follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

CANADA Canada

User Tag List

Old 04-23-2014, 12:09 PM   #43
congee

Drives: SSM BRZ
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazuya View Post
I was charged 70$ for eneos 0w20(one of the best stuff) an he included a sexy blue subaru oil filter. They do it on the spot and you can freely watch, I'm a month away from going back.
I just got my first oil change at igarage. They charged me $70 flat for motul and it came with a black subaru filter. My local subaru dealer wanted $65 before taxes(Scarboro subaru) but I decided to make the journey to igarage due to all the reviews. Pretty good experience but nothing crazy like a lot of reviews i've read. A little hyped tbh but better than most dealers that i've been to.

Did they start using black filters or do you think they forgot to change my oil filter?? I found it a bit odd that I was in and out within 15 minutes. The outside shell looks fairly new but I recently cleaned my engine bay so i'm not even sure. Anyone know how to check if an oil filter is old or not??
Old 04-23-2014, 12:13 PM   #44
1Cor10:23

Drives: '13 Whiteout FR-S (M/T)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by congee View Post
The outside shell looks fairly new but I recently cleaned my engine bay so i'm not even sure. Anyone know how to check if an oil filter is old or not??
I wouldn't worry about it...there's really no way to tell unless you mark it ahead of time. For future, take a key scratch up the top before taking it in for peace of mind.
1Cor10:23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 12:49 PM   #45
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
ENEOS has two types of 0W-20. Most shops around town can only get the normal 0W-20. I'm running Sustina 0W-20 that I bought off eBay, came out to be the exact same amount in total (including shipping and brokerage) if I were to pay BRZWorld cash w/ self pickup.

My word of advice is to always watch them work on the car there if you can.

Ivan's a really nice guy but I always have to be there to watch them because I want to make sure it's done right and I can answer any questions that they might have.

The black filter is the right one and it is physically larger than the blue one.

Case in point I wasn't there on my first ever visit to iGarage and they installed my rear right shock assembly backwards (I didn't know this until I went back 6 months later to swap in the STI control arms). Anyway he reinstalled my rear right shock assembly again for free.

If Chermo12 is reading this PM me if you like as I watched them for a bit when they installed your coils and made some interesting observations.
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to krayzie For This Useful Post:
congee (04-23-2014)
Old 04-23-2014, 01:40 PM   #46
Kazuya

Drives: Takumi
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
I just got my first oil change at igarage. They charged me $70 flat for motul and it came with a black subaru filter. My local subaru dealer wanted $65 before taxes(Scarboro subaru) but I decided to make the journey to igarage due to all the reviews. Pretty good experience but nothing crazy like a lot of reviews i've read. A little hyped tbh but better than most dealers that i've been to.

Did they start using black filters or do you think they forgot to change my oil filter?? I found it a bit odd that I was in and out within 15 minutes. The outside shell looks fairly new but I recently cleaned my engine bay so i'm not even sure. Anyone know how to check if an oil filter is old or not??
Sorry I should've corrected my original post, was cleaning my engine bay for spring last week, my oil filter is infact black. As other suggested, black is the right one.
Kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kazuya For This Useful Post:
congee (04-23-2014)
Old 04-23-2014, 01:57 PM   #47
congee

Quote:
Sorry I should've corrected my original post, was cleaning my engine bay for spring last week, my oil filter is infact black. As other suggested, black is the right one.
Upon further inspection. I'm pretty certain they changed my filter. I don't remember seeing so much wording around the filter when I was cleaning my engine bay last week and it looks fairly clean along the sides too. Either way, the car runs a lot smoother now.

In the future, I will probably change the oil myself. Seems fairly simple. Anyone know if after market filters are better than the oem ones??

Last edited by congee; 04-23-2014 at 03:15 PM.
congee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 03:20 PM   #48
krayzie
Drive From Home

So are you guys bringing the car back to the dealer for scheduled interval service? I'm afraid they will deny my warranty claims if I don't (yes don't throw the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act bible at me, I'm talking about real life situations).
Old 04-23-2014, 03:37 PM   #49
congee

Quote:
Originally Posted by krayzie View Post
So are you guys bringing the car back to the dealer for scheduled interval service? I'm afraid they will deny my warranty claims if I don't (yes don't throw the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act bible at me, I'm talking about real life situations).
I was told by my sales person and by subaru customer service that you MUST go to the dealership for the first 10,000km, 12 month(???) maintenance/tune up for warranty. If not, it will be voided. After that, you can go to any place to service as long as you have a record of all the maintenance done in detail. I think its written in the manual too.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:45 PM   #50
Kazuya

Drives: Takumi
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Man fuck warranty. I want to go in for bearing and control arms but fuck, even then I don't know how badly they will mess up my repairs.

