follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 09-28-2016, 07:10 PM   #43
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalpb View Post
How much does it cost for the pair?

-Steve
Don't show up on the online pricing yet (that I could find) but since the old ones show as $844 each I am willing to bet they cost a shit ton.

http://parts.subaru.com/a/Subaru_201...10-840-01.html
Old 09-28-2016, 07:30 PM   #44
Zaku
-Proud of Brzerhood-

Drives: '17 BRZ CWP LMT.
Thanked 1,725 Times in 790 Posts
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalpb View Post
How much does it cost for the pair?

-Steve
Hmm good question I saw on the FB post I got the picture from that I could cost up to $1600

I'll have to check the exact price

"The BRZ Section's fine wine" -Zgrinch
Zaku is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zaku For This Useful Post:
Jrdad (04-25-2017)
Old 09-28-2016, 11:31 PM   #45
Oxyg3n

Drives: 2017 BRZ - WRB
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
It seems like gearoneperformance on instagram is test fitting 2017 parts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Oxyg3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 07:30 AM   #46
Jakinit

Drives: 2017 CWP BRZ Limited (MT)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Am I the only one not a fan of the one piece dash?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Jakinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 07:57 AM   #47
deejaylew

Drives: AP1 Honda S2000, Focus RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakinit View Post
Am I the only one not a fan of the one piece dash?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
I don't dislike it but I don't particularly care one way or the other. I do notice that having everything one piece really makes it obvious that the unit is just a standard double din instead of something more integrated, where the gloss black for 17' in the US at least tries to create an illusion of a more integrated product.

They both have pluses and minuses I supposed. Piano Black is not my first choice for materials, but I also don't want my factory stereo to look aftermarket.
deejaylew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 10:56 AM   #48
BRZoomTX

Drives: '13 BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
Looks like hot garbage compared to the stock piece anyways. Their two piece options never seemed to match stitch either. The one piece factory option is literally the piece I have always wanted to be available.
They're almost identical pieces. JPM also offered a plain leather one. All my pieces are the alcantara material w/ blue stitching. Literally the only difference is JPM stitches around the stereo, where the new OEM one goes towards the end by the cluster, but doesn't cover the left side. Honestly, the new OEM piece is a copycat of JPM. They've had theirs on sale for quite some time now.

I guess which one looks like "hot garbage" is subjective. That depends on if you like alcantara versus fake leather and slanted stitches. My picture isn't really the best, either. This part on the OEM one just really bugs me. The stitches obviously go with the shape of the dash, but they just look "off" to me. Maybe I'm used to the JPM design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejaylew View Post
I don't dislike it but I don't particularly care one way or the other. I do notice that having everything one piece really makes it obvious that the unit is just a standard double din instead of something more integrated, where the gloss black for 17' in the US at least tries to create an illusion of a more integrated product.

They both have pluses and minuses I supposed. Piano Black is not my first choice for materials, but I also don't want my factory stereo to look aftermarket.
Why not? An aftermarket stereo would be an upgrade in this car, and I'd go on to say even looks better than the OEM unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Don't show up on the online pricing yet (that I could find) but since the old ones show as $844 each I am willing to bet they cost a shit ton.

http://parts.subaru.com/a/Subaru_201...10-840-01.html
Reminds me of the '10-12 Mustang guys buying the $1,800 set of tail lights off the '13-14 models. They'll start showing up on eBay once cars start getting wrecked. We'll be able to get them in a couple years well under $1k I'm sure.
Tcoat (09-29-2016)
Old 09-29-2016, 11:42 AM   #49
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZoomTX View Post
They're almost identical pieces. JPM also offered a plain leather one. All my pieces are the alcantara material w/ blue stitching. Literally the only difference is JPM stitches around the stereo, where the new OEM one goes towards the end by the cluster, but doesn't cover the left side. Honestly, the new OEM piece is a copycat of JPM. They've had theirs on sale for quite some time .
Betting subaru did not "copycat" jpm. Also jpm stitches their name in to the pieces which is very offensive IMO. I would much rather have the smooth subaru bit that matches the rest of the interior materials than anything else. Hell, even the JDM knee pads are nicer than the JPM equivalent for less money.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 12:24 PM   #50
deejaylew

Drives: AP1 Honda S2000, Focus RS
Quote:
Why not? An aftermarket stereo would be an upgrade in this car, and I'd go on to say even looks better than the OEM unit.
The 2017 US Headunit and trim piece have the same finish making everything look more integrated this year and less like a double din from the 90's. I just wish it was a better material than the gloss black they chose.

