follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 07-27-2013, 02:39 PM   #1037
fenton

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 1,614 Times in 726 Posts
Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderbar View Post
I'd say next step to pull this into a packaged product is a mounting bracket, just hanging off silicon is pretty ghetto fab.
We originally had a bracket but after mounting it up it isn't going anywhere. It is in there so tight. It looks a lot cleaner without the bracket as well. For those interested I know rob could toss a bracket in. It only took him 30 seconds to make it.

So far zero problems without it though

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 02:39 PM   #1038
Dustin2JZ
StatusLow

Drives: 2013 10 Series FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
I'd say next step to pull this into a packaged product is a mounting bracket, just hanging off silicon is pretty ghetto fab.
Well I think it's relying more on the stock air box to hold it up.

But I really don't want to use a stock air box. So I will definitely be making some custom brackets if I get this. I'll prolly polish the charger too.
Old 07-27-2013, 02:53 PM   #1039
Wonderbar
Driveway labs.

Drives: '13 BRZ Limited, 6sp, SWP
Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenton View Post
We originally had a bracket but after mounting it up it isn't going anywhere. It is in there so tight. It looks a lot cleaner without the bracket as well. For those interested I know rob could toss a bracket in. It only took him 30 seconds to make it.

So far zero problems without it though

Yeah but think of a marketing standpoint. If you want people like me who are very critical of completeness and quality to stop nitpicking it, there's a lot of finish work that can be done. Silicon will stretch and tear under tension over time. I'd bet that this thing jumps when it kicks on and it'll move a little under braking and accelerating.

A lot of my vote towards the vortech kit was because its such high quality, even then I sent an email to vortech pointing out what I called "cheap and garbage looking components".

Aside from the performance points I hit on, a few physical changes or additions would make this more pallatable.
Wonderbar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wonderbar For This Useful Post:
fenton (07-27-2013)
Old 07-27-2013, 03:12 PM   #1040
fenton

Quote:
Yeah but think of a marketing standpoint. If you want people like me who are very critical of completeness and quality to stop nitpicking it, there's a lot of finish work that can be done. Silicon will stretch and tear under tension over time. I'd bet that this thing jumps when it kicks on and it'll move a little under braking and accelerating.

Aside from the performance points I hit on, a few physical changes or additions would make this more pallatable.
I'll mention that to the designer.

Old 07-27-2013, 03:36 PM   #1041
Wonderbar
Driveway labs.

Garage
Any thought of running this off of a programmable water/meth controller? You could set an rpm range or throttle input range that this would run at say 2500-redline or 30%-100% throttle.
Old 07-27-2013, 03:46 PM   #1042
fenton

Quote:
Any thought of running this off of a programmable water/meth controller? You could set an rpm range or throttle input range that this would run at say 2500-redline or 30%-100% throttle.
Right now the idea is to keep the cost and complexity down. Right now it is cheap and dead simple to use and install... Anyone can do it.

Adding all this other stuff would probably put it in the price range of a turbo and he is shooting for less than half the price of the cheapest turbo.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Old 07-27-2013, 04:11 PM   #1043
Dustin2JZ
StatusLow

Drives: 2013 10 Series FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenton View Post
Right now the idea is to keep the cost and complexity down. Right now it is cheap and dead simple to use and install... Anyone can do it.

Adding all this other stuff would probably put it in the price range of a turbo and he is shooting for less than half the price of the cheapest turbo.

