follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 06-07-2020, 03:16 AM   #1
Escher

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Does the Exedy OEM Clutch Kit come w/ the"revised" throwout bearing?

I've been getting conflicting info on this.

I know that the original TBs have terrible reliability, quickly going bad and giving us our favorite brushing/scraping noise.

I am about to drop my trans to replace mine for this reason, and I figured as I'm at the 60K mile mark, I may as well take a look at the clutch assembly while I'm in there and replace it if I feel it's warranted.

That's what led me to purchase this Exedy OEM Clutch Kit, which I thought was perfect because it came with the bearing I needed as well anyway.

Unfortunately, I soon after started stumbling upon anecdotal info on whether or not that kit comes with the original garbage bearing, or with the "revised" bearing.

So can someone please give me a final answer on this? I am not going to install a potentially flaky bearing that I'll just have to go through this whole process again to replace in a couple years.

If the kit does come with the garbage bearing, I have only found two alleged "improved" versions. The aforementioned "revised OEM", and one from ACT for double the price. Does anyone have experience with the difference in quality between these, and whether it's actually worth a 100% increase in price?

Thank you!
Escher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 05:57 AM   #2
Sapphireho
helmholtz resonator

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,366 Times in 8,673 Posts
Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
According to the numbers on the "ACT" one, it is the old OEM Subaru tob.

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129260

Get the kit and see which one it has. If it has the old one, go to your dealer and get a new one.
Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sapphireho For This Useful Post:
Lantanafrs2 (06-07-2020)
Old 06-07-2020, 09:20 AM   #3
Lantanafrs2

Drives: 2013 frs red
Thanked 3,089 Times in 1,654 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
If you replace the bearing early enough the clutch may be fine.
Lantanafrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 09:33 AM   #4
TommyW

Drives: '13 Whiteout
Thanked 1,242 Times in 673 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
You need to buy it separately from the factory at least that was the case 6 months ago when I did the spring recall. I talked to Exedy and they said they supply the old bearing
TommyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 03:56 PM   #5
Escher

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyW View Post
You need to buy it separately from the factory at least that was the case 6 months ago when I did the spring recall. I talked to Exedy and they said they supply the old bearing
That's the info I needed, thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantanafrs2 View Post
If you replace the bearing early enough the clutch may be fine.
I know, however since I'm going through all the effort of dropping the transmission in the first place, I may as well take a look at the clutch assembly to see if it's work replacing. I got the car @ ~35K miles, and have no idea how hard the previous owner ran it.

Either I decide it looks like it needs replacing and I get it knocked out right then and there, or I don't and I return the kit and get a couple hundred bucks back.

Either way, the bearing and retainer cover are coming out.
Old 06-07-2020, 08:53 PM   #6
TommyW

Drives: '13 Whiteout
Thanked 1,242 Times in 673 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escher View Post
That's the info I needed, thank you!

I know, however since I'm going through all the effort of dropping the transmission in the first place, I may as well take a look at the clutch assembly to see if it's work replacing. I got the car @ ~35K miles, and have no idea how hard the previous owner ran it.

Either I decide it looks like it needs replacing and I get it knocked out right then and there, or I don't and I return the kit and get a couple hundred bucks back.

Either way, the bearing and retainer cover are coming out.
The part is 20 dollars. Not replacing it is just stupid
TommyW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TommyW For This Useful Post:
re-animator (12-02-2020)
Old 06-07-2020, 09:16 PM   #7
Escher

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyW View Post
The part is 20 dollars. Not replacing it is just stupid
Like I said, I'm replacing the bearing regardless. It's only the clutch that I'm not certainly replacing.
Old 06-08-2020, 01:59 AM   #8
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,981 Times in 16,483 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escher View Post
Like I said, I'm replacing the bearing regardless. It's only the clutch that I'm not certainly replacing.
If it were my car and I hadn't put 35,000 of its miles on it and had it apart and already had the new clutch kit, I would replace the clutch disk and pressure plate. Also, I'd take a hard look at the flywheel surface and the condition of the clutch fork.
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 02:04 AM   #9
Escher

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
If it were my car and I hadn't put 35,000 of its miles on it and had it apart and already had the new clutch kit, I would replace the clutch disk and pressure plate. Also, I'd take a hard look at the flywheel surface and the condition of the clutch fork.
I got the flywheel and fork ready to go as well! I was taking a hard look at the verus forged fork, but it's extremely overpriced and I'm not running aftermarket hardware that would cause more clutch pressure than I think the OEM fork can handle.

All in I spent $600 on the clutch kit, flywheel, fork, and bearing retainer cover.
Old 06-08-2020, 09:33 AM   #10
Mike_ZN6

Drives: 2016 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Does anyone else find it strange that Exedy is still knowingly selling a faulty TOB for several years now? Did they make all their kits back in 2013 and are still selling the same stock or something? I don't get why they would not just start including the new part number with their kit.
Mike_ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 09:44 AM   #11
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,086 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
It's not exactly "faulty". Just supposedly lasting less then newer revision. Exedy is very big vendor making clutches (including OE) for wide variety of cars, many of which were sold in much higher numbers. I don't know what procedures and how quick exedy updates their products with never parts, or if it does anything with retail shops to update kits in their inventories, but i wouldn't make such fuss about it either. Cheap enough part that can be bought separately. And even non-revised original OE TOB imho should last at least 20K. "Faulty" sounds exaggerated a bit.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote