR-S 6MT Whiteout
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntron1 View Post
Or you could move to a State that does not require them like PA.
Yes, because moving because one doesn't like license plate laws is completely logical.

OP, get a side mount and just deal with the consequences of your misunderstanding.
ntron1 (04-17-2015)
Old 04-17-2015, 10:48 AM   #28
Tcoat

I really don't get why people are so worried about the legality of the front plate. I have one but that is just because after 40 years of car ownership it looks really weird without it. I treat my plates as a mod like any other and with a nice frame and tinted covers (also illegal by the way) they can actually enhance the looks of the car.

If I really didn't want one I would just skip it and face the consequences if stopped. I also speed, run yellow lights, fail to signal on occasion and break all kinds of other traffic laws either on purpose or not. Unless you are a fully law abiding person that never, ever does anything wrong than why so worried about having a front plate? Just don't put it on but... don't whine and complain if you get ticketed for it as it was your call to make.
Ammunition (04-17-2015), Annahra (04-19-2015), CAMBAM_6 (04-17-2015), Cole (04-17-2015), Dadhawk (04-17-2015), Ddreder (04-17-2015)

Tags
plates are for dinner