follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

CANADA Canada

User Tag List

Old 07-10-2012, 01:19 PM   #1
rawbz

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Canadian BRZs with USB+3.5mm in glove box

For all the Canadian BRZ owners, is anyone else really annoyed that we didn't get a USB and 3.5mm jack where the rest of the cars have them under the HVAC controls?

Does anyone have any plans to relocate/add an additional set there? I'm seriously considering it but have no desire to open my entire dash just for that...

I think the FR-S' have them there? Why did they do that just for the CANADIAN BRZs???

and why is our bluetooth mic such an afterthought!!

/rant
rawbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:34 PM   #2
jenzan

Drives: '13 Subaru BRZ SSP 6 MT Sport Tech
@rawbz - I completely agree with you. The bluetooth mic could easily have been hidden better or even integrated into the rear-view mirror somehow.

I couldn't believe the sales guy when he said, "Oh be careful when you get out or clean your windshield in case you bump the bluetooth mic or damage it."

I was like, WTF! Why didn't you guys put it in a better location then?

I'm not as annoyed with the USB and 3.5mm jack being in the glovebox as it has made me a much safer driver and not worry about incoming texts and updates from my iPhone. Plus, if it's important enough, they'll call.
jenzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:38 PM   #3
VirUzxZ

Drives: Black on Black on Black
i have the frs and kinda wish they put mine in the glove box, as u could just have an usbdrive/mp3thingy hidden away instead of a Drive/wire coming out of my Center hub area.
VirUzxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:42 PM   #4
Reason

Drives: Whiteout 6MT FR-S; E30 BMW's
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirUzxZ View Post
i have the frs and kinda wish they put mine in the glove box, as u could just have an usbdrive/mp3thingy hidden away instead of a Drive/wire coming out of my Center hub area.
Same here.
I'm actually going to look into having both wired in. I would like to have an ipod in the glovebox and just leave it in there while still retaining the front USB port for charging my phone.
Reason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:40 PM   #5
rawbz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reason View Post
Same here.
I'm actually going to look into having both wired in. I would like to have an ipod in the glovebox and just leave it in there while still retaining the front USB port for charging my phone.
If you do come up with a solution I hope you can share! I'm thinking about buying the parts from Toyota for the console ports and the little rubber cap so I can install it at some point.

My concern is having functional ports for both. I don't think our HU will support it. Maybe turn the one in my glove compartment to just powered... I would've much rather had just a cigarette lighter jack in the glove compartment...
Old 07-10-2012, 05:41 PM   #6
rawbz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenzan View Post
@rawbz - I completely agree with you. The bluetooth mic could easily have been hidden better or even integrated into the rear-view mirror somehow.

I couldn't believe the sales guy when he said, "Oh be careful when you get out or clean your windshield in case you bump the bluetooth mic or damage it."

I was like, WTF! Why didn't you guys put it in a better location then?

I'm not as annoyed with the USB and 3.5mm jack being in the glovebox as it has made me a much safer driver and not worry about incoming texts and updates from my iPhone. Plus, if it's important enough, they'll call.
I have no idea why they even did that.. its like they took all the base model in Japan and fitted it to have everything our sport tech should have? I don't understand... I want to appeal to Subaru Canada for such half-assery you think we'd have a shot? lol
Old 07-10-2012, 07:12 PM   #7
funcheung

Drives: Subaru BRZ WRB
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
my friend and I just hard laughed after spotting the ugly mic above my head hahaha. As for the USB thing, why not use the MicroSD?
funcheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:20 AM   #8
pastuch

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by funcheung View Post
my friend and I just hard laughed after spotting the ugly mic above my head hahaha. As for the USB thing, why not use the MicroSD?
I drop my phone in the phone holder and use the microsd card for music. That way I can completely ignore my phone in my car which is always a good thing!

I find myself enjoying the engine noise a lot too, more than I thought I would.
pastuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:37 AM   #9
funcheung

Drives: Subaru BRZ WRB
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastuch View Post
I find myself enjoying the engine noise a lot too, more than I thought I would.
i know ehh! My friend got hooked onto my car everytime he hears the engine noise, and the intake from me rev-matching. It sounds quite satisfying in a $30k car
funcheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 03:24 AM   #10
Masato-san

Drives: 2013 FRS whiteout
I'm not really sure what all the fuss is about. I have a FRS with the standard deck and I just connected my phone via Bluetooth. The iPod on the iPhone just plays automatically when i sit in the car. No wires. Calls come in through the car via Bluetooth as well. Everything seems to work well and there are no hassles. Sometimes I even have my phone in the trunk and it's all good.
Masato-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 04:12 AM   #11
notFRS

Drives: BRZ Sport-tech
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masato-san View Post
I'm not really sure what all the fuss is about. I have a FRS with the standard deck and I just connected my phone via Bluetooth. The iPod on the iPhone just plays automatically when i sit in the car. No wires. Calls come in through the car via Bluetooth as well. Everything seems to work well and there are no hassles. Sometimes I even have my phone in the trunk and it's all good.
This guy has it figured out

I fail to see how this is an issue, you WANT wires running all over your interior??

Plug in device, close glovebox, ignore.
iphone on bluetooth, ipod on cable.
notFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:10 AM   #12
pastuch

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Depends on how picky you are really, bluetooth audio is still using the awful SBC codec. In a year everything should be AptX codec and then bluetooth will finally be ready for the world.
pastuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 03:51 PM   #13
rawbz

Quote:
Originally Posted by notFRS View Post
This guy has it figured out

I fail to see how this is an issue, you WANT wires running all over your interior??

Plug in device, close glovebox, ignore.
iphone on bluetooth, ipod on cable.
Well I'd still want to have access to my phone while I'm in the car. I understand using the microsd would be good for media etc. but charging my phone while still having access to it is pretty important to me. It would be one wire which if too long would run down the passenger side foot well?

Maybe some day down the road I will be brave enough to move the ports to the empty slot but it doesn't seem to be a big issue to most.