follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 12-10-2016, 02:50 AM   #85
synchromesh

Drives: Ultramarine Blue
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Impreza View Post
You do understand that the 86 (FRS) & BRZ are all designed and made in Japan.

I can't let you get away with this.

The first concept car appeared at the 2007 North American International Autoshow. Calty Design Research designed the vehicle. They are based out of California and Michigan.

Another concept car appeared at the 2011 Geneva Auto Show. It was literally created in France. Same as my still original Michelins that would have still-running warranty if I was American. Interesting because I've been looking at 2000-ish Lexus coupes recently and iirc it was designed in France.

I missed my class tonight because I didn't think it was appropriate to drive in my Nepalese-sourced seats.
synchromesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 03:51 AM   #86
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by synchromesh View Post
I can't let you get away with this.

The first concept car appeared at the 2007 North American International Autoshow. Calty Design Research designed the vehicle. They are based out of California and Michigan.

Another concept car appeared at the 2011 Geneva Auto Show. It was literally created in France. Same as my still original Michelins that would have still-running warranty if I was American. Interesting because I've been looking at 2000-ish Lexus coupes recently and iirc it was designed in France.

I missed my class tonight because I didn't think it was appropriate to drive in my Nepalese-sourced seats.
But all were sourced through Toyota not Scion and that is the point of this exercise.
Old 12-10-2016, 04:25 AM   #87
synchromesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
But all were sourced through Toyota not Scion and that is the point of this exercise.

I understand, sir. But back to the original council topic, I'm just saying I wouldn't be surprised design or marketing or production teams could involve over a dozen quality men and woman. The possibility, someone from Scion is not entirely impossible.

I'm just trying to help. I just don't want what's inside your tuque to grow too long!

Btw, I've spent an hour or so baffled as well on a thread I started a while ago. The color blue I would say has more meaning than you think, sir.
Old 12-10-2016, 07:23 AM   #88
WWFT86

Drives: 2017 BRZ Limited
Quote:
Yep that looks reliable (even though I can't read it). A few lines of text and about 100 ads and unrelated links.
Well if you're looking for an official release from a Toyota website, you ain't getting it based on their press release track record...

Here's few other pages that has more verbiage and confirms the possibilities -- these are all just speculations for now so take it for what its worth:

Toyota 86 and Subaru 's BRZ, whose trends in the next model are drawing attention. By the way, as for the current model, the big minor change was just announced in July 2016. ⇒ Toyota 86 and BRZ minor changes will be implemented in 2016! The release date is as early as August 1, the story of the next model is emerging, so this time we will deliver information on the next Toyota 86 and Subaru's BRZ. The latest information of the next Toyota 86 and BRZ! Full model change is 2019 or less <Current miniature Toyota 86> Because Toyota and Mazda have partnered, for the time being, the next Toyota 86 will be a car based on the Mazda Roadster, and the next BRZ will not come out There were rumors. However, it is just a hoax, and in May 2016 Fuji Heavy Industries (Subaru) president Yoshinaga is advancing consultations towards the development of "Next Toyota 86" and "Next Subaru BRZ" equipped with its engine As it was made clear, the release of the second generation Toyota 86 and BRZ has been almost certainly viewed. Therefore, although it is about the time of full model change to the second generation, 2019 is the most promising at the present time. Originally it is said that the current type of Toyota 86 and BRZ were planned in the 10-year life cycle, but it seems that it is moving towards a model change earlier than that. For Toyota 86 and BRZ, which is the second generation, Toyota is in charge of design and planning, and Subaru is responsible for development, design and production, which is the same role as the first generation of the current type. Also, the design of the exterior after the full model change of the next Toyota 86 and BRZ is basic, there is a strong possibility of becoming the keep type concept of the current type. Subaru's downsizing turbo installation and next BRZ set up STI or as current type, Subaru is responsible for development, design and production, so SUBAR's new generation platform SGP for the platform, 4 cylinders for the engine Horizontal opposed engine of the forecast is adopted. In addition, as a power train of the next Toyota 86 and the next BRZ after the full model change, there is also a possibility that Subaru's 1.5 ℓ downsizing turbo engine developed by Subaru will be installed

http://an-drive.net/new-cars/blog/2016/07/09/post-5802/

In the next term 86, co-development with Mazda (roadster base) was also rumored, but it seems to continue to develop jointly with Subaru as it is now. Mazda is moving on its own line and Subaru who has entered a lot of motor sports is a husband able to make sports cars well and it is not surprising that BRZ has been a result as well.

The next 86 / BRZ seems to be a goal to raise the output further than the current one. It is rumored that it is about 220 ps. In order to achieve this maximum output, it is said to increase the displacement to 2.2 L or to consider a turbo! Turbo may be equipped with 1.5L turbo! Currently, 1.6L turbo is on the Revog, but it seems to further reduce the displacement. Levog 1.6L Turbo DIT is a regular specification (maximum output 170ps maximum torque / 25.5kgm), so 86 / BRZ will be high octave specification.

http://carinfoj.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-983.html
same rumor... 2019... 1.5L turbo
Old 12-10-2016, 11:54 AM   #89
Tcoat

Quote:
I understand, sir. But back to the original council topic, I'm just saying I wouldn't be surprised design or marketing or production teams could involve over a dozen quality men and woman. The possibility, someone from Scion is not entirely impossible.

I'm just trying to help. I just don't want what's inside your tuque to grow too long!

Btw, I've spent an hour or so baffled as well on a thread I started a while ago. The color blue I would say has more meaning than you think, sir.
"Someone from Scion" is not the same as Scion controlled the project.
strat61caster (12-10-2016)
Old 12-10-2016, 11:59 AM   #90
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWFT86 View Post
Well if you're looking for an official release from a Toyota website, you ain't getting it based on their press release track record...

