follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 08-16-2013, 12:28 PM   #1
Kimsey47

Drives: 2016 STI DGM
Thanked 1,460 Times in 662 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
How hard is it really?

This is really just a rant over something stupid but I need to vent...

The dealership which I bought my car from provided what I felt was a pretty good experience. Their service department? FAIL.

Why is this? Because they don't take a second to LISTEN to me. Other than changing the oil and rotating the tires I have had two minor or relatively simple issues I've brought forward and they completely MISS THE MARK at resolution.

The first issue I had were rattles, and I even took the time to troubleshoot and pinpoint the cause. They "could not recreate" the rattle that happens everytime I drive the car (and when pulling out that day). Ok... So they sucked and failed at that, so I fixed all the rattles on my own...

Now, I hear a rattle and can't pinpoint it. I don't tell the dealer because if they can't hear the others then they're not going to hear this one. FINALLY I notice that my homelink mirror is vibrating like crazy going down the road to find that my mirror is like many others, in where the bracket which mounts to the windshield has been stripped. This causes the mirror to hold up, however, it loosens quickly and is likely to fall off.

I bring this to them, I tell them about it when booking my service, I tell them again when I bring the car in. What do they do when they call? They tell me that they couldn't find any issues with my sun visors. I immediately tell them that it isn't the visor, but the mirror. They then reply that they've tightened it and have ordered a new part and will call when it comes in...

FOUR weeks later I'm still driving around with the mirror, and I've just contacted their service department to find they have no damn clue what I'm talking about. I'm pretty disgusted with how they seem to treat these small issues when it is their job to fix them! Hell, I'm diagnosing the issue and telling them the fix and they still fail! How $@&#ing hard is it?!

SO! After all that rant... What would you do? I've asked them to order the part and then told them that I'll start providing them a detailed instruction sheet whenever I bring the car in on what I want done, along with the suggested fix I have for it. Should I even bother with this? Or should I just take my BRZ to my local Scion dealer since there are no other Subaru dealers around?

(Also, some are going to say just fix it yourself, but I'm willing to and want to pay others to fix this stuff and fix it right since it is their JOB. I already have a job and just want them to do this so I don't have to worry about this stupid crap like I'm having to now. Thanks!)
Old 08-16-2013, 12:57 PM   #2
SigmaHyperion

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Unfortunately, while its the same car, the local Scion dealer isn't going to do diddily for you.

Well, they would, but they'll charge you out the wazzoo for it. They don't have the ability to charge Subaru for their time and parts.
SigmaHyperion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:19 PM   #3
blue_frs

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Sorry to hear their service department is lacking the drive and common sense to do their job. I would definitely get in touch with the maintenance department manager and express your complaints. If that does nothing or they blow you off i would get in touch with Subaru directly about the specific dealership not doing their job as managers and trained technicians.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
blue_frs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blue_frs For This Useful Post:
Kimsey47 (08-16-2013)
Old 08-16-2013, 01:21 PM   #4
Kimsey47

Yeah, I sent an email detailing what has occured to the dealer's service department. Hopefully they'll give a dang but I have a feeling like they didn't care when I first came in and so why would they now? Also I'm screwed on another Subaru dealer for service... Nearest one is 1.5+ no matter which direction I go.
Old 08-16-2013, 01:24 PM   #5
Kimsey47

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigmaHyperion View Post
Unfortunately, while its the same car, the local Scion dealer isn't going to do diddily for you.

Well, they would, but they'll charge you out the wazzoo for it. They don't have the ability to charge Subaru for their time and parts.
Yeah, I was thinking of going to my local Scion for any further service or any future issues after getting the Subaru dealer to fix this problem. Any warranty issues I'd have to return to the Subie dealer, but yeah... Not impressed with their day-to-day issues so for a large problem kinda worried.
Old 08-16-2013, 02:12 PM   #6
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,487 Times in 5,001 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Again, this is the only Subaru dealer within a convenient distance to you?

Edit: holy shit, you're an hour and a half from Subaru of America headquarters, why did you bother with an email
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:51 PM   #7
andrew20195

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Edit: holy shit, you're an hour and a half from Subaru of America headquarters, why did you bother with an email
The SOA headquarters is in Cherry Hill, NJ. A bit further than half an hour from Chattanooga.
andrew20195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:19 PM   #8
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,487 Times in 5,001 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew20195 View Post
The SOA headquarters is in Cherry Hill, NJ. A bit further than half an hour from Chattanooga.
Ah my mistake, it's apparently a distribution center, I don't think they would do much with customer complaints.

Quote:
Regional Distribution Centers
Subaru operates 5 warehouses throughout the United States supporting Subaru dealer parts and accessories needs in the US and western Canada. Our warehouses are located in Westampton, NJ; Austell GA (near Atlanta); Whitestown IN (near Indianapolis); Aurora CO (near Denver); and Portland OR. We have over 100 people employed at our warehouses.
http://www.subaru.com/company/index.html
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:38 PM   #9
Abenaki
Curmudgeon@gezzer.com

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Actually, it looks like NJ is correct.... Found this on the Subaru US site:

Subaru of America, Inc. moved to its current Cherry Hill, NJ, facility in 1986. The $18 million, 115,000 square-foot, seven-story structure serves as the company's national headquarters housing approximately 300 people in Finance, IT, Marketing, Sales and Product Planning. The company markets Subaru vehicles, parts and accessories through a network of approximately 600 dealers across the United States.
Abenaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:44 PM   #10
shiumai

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ, 2020 C8 Corvette
Thanked 1,893 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
every time i go to the dealership for service i hand them a sheet of paper with a list of things i'd like checked/done/not done (like wash). i wait while they enter the notes into their computer then they print out their own form/sheet and i double check the notes.
shiumai is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shiumai For This Useful Post:
Laika (08-16-2013)
Old 08-16-2013, 09:19 PM   #11
Laika
When In Doubt...

Drives: Slowww
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiumai View Post
every time i go to the dealership for service i hand them a sheet of paper with a list of things i'd like checked/done/not done (like wash). i wait while they enter the notes into their computer then they print out their own form/sheet and i double check the notes.

That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of.

I'm doing this from now on.

Join the Galaxy Blue Silica BRZ registry below:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...2c&usp=sharing
Laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:32 PM   #12
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,498 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
I have no hassle with service dept because I haven't taken it in once yet. I need to fix Tail lights and GPS but I hate dealing with them so I'm just waiting a bit. Soon I will be courageous (foolish?) enough to let them fix my car.
ZionsWrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 11:01 PM   #13
Opie

Drives: '13 BRZ TLM Spec
Thanked 2,346 Times in 1,006 Posts
Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Garage
Tell them you want to ride with a tech and duplicate/show the issues to them. No matter how clearly you describe it to them, a demonstration is better.