follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 07-29-2013, 04:14 AM   #43
uEih

Drives: CBS Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
That's weird because under the paper contract it says "Windshield Replacement" on mine. I don't consider a replacement the same as repair so unless yours says repair I would think that's wrong for them to false advertise like that.
uEih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 05:25 PM   #44
wlwarfield
VTECLOL

Drives: 2011 STi & 2013 F150 SVT Raptor
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Well the inevitable happened to my BRZ. 5-8" crack in the shape of a "J" in the middle of the windshield after 5 months and 5000 miles

2011 Subaru Impreza WRX STi sedan
2013 Ford F-150 SVT Raptor
wlwarfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 06:17 PM   #45
poundsand

Drives: na
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by industrial View Post
That's how the guy that replaced my window explained it to me. Seems like I may be wrong here. I wonder why there is such a large disparity between windshield replacements from the same company?
http://www.safelite.com/auto-glass-r...s-faqs/#c44643

No, all locations are company-owned and all technicians are company-managed.
poundsand is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to poundsand For This Useful Post:
mikalem (01-11-2014)
Old 01-10-2014, 01:34 PM   #46
PollosHermanos

Drives: 2014 SWP BRZ Limited 6SP
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Here in Massachusetts most insurance companies cover that with a $0 deductible. I;ve never paid for auto glass repairs - just took it for granted I suppose
1990 Laser RS - Lights go up, lights go down ||1992 MX-6 Coupe - Hah ... no || 2001 Integra GSR - Almost rice. Risotto || 2003 IS300 - A nice car but no fun. || 2011 Stage I GTI - Lots of fun. Would buy another

2014 BRZ - That BRZ. So hot right now.

Last edited by PollosHermanos; 01-10-2014 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Words are hard.
PollosHermanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 01:39 PM   #47
wlwarfield
VTECLOL

Garage
I got a quote from 2 companies. If I pay out of pocket it's $370. If I file a comprehensive claim and pay my deductible it'll cost me $100. I think I'm going to go that route as I have never had an insurance claim (my fault) in the last 10 years. So I don't think it'll raise my premiums.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:04 PM   #48
SirBrass
Trust me, I'm the Doctor

Drives: 2019 WRX Limited (WRB)
Thanked 1,251 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlwarfield View Post
I got a quote from 2 companies. If I pay out of pocket it's $370. If I file a comprehensive claim and pay my deductible it'll cost me $100. I think I'm going to go that route as I have never had an insurance claim (my fault) in the last 10 years. So I don't think it'll raise my premiums.
It shouldn't unless it was b/c you were at fault in a collision that resulted in the windshield needing to be replaced. Road damage is an incidental, and covered under that part of your policy (or your glass policy if you have one on your insurance... which you SHOULD since it's not expensive to add to your policy).

^GT5 Replay Photo Mode^
SirBrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 03:07 PM   #49
chrisl

Drives: 2006 Cayman S, 2007 Outback 2.5i
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joobacca View Post
I'm fairly certain Geico insurance comes with non-deductable glass replacement. Had to replace the windshield on my Passat a few years ago in NY and I don't think it cost me a dime. I believe states like Massachusetts require glass insurance.
Not unless that's a state-specific thing. For me (Geico), glass is covered under the comp deductible if it needs replacement, but they will do free glass repairs if you catch the chip before it spreads (zero deductible).
chrisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 04:28 PM   #50
wlwarfield
VTECLOL

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBrass View Post
It shouldn't unless it was b/c you were at fault in a collision that resulted in the windshield needing to be replaced. Road damage is an incidental, and covered under that part of your policy (or your glass policy if you have one on your insurance... which you SHOULD since it's not expensive to add to your policy).
$0 deductible glass replacement is a state by state thing. I called Geico (my insurance) to find out if it's $0 deductible in New Mexico, however, it is not. I would have to file a glass claim and that falls under my $100 Comprehensive deductible to replace the windshield. The crack isn't terrible and it's in no way, shape or form obstructing my view so I might wait a few months until Spring to replace the windshield.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:40 AM   #51
mikalem

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by poundsand View Post
http://www.safelite.com/auto-glass-r...s-faqs/#c44643

No, all locations are company-owned and all technicians are company-managed.
Also wanted to note based on another post in here - Safelite uses a mix of OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) and OEE (Original Equipment Equivalent) glass - you can request OEM glass - but they are for the purposes of safely around the same. For our cars we have to go directly to Subaru for the part, since no OEE exists.

