follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 05-23-2014, 08:29 PM   #5601
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,417 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shif7i7down View Post
So the cels are gone? By themselves?

Anywho i don't know how to clear cels with oft. Torque can do it though
You can clear it with the OFT in the diagnostics menu IIRC. In or before the menu that asks for you to select either the real-time data display.
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DAEMANO For This Useful Post:
robwbright (05-23-2014)
Old 05-23-2014, 08:33 PM   #5602
Gums

Drives: SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by robwbright View Post
Second pic is my intake box. Is the foam supposed to be showing between it and the part that's in the bumper?

You can fix this by loosening all clamps from the air filter box to the throttle body, adjusting the filter box and re-tightening everything so it puts load on the foam section.

My install was getting frustrating, until I found this helpful hint posted earlier in this thread. Unfortunately cannot recall the poster to thank them.
Gums is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gums For This Useful Post:
robwbright (05-23-2014), Stormalong (05-23-2014), WRB5titch (05-23-2014)
Old 05-23-2014, 09:22 PM   #5603
robwbright

Drives: '13 BRZ Limited WRB Phantom ESC 1.5
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Thanks, guys. I didn't really want to tackle it by myself - I haven't really worked on car engines much other than oil changes, tire rotations, replacing window actuators, other minor stuff - I'm better working on dirt bikes. But when the ESC came today and my father in law wasn't available to assist... well, I just had to get it up and running.

The install probably took me a total of 3 hours of actual work time. Longer than some because I had to take a conference call and revise a contract right in the middle of installing the batteries and wiring. That's when I missed putting the brass/copper connector back on the main dump batteries... which caused me to have to redo about 20-30 minutes of work (I had already tightened down the battery pack and started hooking up wiring). If I hadn't missed that, I'd have probably been around 2-2.5 hours. Maybe I'm just slow. LOL.

Of course, then I ran into the CEL issue, which was apparently just a matter of hooking up that connector I had forgotten to connect. But it took more than an hour of driving it, turning it the car off, looking around the engine compartment, posting on here again... Anyway...

Now I've done a number of WOT runs. Frankly, it's night and day from stock. 3500 or even 3000 rpm has decent pickup, but from 4000 on it really takes off.

My most recent (relatively) fast car comparison is my brother in laws Genesis 6cyl MT. The ESC BRZ is not quite that quick, but it feels to me like it's getting close. Quite of bit of fun actually being pushed back in your seat by a 2.0l 4cyl.

I'll be interested to see if it gets even stronger in the next couple days as the batteries condition. It's enough right now that I'm quite pleased with the purchase.

Finally, for someone who didn't even initially know what he was looking at with the sound tube (i.e. a newbie when it comes to car mods and I hadn't really studied the install instructions before beginning), I'd say that the instructions could be a bit more detailed. In several of the pics it was hard to see exactly what was going where and all that. Even the part about "removing the lower console panels" had me hesitate for a minute - I hate breaking things and I was a bit concerned about just pulling away without any instruction about how to remove them. A simple addition to the instructions like, "It's easy - just pop the plastic rivets loose on the left, middle and right of each panel" would have helped. But that's just me. All that said, the instructions were detailed enough to figure out what was going on (especially with the live customer support from you guys on here).

Aside from those minor quibbles, the kit itself is VERY WELL DESIGNED. The cables and wires are all as long as they need to be to give you a little extra but not so long that you're trying to figure out where you're going to put the rest. The install of the ESC itself is very simple. It's putting the batteries all together and doing the wiring that takes awhile.

Great work, Rob! And thanks again, guys!
1997 Honda Accord Coupe
1995 Honda Prelude VTEC
robwbright is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to robwbright For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (05-23-2014), fenton (05-23-2014), Gums (05-23-2014)
Old 05-23-2014, 10:13 PM   #5604
WRB5titch

Drives: WRBrz
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
@DAEMANO and I were scratching our heads on how we got his to fit better than mine...mine looked exactly like the picture...

then I saw your advice, and had to go fix the fitment right away...even tho I just did 5+ wot pulls...hands are a little singed right now but it was worth it

Thank you so much for the tip @Gums!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gums View Post
You can fix this by loosening all clamps from the air filter box to the throttle body, adjusting the filter box and re-tightening everything so it puts load on the foam section.

