follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-28-2012, 07:51 PM   #1
thejevans
Rugger Extraordinaire
 
thejevans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Drives: 1997 Miata, R.I.P. 2013 Red FR-S
Location: Derwood, Maryland, United States
Posts: 538
Thanks: 142
Thanked 258 Times in 145 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Nexus 7 Car Audio DIY

Ok, so I haven't started this yet because I'm still waiting on parts to ship, but I figured I would lay out my plan. The goal of this is to be cheap and usable. I'm going to keep the stock head unit and build a removable bracket to mount a Nexus 7 in front of it. This allows me to still use the bluetooth (for phone calls) and radio.

To mount the Nexus 7, I'm getting [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008NMCPXW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&smid=A29LLD0WGS56WE"]this[/ame] case and making a bracket to mount it to out of either aluminum or steel (depends on what my friends have lying around). the bracket will have a hinge so that the tablet can swing out to the right so that I can access the headunit controls without removing the tablet. The bracket will mount to the plastic panel around the headunit with magnets. The USB cable will fit between the headunit and the plastic cover without issues, but will look kind of sloppy when the tablet isn't installed. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find a way around this, as I cannot find a micro USB extension cable with all five pins usable at each end.

A major downside of the Nexus 7 for projects like this is that the internal DAC is pretty bad, so audio output over the 3.5mm jack sucks. I got around this by using a custom kernel to allow me to use a USB DAC and charge the tablet at the same time using an OTG + USB power Y-cable. Another plus from this setup is that there is only one cable to connect to the tablet.

Here is a simple wiring diagram:



I'll try to keep updating this as I start building the bracket.
thejevans is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thejevans For This Useful Post:
Anduz (11-30-2012), Sportsguy83 (11-29-2012)
Old 11-28-2012, 08:03 PM   #2
Synack
Boosted
 
Synack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Drives: Sideways
Location: Atlanta Georgia USA
Posts: 2,377
Thanks: 388
Thanked 716 Times in 414 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
In for the bracket as I have a Nexus 7 that I want to use for Maps and Torque.
__________________
Nismo 370Z 300whp -> FR-S Turbo 450whp on E85 -> Z06 Corvette 500whp
Synack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:05 PM   #3
chate
Pharmasaurus Magnificus
 
chate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Location: Orange County,CA
Posts: 597
Thanks: 37
Thanked 123 Times in 67 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
eentresting..sub'd!
__________________
2013 FRS 6MT (Delivered 5/12/12 - 1st86!)
AEM CAI / Magnaflow Catback / OFT / OFH / e85

2015 Nissan GTR
chate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:19 PM   #4
2forme
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Location: MA
Posts: 2,974
Thanks: 972
Thanked 1,552 Times in 843 Posts
Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
You're going to love torque in the car. I love it on my head unit!
2forme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:12 PM   #5
iBRZ
fanboy
 
iBRZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Drives: SWP Limited BRZ AT
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA
Posts: 125
Thanks: 118
Thanked 60 Times in 30 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
sub'd
__________________

"I end up not buying a lot of things, because I find them ridiculous."
My Car Journal
iBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:58 AM   #6
xn7485
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Drives: 1995 Acura Integra GS-R
Location: VA
Posts: 340
Thanks: 46
Thanked 96 Times in 66 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I would suggest Nexus 7 + Proclip + Tablet Mount. It's what I plan to run Torque Pro on. I've got the clip, but Nexus 7's are on backorder on the Egg so waiting for restock.

I would like to see what you will fabricate though, the proclip w/ car charger for Nexus 7 isn't exactly cheap.
xn7485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:16 AM   #7
thejevans
Rugger Extraordinaire
 
thejevans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Drives: 1997 Miata, R.I.P. 2013 Red FR-S
Location: Derwood, Maryland, United States
Posts: 538
Thanks: 142
Thanked 258 Times in 145 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xn7485 View Post
I would suggest Nexus 7 + Proclip + Tablet Mount. It's what I plan to run Torque Pro on. I've got the clip, but Nexus 7's are on backorder on the Egg so waiting for restock.

I would like to see what you will fabricate though, the proclip w/ car charger for Nexus 7 isn't exactly cheap.

