follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List
Crosscharge, go_a_way1, MisterSheep, poudre

Old 10-15-2022, 12:01 AM   #19657
Sapphireho
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,240 Times in 8,609 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcj View Post
It's also a dessert topping and floor wax!

It did save my CB650 with four sticky carbs that a shop couldn't even ...
Helped my 2 stroke string trimmer start in the spring for 20 years.

Seafoam has a place. Just where, is debatable.
That and Mystery Oil.
Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sapphireho For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (10-15-2022), Ultramaroon (10-15-2022)
Old 10-15-2022, 09:52 AM   #19658
WNDSRFR

Drives: FR-S,GTI
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Seafoam belongs on the beach.
But oh, I love the smell of Marvel Mystery oil.
WNDSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WNDSRFR For This Useful Post:
Flarpswitch (10-19-2022)
Old 10-15-2022, 03:45 PM   #19659
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
It's been so long since I've had a jalopy that had to resort to the parts store miracle fixes, I don't remember what either smells like!
Ultramaroon (10-15-2022)
Old 10-18-2022, 12:47 AM   #19660
Apolllo

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joro2 View Post
(Cross posted from an older thread on trans/diff fluid changes, apologies for any duplicates.)

Had a routine oil change yesterday @ 21K on my 2017 BRZ (MT base Premium).

The dealer mentioned ("recommended") a few additional items needing service, some which made sense and others not so much.
- Battery failed load test; reasonable, given that the BRZ is 66 months old and still on the original battery; ACCEPTED i.e. went for the new battery (it was competitively priced).
- New tires; yeah, they're 5.5. years old and have 21K miles, but I feel confident I can safely go one more oil change interval before shopping tires (another topic, i.e. new tires) I DECLINED.

Then came these suggestions:
1) "Alignment and fuel induction service"
I didn't find these in the factory maintenance schedule, what are they? Did they mean a standard wheel alignment AND some kind of fuel service? Or is "alignment" part of the fuel service? I DECLINED.

2) Was told I should (or did the service manager say "recommended" again?) replace the manual transmission fluid and the rear diff fluid. I found ambiguous factory info on this, some say 30K miles, other text entries say every 4 years (regardless of mileage) for the diff, which is it? Couldn't find anything on the transmission fluid except "inspect". Since there's no dipstick on either I assume "inspect" means the tech drives it and decides if they don't like the way it's shifting.
I feel as though I foolishly ACCEPTED.
Looks like they also did a rear diff BG flush.
From new the BRZ was notchy, for the first ~5-7K sometimes finicky until warmed up. And remained notchy, once in a while not slipping as smoothly into gear as I'd like, but still always one of the better manuals I've ever owned.
Short story I said yes to both (diff and trans fluid change). Immediately was feeling remorse, as only at 21K, never tracked, etc. But do admit shifting was definitely noticeably "smoother" (maybe slightly heavier? less mechanical clunks) after the service. Not sure yet which I liked better, before or after the fluid changes. Either way I feel like Steve Jobs felt about opening up iPhones, once cracked open RUINED!

So, feeling ripped off! I know better but somehow (because I'm an IDIOT) dropped my guard.
I know, I know -- dealer is always a ripoff (although as I said these services all were competitively priced).
What say you re: the trans/diff fluid change at 5.5 years/21K miles? And what is that "alignment and fuel induction service"? Feel free to call me an IDIOT, I've done the same for the past 24 hours.

PS They also gave me a "free wash" at the dealer. something I forgot to decline, I always hand wash the car and have since new. Dealer has a cheap toy car wash set up. All in all, what was a simple service turned into a pricey bad BRZ day, really my first in 5.5 years of ownership.

And that's what I did to my BRZ (yesterday). Thanks for reading my whine.
I feel like you did good, especially if it was competitively priced.

They probably could have sold the alignment better if they really wanted to push it on you. Saying it is factory maint schedule is weird. Could have easily said the wear on your tires that need to be replaced are a sign that your car needs an alignment. Also, they usually recommend alignment after new tires, regardless of wear of old tires. As long as wear seems normal on your tires, no need to do an alignment after new tires.
Apolllo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Apolllo For This Useful Post:
Busybee (10-18-2022), joro2 (10-27-2022), soundman98 (10-18-2022)
Old 10-20-2022, 09:59 AM   #19661
cmiovino

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP, 2004 WRX
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joro2 View Post
(Cross posted from an older thread on trans/diff fluid changes, apologies for any duplicates.)

Had a routine oil change yesterday @ 21K on my 2017 BRZ (MT base Premium).

The dealer mentioned ("recommended") a few additional items needing service, some which made sense and others not so much.
- Battery failed load test; reasonable, given that the BRZ is 66 months old and still on the original battery; ACCEPTED i.e. went for the new battery (it was competitively priced).
- New tires; yeah, they're 5.5. years old and have 21K miles, but I feel confident I can safely go one more oil change interval before shopping tires (another topic, i.e. new tires) I DECLINED.

