follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 09-04-2014, 04:36 PM   #1
Zinger

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question New Owner / New Questions

Howdy all!

Just got my 2014 FR-S Auto in Hot Lava! Beyond trying to adhere to the break-in period guidelines I am loving the car. The next 650 miles are going to take forever!

I love all the information on the site, it's awesome to be able to jump right in and see write-ups and stuff. I do have a couple questions I am hoping you can help with. I have done some searching and haven't been able to find the answers.

1) Installed a K&N air filter and noticed the much deeper noise but it seems to really get loud/noticeable around 4,000 rpm's (right at the limit of the break-in guidelines). So it would be quiet then briefly I would hear a ton of noise before I shifted gears and the rpm's drop. Does the noise generator tube only pipe sound in above a certain rpm? I had read it has a diaphragm which reminds me of vacuum secondaries on my older cars. Seems like it would make sense as at cruising speed you wouldn't want to be hearing the engine so much. I did end up removing the air cleaner assembly to make sure the K&N was fitting right and everything seems good there.

2) I was in manual mode on the highway in 6th gear and went to change lanes and accelerate around a slow poke and had no throttle response. Kind of freaked me out until I downshifted and got some power. Next day I was in traffic and was in 6th gear again and noticed if my rpm's fall below 1500 my throttle dies. Is this by design/programming? I realize its not typical of usage when you would be manual shifting. It works fine while in D mode.

Anyhow, appreciate any help you can offer and look forward to seeing you guys around. I am up in the Bellevue area (saw a white FR-S going through the intersection by 108th Ave NE this morning)!
Zinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 06:13 PM   #2
Sypher

Drives: '13 Ultramarine FR-S M/T
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinger View Post
Howdy all!

Just got my 2014 FR-S Auto in Hot Lava! Beyond trying to adhere to the break-in period guidelines I am loving the car. The next 650 miles are going to take forever!

I love all the information on the site, it's awesome to be able to jump right in and see write-ups and stuff. I do have a couple questions I am hoping you can help with. I have done some searching and haven't been able to find the answers.

1) Installed a K&N air filter and noticed the much deeper noise but it seems to really get loud/noticeable around 4,000 rpm's (right at the limit of the break-in guidelines). So it would be quiet then briefly I would hear a ton of noise before I shifted gears and the rpm's drop. Does the noise generator tube only pipe sound in above a certain rpm? I had read it has a diaphragm which reminds me of vacuum secondaries on my older cars. Seems like it would make sense as at cruising speed you wouldn't want to be hearing the engine so much. I did end up removing the air cleaner assembly to make sure the K&N was fitting right and everything seems good there.

dont worry. probably just more noise from higher flowing filter element. if you really want to test out the sound generator unplug it or plug the hole in the firewall.

2) I was in manual mode on the highway in 6th gear and went to change lanes and accelerate around a slow poke and had no throttle response. Kind of freaked me out until I downshifted and got some power. Next day I was in traffic and was in 6th gear again and noticed if my rpm's fall below 1500 my throttle dies. Is this by design/programming? I realize its not typical of usage when you would be manual shifting. It works fine while in D mode.

these cars make almost no power down low. this engine is designed to be small displacement, high revving and fuel efficient.

Anyhow, appreciate any help you can offer and look forward to seeing you guys around. I am up in the Bellevue area (saw a white FR-S going through the intersection by 108th Ave NE this morning)!
see above in red
Old 09-04-2014, 07:57 PM   #3
Turdinator
Seņor Member

Drives: 86 GT/'74 TA22 Celica/Kangaroo
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the forums

It isn't the sound generator as such. The motor is quite noisy from about 3.5 - 4.5k rpm. It is even more noticeable if you get a tune.

6th gear in the auto is quite tall and the FA20 is a relatively revvy NA 2lt. This is very normal. Keep it above 2k when you want acceleration. Or once it is broken in keep it above 4k for the real fun.