My install was getting frustrating, until I found this helpful hint posted earlier in this thread. Unfortunately cannot recall the poster to thank them.
Gums (05-23-2014)
Old 05-23-2014, 10:28 PM   #5605
Gums

Drives: SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRB5titch View Post
@DAEMANO and I were scratching our heads on how we got his to fit better than mine...mine looked exactly like the picture...

then I saw your advice, and had to go fix the fitment right away...even tho I just did 5+ wot pulls...hands are a little singed right now but it was worth it

Thank you so much for the tip @Gums!!
I understand your addiction, singed is worth it!
Gums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 10:48 PM   #5606
nlowell

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Nice job guys. Post up some logs. Second gear 3k to redline then third gear same. Third will get you some speed so you might need to do that on a freeway
Old 05-23-2014, 10:51 PM   #5607
nlowell

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Also, before you start logging, on the OFT go to customize channels, turn off something you don't need, then go down all the way to the bottom and turn on boost logging.
Old 05-23-2014, 11:04 PM   #5608
robwbright

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlowell View Post
Also, before you start logging, on the OFT go to customize channels, turn off something you don't need, then go down all the way to the bottom and turn on boost logging.
I didn't even realize boost logging was an option. Thanks!
1997 Honda Accord Coupe
1995 Honda Prelude VTEC
Old 05-23-2014, 11:17 PM   #5609
robwbright

Second Log:

http://www.datazap.me/u/robwbright/e...2?log=0&data=1
1997 Honda Accord Coupe
1995 Honda Prelude VTEC
Old 05-23-2014, 11:56 PM   #5610
robwbright

Log 3 - you'll probably see a couple odd things in there - I'm still getting used to the extra power. I tried a couple fast launches and I over-clutched trying to avoid wheelspin.

http://www.datazap.me/u/robwbright/e...3?log=0&data=1
1997 Honda Accord Coupe
1995 Honda Prelude VTEC
Old 05-24-2014, 12:23 AM   #5611
Winjr

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonsey View Post
Thanks, very helpful. I will likely have right around 600w RMS, so it sounds like everything should work out.
My upgraded system is at 590 RMS and I've had no issues either.
Winjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 01:42 AM   #5612
Toma

Drives: Viper, Mustang, FD RX7, FFR GTM
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenton View Post
Things are great Toma. We have over 20 people running the system as of this week. Shiv has been instrumental in developing open source tunes for the ESC using both 91 and e85. The guys in the states are waiting on the release of the e85 map once shiv gets back from his honeymoon.

Current HP numbers are 206hp and 185tq for standard ESC on 91.

225hp 202tq with standard system running e85.

Shiv got 217hp on 92octane running a dual dump pack (twice the lead)

Most people are upgrading to a 1.5 dump pack conversion (50 percent more lead). This upgrade is letting us hold about half a pound of boost at redline and is giving the system about 10 more HP similar to the dual dump pack.

I will be installing a header and exhaust this weekend and am still running the tq300 with 1.5 dump conversion

How has your winter been?
Busy busy....

Progress sounds awesome, Open source? Guys using a Tactrix, or still the Tablet thing and TunerPro?
Toma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 03:23 AM   #5613
alexand3r
Custom User Title

Drives: Spaceship
So I received the correct battery today and the install went great. I'm on a 6AT and I am quite impressed with this system for the cost. In Sport Mode it holds boost (throttle down the whole time), shifts in the blink of an eye and just KEEPS PULLING through the gears... my batteries aren't even conditioned yet...

-----------
Story Time
-----------
I was out "conditioning the batteries" and a 350Z pulled up next to me. It was lowered, had exhaust and who knows what else. Anyway, I was by myself and he had someone in the car... but I pulled a full car length ahead of him on our way up to 70 (highway), which really surprised me.
alexand3r is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to alexand3r For This Useful Post:
raven1231 (05-24-2014)
Old 05-24-2014, 05:00 AM   #5614
raven1231

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S, 2016 DGM WRX
Thanked 3,118 Times in 1,667 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexand3r View Post
So I received the correct battery today and the install went great. I'm on a 6AT and I am quite impressed with this system for the cost. In Sport Mode it holds boost (throttle down the whole time), shifts in the blink of an eye and just KEEPS PULLING through the gears... my batteries aren't even conditioned yet...

-----------
Story Time
-----------
I was out "conditioning the batteries" and a 350Z pulled up next to me. It was lowered, had exhaust and who knows what else. Anyway, I was by myself and he had someone in the car... but I pulled a full car length ahead of him on our way up to 70 (highway), which really surprised me.
Exciting isn't it?
It changes the car, in a good way
Just think you got the battery break in and 1.5 conversion still as well
raven1231 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
26$ / wtq, affordable boost, better than turbo, brz electric supercharger, do want, dumbass freddy, electric shrimpage, electric supercharger, electronic supercharger, epic thread tag, fanboy circle jerk!, freddy keyboardwarrior, frs electric supercharger, get a real blower, haters gonna hate, hows the battery life?, lol, moar powa, nos with battery, one gear race champion, only pulls hard once, phantom charge, pm-robftss to order!, release date=not yet, release it already!, released!, rice, shut up and take our $$$, snake oil claims, street only, super pursuit mode, the price isn't known yet, tq300 plzkkthxbai, wooshy noise, yes turbo is better, yes turbo is expensive