Then came these suggestions:
1) "Alignment and fuel induction service"
I didn't find these in the factory maintenance schedule, what are they? Did they mean a standard wheel alignment AND some kind of fuel service? Or is "alignment" part of the fuel service? I DECLINED.

2) Was told I should (or did the service manager say "recommended" again?) replace the manual transmission fluid and the rear diff fluid. I found ambiguous factory info on this, some say 30K miles, other text entries say every 4 years (regardless of mileage) for the diff, which is it? Couldn't find anything on the transmission fluid except "inspect". Since there's no dipstick on either I assume "inspect" means the tech drives it and decides if they don't like the way it's shifting.
I feel as though I foolishly ACCEPTED.
Looks like they also did a rear diff BG flush.
From new the BRZ was notchy, for the first ~5-7K sometimes finicky until warmed up. And remained notchy, once in a while not slipping as smoothly into gear as I'd like, but still always one of the better manuals I've ever owned.
Short story I said yes to both (diff and trans fluid change). Immediately was feeling remorse, as only at 21K, never tracked, etc. But do admit shifting was definitely noticeably "smoother" (maybe slightly heavier? less mechanical clunks) after the service. Not sure yet which I liked better, before or after the fluid changes. Either way I feel like Steve Jobs felt about opening up iPhones, once cracked open RUINED!

So, feeling ripped off! I know better but somehow (because I'm an IDIOT) dropped my guard.
I know, I know -- dealer is always a ripoff (although as I said these services all were competitively priced).
What say you re: the trans/diff fluid change at 5.5 years/21K miles? And what is that "alignment and fuel induction service"? Feel free to call me an IDIOT, I've done the same for the past 24 hours.

PS They also gave me a "free wash" at the dealer. something I forgot to decline, I always hand wash the car and have since new. Dealer has a cheap toy car wash set up. All in all, what was a simple service turned into a pricey bad BRZ day, really my first in 5.5 years of ownership.

And that's what I did to my BRZ (yesterday). Thanks for reading my whine.
My 2017's battery failed in 2019 with the previous owner. Not sure if it's because the outright failed to start, or failed the load test like yours. They replaced it under warranty. Back in the day, the batteries were made by Panasonic for Subarus and lasted for forever. Just ~2 years ago we were upgrading my buddy's 2005 STI and it still had the original battery. My 2004 WRX had the original in 2012 when I bought it.

Alignment is eh. I autocross a ton and had a performance alignment done about 13k miles ago maxing out front camber and zero toe all around. Tire's haven't seen any weird wear, so I've left it. I found even my SO's Sentra at 90k miles hasn't needed one since new and her tires wear fine and drives straight. Don't don't get me started on my WRX - probably hasn't had an alignment in 8+ years as the front adjustments are all rusted in place.

As far as the transmission fluid, mine was kinda hard to get into gear when I got it at 26k miles. Once I remember thinking I was in first, but I guess it was halfway and made some great grinding sounds for a second. Fluid came out BLACK. I replaced it with Motul 300. The stock fluid leaves a bit to be desired. I usually change the Motul every other year now as I autocross and this is about 50 events, plus ~10k miles. For the average street car, 15-20k seems about right if you want to actually enjoy shifting well. The Motul fluid might be a hair better feeling than OEM, but lasts a lot longer. I'd suggest Motul or Redline for your next change - the dealer might even use your fluids for you. Or take it to an independent shop. I get sticking with OEM parts for a lot of things, but this is one of them you'd want to upgrade.

But either way, not bad for 5 years. Cars cost money to maintain.
joro2 (10-27-2022)
Old 10-20-2022, 10:06 AM   #19662
cmiovino

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP, 2004 WRX
I don't have anything awesome to contribute really, but here it goes:
Put the spare tire and tools back in and removed my microphone setup that goes from the backseat through the trunk to the exhaust. Autox season is over
  • Ordered a Dimple magnetic drain plug. Not because I like magnets, but the OEM one was slightly rounded when I got it and has gotten a hair worse. Hopefully this is better metal for a bolt you're alway's putting a socket on.
  • Castrol 0w-20 ready to go in to replace the Motul I use for autox use. I typically use Castrol for some backroads driving before it gets stored with that over winter and replaced again in the spring. I do hate this car takes a full 5 quart container, plus another quart for the remainder. All my other Subarus were 4.8 quarts or so total, which worked out well.
  • Inspected the brake pads, which are stock on the Brembos from 2017. They still have some meat, but probably need replaced as they don't feel as good anymore. May need a fluid flush too.
Busybee (10-23-2022), jcw99 (10-20-2022)
Old 10-22-2022, 01:29 PM   #19663
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,587 Times in 2,929 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I haven't posted my car in a while, so I figured I would. A few things have changed. Unfortunately my STI lip kit was the victim of my new location's drive ways and both the front lip and passenger side skirt had been horribly damaged. I will admit, I do like the naked look. Gave her a good wash and wax this morning. It's pretty hard to keep the car clean in the desert and doesn't help we keep having random ran fall.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to weederr33 For This Useful Post:
Busybee (10-23-2022), gen3v8 (10-22-2022), JD001 (10-22-2022), NoHaveMSG (10-27-2022), norcalpb (10-22-2022)
Old 10-23-2022, 02:04 AM   #19664
Apolllo

