follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 11-01-2015, 03:26 PM   #435
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Drives: Limited Red 6MT BRZ
Thanked 1,167 Times in 644 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TM View Post
For those with the odyssey battery, what are these screws for? Are they for the top of the SAE posts? If so, what's the purpose of them?

Also, when it says to torque down the top caps, does it mean the hex screws that are part of the SAE posts or the ones I circled in the picture?

I didn't have posts on my battery. But it looks like the screws are for the posts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
Sojhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 03:50 PM   #436
KoolBRZ

Drives: Silver 2013 BRZ Ltd Auto 45,000 mi
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Garage
You will need both of the screws

Quote:
For those with the odyssey battery, what are these screws for? Are they for the top of the SAE posts? If so, what's the purpose of them?

Also, when it says to torque down the top caps, does it mean the hex screws that are part of the SAE posts or the ones I circled in the picture?
You will need at least one of the screws for the negative cable. It wraps around to the left to provide another post for the car's negative clamp. the positive terminal may or may not require the bolt to hold down the various connectors. Bottom line, the connectors have to reach, and they have to stay tight.
TM (11-01-2015)
Old 11-01-2015, 06:22 PM   #437
TM

Drives: DGM BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
I used the smaller screwsthat came with the odyssey for the negative. I feel like I don't need the bigger screw that came with the SAE post to go on top of the positive since I don't need to screw on an eyelet connector to it?Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446420168.286972.jpg
Views: 1003
Size:  370.9 KB

Old 11-01-2015, 06:24 PM   #438
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Drives: Limited Red 6MT BRZ
Thanked 1,167 Times in 644 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quote:
I used the smaller screwsthat came with the odyssey for the negative. I feel like I don't need the bigger screw that came with the SAE post to go on top of the positive since I don't need to screw on an eyelet connector to it?Attachment 124126

Looks good

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
Sojhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sojhinn For This Useful Post:
TM (11-01-2015)
Old 11-01-2015, 07:06 PM   #439
TM

Garage
I ended up putting the top screw on anyway since it looked kind of bare without it. Finally retired the powersonic!

Old 11-06-2015, 08:38 PM   #440
KoolBRZ

Garage
New tweaks for ESC tunes

This week I've been working on a tweak @steve99 passed on, the Tip-In enrichment tweak. I tried it his way and it shifted much smoother, but had a bit less power, so I figured it wasn't right for the ESC and I could do better. Well, several tries later I can show you how to do it worse in many ways, and 2 ways to do it better. Once I had the Tip-In figured out, I started working on Port Injection to try and get better cruising mileage, my theory being that Port injection gives worse mileage. It's easy to tune for more power, or more mileage, but tricky to tune for both. Here are some pics of my changes compared to the same tables in an OTS ESC tune. The Cold Port Injection map is unchanged, while the Warm and Hot maps are changed the same way. When I have time I'll start adding these to the other tunes I have made, and make them available.
Attached Images

keen as (11-08-2015)
Old 11-06-2015, 10:17 PM   #441
KoolBRZ

Garage
OK, I made the time because I think this tune rocks

Here are the same Ultimate tunes as before, but now they have the Tip-In and Port Injection tweaks. I think the Port Injection tweak has stopped the tune from leaning out between 2000 - 3000 rpms, but I haven't logged it yet to find out. The AT tunes are in the 91 AVCS Tip-In Port Inj ATs zipped folder, and the MTs are in the 91 AVCS Tip-In Port Inj MTs zipped folder. You will need to unzip them before you load one. They are all 91 Octane so they should work with any fuel, no matter how crappy. I got a 29.8 MPG average today, and I started the day at 27.6. I wasn't trying to economize either, I stomped it to get around a slow Prius on the on-ramp and had to hang on. It was up to 80 so quickly! This will get over 30 MPG on the highway and even as a combined city/highway average, but who would want to? For those AT drivers out there, just put it into D and go. It's responsive enough that it's even fun to drive in D, (Automatic shifting mode). It takes a little getting used to, but you can pick how many gears it downshifts by how hard and fast you tap the throttle.

Last edited by KoolBRZ; 01-03-2016 at 05:57 PM.
KoolBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KoolBRZ For This Useful Post:
Gums (11-07-2015), keen as (11-08-2015)
Old 11-08-2015, 01:53 AM   #442
PantsDants

Drives: Scion FR-S A/T, Whiteout
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Friendly PSA for Procede users: Vampire taps are garbage! Solder or crimp your connections at the ECU harness if at all possible. Just spent most of the day today replacing those taps because my Procede decided it would be cool to go full throttle after a bump on the freeway.
PantsDants is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PantsDants For This Useful Post:
raven1231 (11-24-2015)
Old 11-08-2015, 02:45 AM   #443
TM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PantsDants View Post
Friendly PSA for Procede users: Vampire taps are garbage! Solder or crimp your connections at the ECU harness if at all possible. Just spent most of the day today replacing those taps because my Procede decided it would be cool to go full throttle after a bump on the freeway.