Here's few other pages that has more verbiage and confirms the possibilities -- these are all just speculations for now so take it for what its worth:

Toyota 86 and Subaru 's BRZ, whose trends in the next model are drawing attention. By the way, as for the current model, the big minor change was just announced in July 2016. ⇒ Toyota 86 and BRZ minor changes will be implemented in 2016! The release date is as early as August 1, the story of the next model is emerging, so this time we will deliver information on the next Toyota 86 and Subaru's BRZ. The latest information of the next Toyota 86 and BRZ! Full model change is 2019 or less <Current miniature Toyota 86> Because Toyota and Mazda have partnered, for the time being, the next Toyota 86 will be a car based on the Mazda Roadster, and the next BRZ will not come out There were rumors. However, it is just a hoax, and in May 2016 Fuji Heavy Industries (Subaru) president Yoshinaga is advancing consultations towards the development of "Next Toyota 86" and "Next Subaru BRZ" equipped with its engine As it was made clear, the release of the second generation Toyota 86 and BRZ has been almost certainly viewed. Therefore, although it is about the time of full model change to the second generation, 2019 is the most promising at the present time. Originally it is said that the current type of Toyota 86 and BRZ were planned in the 10-year life cycle, but it seems that it is moving towards a model change earlier than that. For Toyota 86 and BRZ, which is the second generation, Toyota is in charge of design and planning, and Subaru is responsible for development, design and production, which is the same role as the first generation of the current type. Also, the design of the exterior after the full model change of the next Toyota 86 and BRZ is basic, there is a strong possibility of becoming the keep type concept of the current type. Subaru's downsizing turbo installation and next BRZ set up STI or as current type, Subaru is responsible for development, design and production, so SUBAR's new generation platform SGP for the platform, 4 cylinders for the engine Horizontal opposed engine of the forecast is adopted. In addition, as a power train of the next Toyota 86 and the next BRZ after the full model change, there is also a possibility that Subaru's 1.5 ℓ downsizing turbo engine developed by Subaru will be installed

http://an-drive.net/new-cars/blog/2016/07/09/post-5802/

In the next term 86, co-development with Mazda (roadster base) was also rumored, but it seems to continue to develop jointly with Subaru as it is now. Mazda is moving on its own line and Subaru who has entered a lot of motor sports is a husband able to make sports cars well and it is not surprising that BRZ has been a result as well.

The next 86 / BRZ seems to be a goal to raise the output further than the current one. It is rumored that it is about 220 ps. In order to achieve this maximum output, it is said to increase the displacement to 2.2 L or to consider a turbo! Turbo may be equipped with 1.5L turbo! Currently, 1.6L turbo is on the Revog, but it seems to further reduce the displacement. Levog 1.6L Turbo DIT is a regular specification (maximum output 170ps maximum torque / 25.5kgm), so 86 / BRZ will be high octave specification.

http://carinfoj.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-983.html
same rumor... 2019... 1.5L turbo
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 02:01 PM   #91
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,486 Times in 5,001 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Actually, reading the interviews and such, Toyota consulted more internet posters and car club members than Scion employees in terms of the meaningful design of the vehicle.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
abraxis (12-13-2016), Tcoat (12-10-2016)
Old 12-10-2016, 02:04 PM   #92
synchromesh

Quote:

I agree with you on this one. I could very well be wrong on the notion at hand as well.

However, it would appear Toyota overall, lost, in creating the Scion nameplate. I possibly could see a Toyota executive board consciously admitting a loser's plight 15 years ago and in 2007/2008.

I wouldn't be surprised Toyota ethos is or for that matter, any automobile brand culture, to occasionally know loss is imminent. The spirit of it would be to help someone back up.
The Following User Says Thank You to synchromesh For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (12-10-2016)
Old 12-10-2016, 02:06 PM   #93
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Actually, reading the interviews and such, Toyota consulted more internet posters and car club members than Scion employees in terms of the meaningful design of the vehicle.
Yes!
Old 12-10-2016, 02:12 PM   #94
synchromesh

Quote:

As far as I know and read, Scion target consumers were to be internet posers and social media club members.

I wouldn't say some of the verbiage from these people is exactly worthless. They are just rumors.
Old 12-10-2016, 02:15 PM   #95
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,486 Times in 5,001 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
As far as I know and read, Scion target consumers were to be internet posers and social media club members.
What does that have to do with what I posted?

Scion was a marketing exercise, nothing more. There was no engineering, technical development, or manufacturing occurring under it's umbrella. They took Toyota products, put a different badge on it, and blew a couple million bucks on advertising campaigns.

Last edited by strat61caster; 12-10-2016 at 05:30 PM. Reason: Scion should be referred to in the past tense.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 02:16 PM   #96
synchromesh

Quote:
Yes!

Are you sure you aren't a robot? I read recently on the Globe and Mail, in China they have a robot or at least software to moderate censorship in cyberspace.
Old 12-10-2016, 02:20 PM   #97
Tcoat

Quote:
Are you sure you aren't a robot? I read recently on the Globe and Mail, in China they have a robot or at least software to moderate censorship in cyberspace.
Pretty sure. Can never be positive though.
Old 12-10-2016, 02:20 PM   #98
synchromesh

Quote:
What does that have to do with what I posted?

Scion is a marketing exercise, nothing more. There is no engineering, technical development, or manufacturing occurring under it's umbrella. They take Toyota products, put a different badge on it, and blow a couple million bucks on advertising campaigns.

Ok, you win. If you are still mad at me, I owe you 10 bucks. But I'm not paying anymore than that.

Tags
gt86, nextgen