My first upgrade on my new (to me) BRZ. Listened to a few different clips online of exhausts and decided the Invidia N2 was the sound I liked the most. Deeper sound, without too much rasp. Plus the N2 was decently priced. Win/Win.

I've done exhausts in the past so it was pretty easy install. One thing that was a lifesaver was using an exhaust hanger tool to push the old hangers out. Never used one before, saved a lot of time and strain on my hands haha.

Overall I am happy with the exhaust. There is some drone on the highway but that was to be expected from some reviews I have read. I don't drive on the highway often, and I think I read the drone is reduced after new headers are put in...but that's a little further down the road

The one thing that took the longest was getting the tips straight and even. Not perfect, but it's as good as I was able to get it.

Busybee (10-23-2022), Clipdat (11-01-2022), gen3v8 (10-23-2022)
Old 10-23-2022, 03:52 AM   #19665
gen3v8
Barred

Drives: My18 wrxsti My19 brzts
Thanked 1,187 Times in 610 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apolllo View Post
My first upgrade on my new (to me) BRZ. Listened to a few different clips online of exhausts and decided the Invidia N2 was the sound I liked the most. Deeper sound, without too much rasp. Plus the N2 was decently priced. Win/Win.

I've done exhausts in the past so it was pretty easy install. One thing that was a lifesaver was using an exhaust hanger tool to push the old hangers out. Never used one before, saved a lot of time and strain on my hands haha.

Overall I am happy with the exhaust. There is some drone on the highway but that was to be expected from some reviews I have read. I don't drive on the highway often, and I think I read the drone is reduced after new headers are put in...but that's a little further down the road

The one thing that took the longest was getting the tips straight and even. Not perfect, but it's as good as I was able to get it.

Too noisy for me, maybe, but glad you like it.
Old 10-23-2022, 02:25 PM   #19666
Apolllo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen3v8 View Post
Too noisy for me, maybe, but glad you like it.
It actually is a little louder in person than I anticipated. I don't mind tho. I'm thinking the Q300 might have been the sweet spot...but I'm happy.
Busybee (10-23-2022), Clipdat (11-01-2022), gen3v8 (10-23-2022)
Old 10-24-2022, 07:34 PM   #19667
Grady

Drives: BRZ Yellow, 2019 Ranger, 2011 Evora
Thanked 1,475 Times in 771 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Drove it to work and back in the rain. Figured since it has been kicked out of the garage for the Evora engine rebuild right now might as well drive it since it is sitting outside anyway. Drove slow due to having cycled out cup 2 tires on it right now.
Attached Images

Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Grady For This Useful Post:
bcj (10-25-2022), Busybee (10-24-2022), juenedgi (11-07-2022), NoHaveMSG (10-27-2022), norcalpb (10-24-2022), Wally86 (10-25-2022), weederr33 (10-26-2022)
Old 10-26-2022, 08:42 PM   #19668
gen3v8
Barred

Drives: My18 wrxsti My19 brzts
Thanked 1,187 Times in 610 Posts
Chasing a friends V8 6spd Audi S5 around Sydney Motorsports Park . Doing 130mph down Brabham straight.
I have not been on this track since 2020,22 years ago, when I hit 166mph on my Yamaha R1.
Attached Images

Busybee (10-27-2022), Dadhawk (10-27-2022), DarkPira7e (10-26-2022), NoHaveMSG (10-27-2022)
Old 11-04-2022, 08:26 PM   #19669
pope
has a funny hat

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Put it away for the winter.
Attached Images

pope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pope For This Useful Post:
Busybee (11-04-2022), JD001 (11-07-2022), LRNAD90 (11-07-2022), Teseo (11-05-2022)
Old 11-04-2022, 08:53 PM   #19670
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,520 Times in 18,921 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pope View Post
Put it away for the winter.
Are you running a blower for a hail bubble all winter long underneath an awning?

Tags
+20 hp, :popcorn:, bragging because we can, brz driving master race, brz whore, damn daniel, dirty frs peasants, fart can, how to waste energy, how to waste money, how to waste time, i like turtles, lazy mods, many tagz, omg pages are fixed…, outlawstar98isanoob, pages are fucked up, pages still fucked, ricers, riflewuzhere