Number one reason why I hate dealership. My brother who isn't license is smarter than there best.
Kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 03:49 PM   #51
krayzie
Drive From Home

Quote:
Man fuck warranty. I want to go in for bearing and control arms but fuck, even then I don't know how badly they will mess up my repairs.

Number one reason why I hate dealership. My brother who isn't license is smarter than there best.
Dam dude you could have let me know, I threw out all the old rear control arms cuz they were soooo dirty.

Wheel bearing sucks on Subarus I don't think they can mess that up repairing it. You should get that repaired asap before it takes out your brake once the bearing jams.

So wait congee the dealer says 6 months for first service. So I have to bring it in otherwise it'll be void? I didn't even get a warranty handbook from Subaru (I had to buy my own manuals from the States). Can somebody check how many months for first service?

The US warranty and maintenence booklet reads first service is 7500km/7.5 months.

Last edited by krayzie; 04-23-2014 at 04:00 PM.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:52 PM   #52
1Cor10:23

Drives: '13 Whiteout FR-S (M/T)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
I was told by my sales person and by subaru customer service that you MUST go to the dealership for the first 10,000km, 12 month(???) maintenance/tune up for warranty. If not, it will be voided. After that, you can go to any place to service as long as you have a record of all the maintenance done in detail. I think its written in the manual too.
first time I'm hearing about this - does Toyota/Scion have the same policy?
1Cor10:23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 04:24 PM   #53
congee

Quote:
Originally Posted by krayzie View Post
Dam dude you could have let me know, I threw out all the old rear control arms cuz they were soooo dirty.

Wheel bearing sucks on Subarus I don't think they can mess that up repairing it. You should get that repaired asap before it takes out your brake once the bearing jams.

So wait congee the dealer says 6 months for first service. So I have to bring it in otherwise it'll be void? I didn't even get a warranty handbook from Subaru (I had to buy my own manuals from the States). Can somebody check how many months for first service?

The US warranty and maintenence booklet reads first service is 7500km/7.5 months.
Online it says 10km or 6 months but my sales man kept telling me it was 10km or 10(or 12) months and if I miss it, they will deny further warranty.... I'm trying to contact Subaru customer service to see which one it is because the one online that I found off their website is for 2012.. Unfortunately these guys are non existent.... I also never got a warranty manual.

And you might wanna double check with Toyota. I doubt it since Toyota is less anal compared to subaru but you never know.
Old 04-23-2014, 04:37 PM   #54
Myv

Drives: SWP BRZ Limited MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
lol... are you serious, dealer didn't mention this to me. Was hoping to bring in for chirping sometime this summer. This kind of situation shouldn't be a 'don't ask, don't tell' thing.
Myv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 04:42 PM   #55
mabviper

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I had the same concerns with warranty and oil changes. I called Subaru Canada directly and had a chat with the representative. She told me that as long as you document it and do the oil changes based on the service manual, you are covered. I also called Subaru of Brampton and asked the same thing. The tech guy there said that same thing. It's covered as long as you follow the service manual.

Now my own dealership told me time and time again that you have to do the oil changes with them or the warranty will be denied. I personally don't trust him so he's not getting my money.

Anyways, I've done 2 oil changes myself. All of my oil was bought from the dealer. I always keep the receipts just in case as well. I update the service booklet. I also photography my oil changes including the mileage of the car, used oil and new oil.
mabviper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mabviper For This Useful Post:
daiheadjai (05-15-2014)
Old 04-23-2014, 04:43 PM   #56
krayzie
Drive From Home

Quote:
Online it says 10km or 6 months but my sales man kept telling me it was 10km or 10(or 12) months and if I miss it, they will deny further warranty.... I'm trying to contact Subaru customer service to see which one it is because the one online that I found off their website is for 2012.. Unfortunately these guys are non existent.... I also never got a warranty manual.

And you might wanna double check with Toyota. I doubt it since Toyota is less anal compared to subaru but you never know.
Okay please keep us posted thanks!

Lucky at least you got proper manuals lol!