Doesn't the procede get its input from throttle position and rpm? Don't see how it would go full throttle unless you close the circuit from the previous WOT switch wire.

Old 11-08-2015, 05:53 AM   #444
PantsDants

Drives: Scion FR-S A/T, Whiteout
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Doesn't the procede get its input from throttle position and rpm? Don't see how it would go full throttle unless you close the circuit from the previous WOT switch wire.

I'm not sure exactly how the Procede interprets the voltage from its inputs. What I do know is when I hooked up my laptop and jiggled the tapped wires as my first troubleshooting step, the throttle input jumped around all over the place and I actually heard the engine throttle blade engaging (key on, engine off). Took that tap apart and the ECU harness wire broke. Would've been real shitty if that had broken completely out on the road.
PantsDants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 07:40 PM   #445
burrowsc
Banned

Drives: 14' Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolBRZ View Post
Here are the same Ultimate tunes as before, but now they have the Tip-In and Port Injection tweaks. I think the Port Injection tweak has stopped the tune from leaning out between 2000 - 3000 rpms, but I haven't logged it yet to find out. The AT tunes are in the 91 AVCS Tip-In Port Inj ATs zipped folder, and the MTs are in the 91 AVCS Tip-In Port Inj MTs zipped folder. You will need to unzip them before you load one. They are all 91 Octane so they should work with any fuel, no matter how crappy. I got a 29.8 MPG average today, and I started the day at 27.6. I wasn't trying to economize either, I stomped it to get around a slow Prius on the on-ramp and had to hang on. It was up to 80 so quickly! This will get over 30 MPG on the highway and even as a combined city/highway average, but who would want to? For those AT drivers out there, just put it into D and go. It's responsive enough that it's even fun to drive in D, (Automatic shifting mode). It takes a little getting used to, but you can pick how many gears it downshifts by how hard and fast you tap the throttle.

You make it sound like it should only be used while driving in D and not in the manual transmission mode. Is this true or am I just reading this wrong?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
burrowsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 01:11 PM   #446
KoolBRZ

Garage
New tunes will be coming out soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by burrowsc View Post
You make it sound like it should only be used while driving in D and not in the manual transmission mode. Is this true or am I just reading this wrong?

AT's are a whole other driving experience. The trans controller hasn't been cracked yet, so we AT owners have to tune to the trans wishes. It shifts when it wants to. A common issue is bogging after each shift, since they are geared much higher and have no way to slip the clutch to gain more power. Another common issue is rubber-band shifts in manual mode. I've recently learned this is caused by the ecu's delayed reaction to the change in rpm's. It is completely solved by using the correct ratio of port injection to direct injection. I'll be coming out with a whole new set of tunes that are way better for AT's then the ultimate tunes. I'm just finding the limits of adjustment now and fine-tuning for AT and MT's, since the tuning isn't the same for both any more.
Shinobu's Smile (11-25-2015)
Old 11-24-2015, 01:48 PM   #447
burrowsc
Banned

Drives: 14' Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolBRZ View Post
AT's are a whole other driving experience. The trans controller hasn't been cracked yet, so we AT owners have to tune to the trans wishes. It shifts when it wants to. A common issue is bogging after each shift, since they are geared much higher and have no way to slip the clutch to gain more power. Another common issue is rubber-band shifts in manual mode. I've recently learned this is caused by the ecu's delayed reaction to the change in rpm's. It is completely solved by using the correct ratio of port injection to direct injection. I'll be coming out with a whole new set of tunes that are way better for AT's then the ultimate tunes. I'm just finding the limits of adjustment now and fine-tuning for AT and MT's, since the tuning isn't the same for both any more.
Ok because I'm extremely interested in this kit but I drive in Manual mode 99% of the time, and I don't think I could give that up even for the 25whp and the torque increase.

burrowsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 02:12 PM   #448
KoolBRZ

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by burrowsc View Post
Ok because I'm extremely interested in this kit but I drive in Manual mode 99% of the time, and I don't think I could give that up even for the 25whp and the torque increase.

I used to do that too. It was the only way to keep from being annoyed at the lack of power. Now I drive in manual mode anytime there isn't any traffic, and auto mode in congestion. What's your CAL ID? I'll post you a preview of the new tune. You'll be surprised how much more fun auto mode can be.