Thats they way i would prefer

Plus that lets me make my own brackets and customize it so it loks unique as well
Dustin2JZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dustin2JZ For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (07-27-2013), Robftss (07-27-2013)
Old 07-27-2013, 07:37 PM   #1044
Danh818

Drives: Asphalt FR-S Porsche 944e
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
@Wonderbar Try not to take this the wrong way, but it is my opinion that your posts here continue to be both negative and frivolous. Maybe you ought to think about moving over to the open source electric charger thread. They seem to be going down a little bit different path than Phantom. I think that product would be better suited for you. Don't forget that the title of this thread is "Full Throttle Electric Supercharger Build"
Danh818 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Danh818 For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (07-27-2013)
Old 07-27-2013, 07:57 PM   #1045
Wonderbar
Driveway labs.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danh818 View Post
@Wonderbar Try not to take this the wrong way, but it is my opinion that your posts here continue to be both negative and frivolous. Maybe you ought to think about moving over to the open source electric charger thread. They seem to be going down a little bit different path than Phantom. I think that product would be better suited for you. Don't forget that the title of this thread is "Full Throttle Electric Supercharger Build"
This whole time I've been lost without you.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wonderbar For This Useful Post:
Danh818 (07-27-2013)
Old 07-27-2013, 08:12 PM   #1046
Wonderbar
Driveway labs.

Garage
Bro trust me, if you want to spend your money on this then that's what you're going to spend it on, I'm merely raising my own concerns, questions and spitting out a little of what I would do. Not once have I said that this is terrible and probably the most negative thing I've said has been that I think for direct comparison to capabilities is that nitrous is better.

I've gone as far to say and actually consider it as an alternative for running a high boost/waste gate option on my s/c to get a faster climb under 2500 rpms.

If you're unable to take constructive critisizim about something you're doing then you're gonna have a hard time in life. Not everyone is going to love everything.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:14 PM   #1047
fenton

Quote:
Bro trust me, if you want to spend your money on this then that's what you're going to spend it on, I'm merely raising my own concerns, questions and spitting out a little of what I would do. Not once have I said that this is terrible and probably the most negative thing I've said has been that I think for direct comparison to capabilities is that nitrous is better.

I've gone as far to say and actually consider it as an alternative for running a high boost/waste gate option on my s/c to get a faster climb under 2500 rpms.

If you're unable to take constructive critisizim about something you're doing then you're gonna have a hard time in life. Not everyone is going to love everything.
I'm pumped to see the first person plumb this into a innovative or vortech setup..

With the electric setup we were making 180 torque as low as 2000 rpm holding tell 5500

Old 07-27-2013, 08:43 PM   #1048
Wonderbar
Driveway labs.

Garage
To be honest I think it would be great for one of the fat turbos that don't spool until 4k or higher. Vortech makes power from 0-redline it could just use a little push under 2500 if for whatever reason you found yourself there.
Old 07-27-2013, 09:13 PM   #1049
fenton

Quote:
To be honest I think it would be great for one of the fat turbos that don't spool until 4k or higher. Vortech makes power from 0-redline it could just use a little push under 2500 if for whatever reason you found yourself there.
At my altitude the vortech kit could really use help until 5000 rpm.

This is a torque plot plus boost plot vs a 9psi vortech kit running their base tune.

Keep in mind this is before I was tuned so we have about 10 HP more on the top end .

Old 07-27-2013, 09:51 PM   #1050
PantsDants

Drives: Scion FR-S A/T, Whiteout
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
So has a solution for the CEL under 3000 rpm on the stock ECU been found? Will there be a window switch included with the kit? The big selling point for me on this kit is that it can be safely run without requiring modification to the ECU.
PantsDants is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
26$ / wtq, affordable boost, better than turbo, brz electric supercharger, do want, dumbass freddy, electric shrimpage, electric supercharger, electronic supercharger, epic thread tag, fanboy circle jerk!, freddy keyboardwarrior, frs electric supercharger, get a real blower, haters gonna hate, hows the battery life?, lol, moar powa, nos with battery, one gear race champion, only pulls hard once, phantom charge, pm-robftss to order!, release date=not yet, release it already!, released!, rice, shut up and take our $$$, snake oil claims, street only, super pursuit mode, the price isn't known yet, tq300 plzkkthxbai, wooshy noise, yes turbo is better, yes turbo is expensive