Yeah, I checked out the proclip route, but it's far too expensive for my taste, and I would most likely have to rebuild the USB connector to do what I need.
thejevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:00 PM   #8
Synack
Boosted
 
Synack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Drives: Sideways
Location: Atlanta Georgia USA
Posts: 2,377
Thanks: 388
Thanked 716 Times in 414 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forme View Post
You're going to love torque in the car. I love it on my head unit!
I mainly want it for codes, boost, IAT's, other temps, oil, etc.
__________________
Nismo 370Z 300whp -> FR-S Turbo 450whp on E85 -> Z06 Corvette 500whp
Synack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:27 PM   #9
2forme
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Location: MA
Posts: 2,974
Thanks: 972
Thanked 1,552 Times in 843 Posts
Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synack View Post
I mainly want it for codes, boost, IAT's, other temps, oil, etc.
That's what I use it for. Well haven't gotten a code, and don't have boost yet, but I monitor the temps and such of other stuff. Love having gauge widgets on the head units home screen too.
2forme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:08 PM   #10
sharris721
Senior Member
 
sharris721's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Drives: BRZ 6MT
Location: Ohio
Posts: 122
Thanks: 53
Thanked 22 Times in 15 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16435
sharris721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:03 PM   #11
Dezoris
Senior Member
 
Dezoris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Drives: FR-S
Location: IL
Posts: 2,857
Thanks: 519
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I will be switching to a USB DAC but only when I swap out the OEM speakers.

The custom bezel work is $400 almost the entire cost of installing the tablet.
For me that was the most annoying part.

So far using the tablet full time now and no major issues to report.
I would love to see someone actually do a full Android head unit using modern hardware and display technologies and latest versions of Android.

As it is since installing the Nexus 7 there have been 3 major version updates.
__________________
Dezoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:08 PM   #12
2forme
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Location: MA
Posts: 2,974
Thanks: 972
Thanked 1,552 Times in 843 Posts
Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezoris View Post
I will be switching to a USB DAC but only when I swap out the OEM speakers.

The custom bezel work is $400 almost the entire cost of installing the tablet.
For me that was the most annoying part.

So far using the tablet full time now and no major issues to report.
I would love to see someone actually do a full Android head unit using modern hardware and display technologies and latest versions of Android.

As it is since installing the Nexus 7 there have been 3 major version updates.
I'm actually considering doing a kickstarter and making a market competitive head unit. I just need to find an electronics engineer and a CAD person to design the actual unit. Then I can price out manufacturing cost and open up pre-orders.

But if they can make a 200$ quad core tablet, then I can't imagine the cost of a decent DAC with amp, FM radio, and chassis would cost much.
2forme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:29 PM   #13
Dezoris
Senior Member
 
Dezoris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Drives: FR-S
Location: IL
Posts: 2,857
Thanks: 519
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forme View Post
I'm actually considering doing a kickstarter and making a market competitive head unit. I just need to find an electronics engineer and a CAD person to design the actual unit. Then I can price out manufacturing cost and open up pre-orders.

But if they can make a 200$ quad core tablet, then I can't imagine the cost of a decent DAC with amp, FM radio, and chassis would cost much.
If you could basically do Nexus 7 Level hardware into a head unit, with the control ability of the Android head units you tested and video switching and get it done for under $650 or even $700 you would have a serious product on your hands.

We both know the main reason the tablet is $250 is because its heavily subsidized by Google. But a very good single DIN head unit is only $250, you can pack a quality AMP, DAC I dont see how you could not put something together for $600 and tack on $100 profit for each.
__________________
Dezoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:39 PM   #14
2forme
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Location: MA
Posts: 2,974
Thanks: 972
Thanked 1,552 Times in 843 Posts
Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezoris View Post
If you could basically do Nexus 7 Level hardware into a head unit, with the control ability of the Android head units you tested and video switching and get it done for under $650 or even $700 you would have a serious product on your hands.

We both know the main reason the tablet is $250 is because its heavily subsidized by Google. But a very good single DIN head unit is only $250, you can pack a quality AMP, DAC I dont see how you could not put something together for $600 and tack on $100 profit for each.
Right. But I mean even those hdmi sticks with dual cores and 512 ram running ICS are only 80 bux. I don't see any reason why it can't all work nicely. I need an engineer to map it out and such.
2forme is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nexus 7 Tablet Lefty Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment 63 06-13-2015 01:18 PM
FR-S Audio Build - SQ (Illusion Audio/Mosconi) DekaMori Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment 28 04-17-2013 04:34 AM
Anyone picking up a Nexus 4 or 10? Available Now ironchef Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] 0 11-13-2012 01:19 PM
'Noobish' questions as I look to upgrade my car audio audio. DkY in Vcr Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment 0 09-22-2012 09:45 PM
Installing a Galaxy Nexus ? Ideas ? miodculae Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment 13 07-20-2012 03:36 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2024 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.