In other cases (a Ford F-150 for instance) we have several companies that make the glass that we buy from - and actually, based on the model year we've seen the OEM provider change for Ford for what is the same part! (Pilkington vs. PPG I believe were the companies involved in the example I know about) Companies like Pillkington/PPG will make two versions of part - and literally the only difference is the company logo etched on the glass. You can only get the logo based version through the dealership network, but Pilkington/PPG (and others) will sell the non-logo based product wholesale to companies like Safelite and collision repair centers.

Also - we run both retail and wholesale networks nationwide - so sometimes we aren't the cheapest, but it's very possible the actual glass being used in the car came from our distribution network - the difference in cost comes down to the tech installing it and the training they've received.

Disclaimer - I work for Safelite out of the corporate office in Columbus, OH in IT
mikalem is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mikalem For This Useful Post:
SirBrass (01-12-2014)
Old 05-02-2014, 05:58 PM   #52
username_taken

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
I just had my windshield replace and it looks to be an aftermarket window.

There's no moulding around the outside edges of the window, and I can clearly see the layers in the glass when looking at it from beside the glass. I can't remember if there was moulding on the outside previously, but I'm sure I couldn't see the layers so obviously.
username_taken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 07:08 PM   #53
yaser.salameh

Drives: Argento FR-S 2013
Garage
i paid $340 for mine last year
yaser.salameh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 10:33 PM   #54
qqzj

Drives: MDX, Camry
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
If OEM glasses are so fragile, why insisting on OEM at all? Aftermarket glasses could be worse, but they could be better as well.

I got a big rock hit two days ago and was scared as hell. Luckily it came out okay. I guess the weak spot is in the middle. It might be pretty strong else where.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikalem View Post
Also wanted to note based on another post in here - Safelite uses a mix of OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) and OEE (Original Equipment Equivalent) glass - you can request OEM glass - but they are for the purposes of safely around the same. For our cars we have to go directly to Subaru for the part, since no OEE exists.

In other cases (a Ford F-150 for instance) we have several companies that make the glass that we buy from - and actually, based on the model year we've seen the OEM provider change for Ford for what is the same part! (Pilkington vs. PPG I believe were the companies involved in the example I know about) Companies like Pillkington/PPG will make two versions of part - and literally the only difference is the company logo etched on the glass. You can only get the logo based version through the dealership network, but Pilkington/PPG (and others) will sell the non-logo based product wholesale to companies like Safelite and collision repair centers.

Also - we run both retail and wholesale networks nationwide - so sometimes we aren't the cheapest, but it's very possible the actual glass being used in the car came from our distribution network - the difference in cost comes down to the tech installing it and the training they've received.

Disclaimer - I work for Safelite out of the corporate office in Columbus, OH in IT
qqzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 11:27 PM   #55
ikeryder13

Drives: 2013 GBS BRZ
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
380 is how much I paid...
ikeryder13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 01:21 PM   #56
mikalem

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by qqzj View Post
If OEM glasses are so fragile, why insisting on OEM at all? Aftermarket glasses could be worse, but they could be better as well.

I got a big rock hit two days ago and was scared as hell. Luckily it came out okay. I guess the weak spot is in the middle. It might be pretty strong else where.
Unfortunately I don't have experience with the OEE version of our windshield - when I originally posted all of that a OEE version didn't exist as far as I knew (we didn't have it listed in our system). I looked again today and there is now a record of both OEM and OEE parts listed in our system so they are out there.

Personally, I'd always use/request the OEM part just because I'm a bit anal like that - the reason so many people have problems I believe has more to do with the rake of the glass and the height of the car, more than the relative "strength" of the glass. If I did get a chip however and didn't want to replace the whole thing right away I'd definitely look into a repair - the resins are designed to repair the bonds in the glass, saving the strength. Without it, if you live in a place with temperature swings you will likely see spidering and a full crack will likely develop.

For reference if anyone cares to look them up, here are the NAGS part numbers for the various pieces of glass on the car (glass shops should be able to lookup by these numbers) - these apply to the 2013 model BRZ/FR-S specifically, but I doubt they changed with the 2014s.

Part - Description
Windshield (GG and GT are color codes for the tint)
FW03591 GGN Solar W/Third Visor Frit
FW03591 GTN Solar W/Third Visor Frit

Vent
FV25583 GTN Solar RIGHT FRONT
FV25584 GTN Solar LEFT FRONT

Door
FD25585 GTN Solar RIGHT FRONT
FD25586 GTN Solar LEFT FRONT

Quarter (rear)
FQ25587 GTY Solar RIGHT ENCAP
FQ25588 GTY Solar LEFT ENCAP

Back