I understand the appeal of having a single piece trim like we are discussing, it's much better than the stock 13-16 and in some ways still better than the US 17' but for a more high end look that is current with other offerings in the industry the obvious double din outline has/had to go.
deejaylew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 12:27 PM   #51
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

I dont even mind the double din outline. The factory nav radio has a nice display at least. While it isn't anything great, neither is the rest of the interior.
The Following User Says Thank You to Summerwolf For This Useful Post:
deejaylew (09-29-2016)
Old 09-29-2016, 12:56 PM   #52
BRZoomTX

Quote:
Betting subaru did not "copycat" jpm. Also jpm stitches their name in to the pieces which is very offensive IMO. I would much rather have the smooth subaru bit that matches the rest of the interior materials than anything else. Hell, even the JDM knee pads are nicer than the JPM equivalent for less money.
Well, JPM had the stitched dash piece out back in 2014. JPM absolutely did have that design set in stone and being sold long before it was released as an OEM piece. The '17 refresh has implemented a lot of stuff that has been in the aftermarket for a while now.

They offered the name stitching as optional. Not sure what you're getting at regarding matching everything else in the interior. If you mean the dash piece not matching the dash, the OEM leather doesn't match the soft rubber on the dash either. I have all of the alcantara bits from them, and it looks pretty damn well in person. I get compliments all the time on my interior. Of course it'll look bad if you only do a couple pieces and have mismatched materials. All of my fake leather was replaced with alcantara to complete the look.

Seems like you hate JPM for some reason. I can get you better pictures if interested. Not trying to have an argument though, just saying this has been offered for a while. Sucks JPM is shutting down. You could have ordered the exact piece in the same leather as OEM from them a month ago, without their name stitched in. I think its a nice touch personally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejaylew View Post
The 2017 US Headunit and trim piece have the same finish making everything look more integrated this year and less like a double din from the 90's. I just wish it was a better material than the gloss black they chose.

I understand the appeal of having a single piece trim like we are discussing, it's much better than the stock 13-16 and in some ways still better than the US 17' but for a more high end look that is current with other offerings in the industry the obvious double din outline has/had to go.
I'll have to check it out in person to see. The 13-16 stereo setup looks great with my JPM piece. The stitching wraps around the stereo making it look more like its supposed to be there. Personally I hate the base model bulky climate controls far more than the stereo setup.
Old 09-29-2016, 01:07 PM   #53
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Don't have anything against JPM. If I had wanted the pieces I would have bought them. Stitching never looked great to me and I would much rather have pieces that match the factory door pieces and such rather than alcantara or the leather they offered. The factory piece matches and the stitching not outlining the radio is exactly what I wanted. While I am sure designers take inspiration from things in the aftermarket, the piece in question has been redesigned and is not a "copycat." It isn't two pieces molded together using cores....

Either way it is a moot topic since the company is closing up shop. So.... this doesn't even need to go any further, no more jpm pictures needed, and hopefully it gets buried with more information on 2017 pieces.

Last edited by Summerwolf; 09-29-2016 at 02:15 PM.
Old 09-29-2016, 01:58 PM   #54
BRZoomTX

Quote:
Don't have anything against JPM. If I had wanted the pieces I would have bought them. Stitching never looked great to me and I would much rather have pieces that match the factory door pieces and such rather than alcantara or the leather they offered. The factory piece matches and the stitching not outlining the radio is exactly what I wanted. While I am sure designers take inspiration from things in the aftermarket, the piece in question has been redesigned and is not a "copycat." It isn't two pieces molded together using cores....

Either way it is a moot topic since the company is vlosing up shop. So.... this doesn't even need to go any further, no more jpm pictures needed, and hopefully it gets buried with more information on 2017 pieces.
"Copied", "inspired", call it what you want I suppose. I was just offering an alternative as the leather they use matches OEM if you don't like the alcantara. They're sold out, so there is nothing further to discuss. If people can't find used JPM pieces, any upholstery shop will be able to make something similar. Other than gluing the two pieces together, the rest is ~$40 in materials and maybe a hour labor. The end result is seamless.

Anyway, OEM parts call this the ornament panel on the 13-16 MY. Maybe using that wording will help CA dealers track down a part number.

Edit-
Found something, try this?

http://parts.subaru.com/a/Subaru__BR...10-660-06.html

This diagram is showing two different dash pieces, the split one and the combined single piece.

Summerwolf (09-29-2016)
Old 09-29-2016, 02:14 PM   #55
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Thats what I am talking about.

66180A - looks to be the piece.
Old 09-29-2016, 02:31 PM   #56
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
"Copied", "inspired", call it what you want I suppose. I was just offering an alternative as the leather they use matches OEM if you don't like the alcantara. They're sold out, so there is nothing further to discuss. If people can't find used JPM pieces, any upholstery shop will be able to make something similar. Other than gluing the two pieces together, the rest is ~$40 in materials and maybe a hour labor. The end result is seamless.

Anyway, OEM parts call this the ornament panel on the 13-16 MY. Maybe using that wording will help CA dealers track down a part number.

Edit-
Found something, try this?

http://parts.subaru.com/a/Subaru__BR...10-660-06.html

This diagram is showing two different dash pieces, the split one and the combined single piece.

I have the part number they just don't have a price attached to the 17 piece yet.
BRZoomTX (09-29-2016)