follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 12-23-2018, 03:14 AM   #29
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
a few towels

A towel is just about the most massively useful thing any of the interstellar hitchhiker can carry. Partly because it has great practical value. You can wrap it around you for warmth as you bound across the cold moons of Jaglan Beta; you can lie on it on the brilliant marble-sanded beaches of Santraginus V, inhaling the heady sea vapours; you can sleep under it beneath the stars which shine so redly on the desert world of Kakrafoon; use it to sail a miniraft down the slow heavy River Moth; wet it for use in hand-to-hand combat; wrap it around your head to ward off noxious fumes or avoid the gaze of the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal (a mind-bogglingly stupid animal, it assumes that if you can't see it, it can't see you — daft as a brush, but very very ravenous); you can wave your towel in emergencies as a distress signal, and of course you can dry yourself off with it if it still seems to be clean enough.

More importantly, a towel has immense psychological value. For some reason, if a strag discovers that a hitchhiker has his towel with him, he will automatically assume that he is also in possession of a toothbrush, washcloth, soap, tin of biscuits, flask, compass, map, ball of string, gnat spray, wet-weather gear, space suit etc., etc. Furthermore, the strag will then happily lend the hitchhiker any of these or a dozen other items that the hitchhiker might accidentally have "lost." What the strag will think is that any man who can hitch the length and breadth of the Galaxy, rough it, slum it, struggle against terrible odds, win through and still knows where his towel is, is clearly a man to be reckoned with.

Hence a phrase which has passed into hitch hiking slang, as in "Hey, you sass that hoopy Ford Prefect? There's a frood who really knows where his towel is."
86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 86MLR For This Useful Post:
humfrz (12-23-2018), Hypnocracy (12-24-2018), mrderp (12-26-2018), soundman98 (12-24-2018), Spuds (12-26-2018)
Old 12-23-2018, 04:11 AM   #30
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,979 Times in 16,481 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post

But our cars don't really have a giant trunk. If you're shopping for five, I would think you would pretty quickly fill up all the trunk floor space so that the groceries would simply pack themselves into a secure position.
Yep, fer sure, fer sure. Not only do the groceries fill the floor of the trunk, they stack to the ceiling of the trunk.

Paper products require a separate run, to Costco..

Even at that, with a bale of pampers, a bale of toilet paper, a bale of paper towels, a bale of Kleenex and a large box of ass wipes, completely fills the trunk and the front seat of my FR-S.

UGH!

(but, I love all four of them - )

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 04:20 AM   #31
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86MLR View Post
A towel is just about the most massively useful thing any of the interstellar hitchhiker can carry. Partly because it has great practical value. You can wrap it around you for warmth as you bound across the cold moons of Jaglan Beta; you can lie on it on the brilliant marble-sanded beaches of Santraginus V, inhaling the heady sea vapours; you can sleep under it beneath the stars which shine so redly on the desert world of Kakrafoon; use it to sail a miniraft down the slow heavy River Moth; wet it for use in hand-to-hand combat; wrap it around your head to ward off noxious fumes or avoid the gaze of the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal (a mind-bogglingly stupid animal, it assumes that if you can't see it, it can't see you — daft as a brush, but very very ravenous); you can wave your towel in emergencies as a distress signal, and of course you can dry yourself off with it if it still seems to be clean enough.

More importantly, a towel has immense psychological value. For some reason, if a strag discovers that a hitchhiker has his towel with him, he will automatically assume that he is also in possession of a toothbrush, washcloth, soap, tin of biscuits, flask, compass, map, ball of string, gnat spray, wet-weather gear, space suit etc., etc. Furthermore, the strag will then happily lend the hitchhiker any of these or a dozen other items that the hitchhiker might accidentally have "lost." What the strag will think is that any man who can hitch the length and breadth of the Galaxy, rough it, slum it, struggle against terrible odds, win through and still knows where his towel is, is clearly a man to be reckoned with.

Hence a phrase which has passed into hitch hiking slang, as in "Hey, you sass that hoopy Ford Prefect? There's a frood who really knows where his towel is."
YIKES! What a post!

Is marijuana now legal in Australia ??

humfrz
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
gravitylover (12-23-2018)
Old 12-23-2018, 06:03 AM   #32
86MLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
YIKES! What a post!

humfrz
Your not picking up what I'm putting down.

Surely you've read Douglas Adams??
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 86MLR For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (12-23-2018), winstonscifi (12-23-2018)
Old 12-23-2018, 11:16 AM   #33
Face_Plant

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impureclient View Post
What about a extendable bar thingamabob like this:https://www.homedepot.com/p/Cargo-Bo...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

That looks like it would work really well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by radroach View Post
I used to use two bungee cords from the rear child seat locks running behind into the trunk, crossing over and connected to the roof of the trunk. Its usefulness was so-so.

Best I've done was pack the trunk with pillows from my couch when I transport a 3-ton jack and tools.
I didn't consider using those for bungee cord hooks. I'll give them a shot
Quote:
YIKES! What a post!

humfrz
Cannabis will be legal here soon
Face_Plant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Face_Plant For This Useful Post:
humfrz (12-23-2018)
Old 12-23-2018, 11:28 AM   #34
gravitylover

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Google trunk organizers. Lots of them fit in very nicely and tend not to slide much, if at all, and even if they do your stuff won't be scattered. I use one now and it's pretty great.
Old 12-23-2018, 11:44 AM   #35
humfrz

Quote:
Your not picking up what I'm putting down.

Surely you've read Douglas Adams??
Sorry, I sure didn't pick up on that -

No, I haven't read any of Douglas Adams writings -

I am not well read -

Here is a bit published by Wiki (for some of the others):

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy was a concept for a science-fiction comedy radio series pitched by Adams and radio producer Simon Brett to BBC Radio 4 in 1977. Adams came up with an outline for a pilot episode, as well as a few other stories (reprinted in Neil Gaiman's book Don't Panic: The Official Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Companion) that could be used in the series.

Towel Day 2005 in Innsbruck, Austria, where Adams first had the idea of The Hitchhiker's Guide. In the novels a towel is the most useful thing a space traveller can have. The annual Towel Day (25 May) was first celebrated in 2001, two weeks after Adams's death.

According to Adams, the idea for the title occurred to him while he lay drunk in a field in Innsbruck, Austria, gazing at the stars. He was carrying a copy of the Hitch-hiker's Guide to Europe, and it occurred to him that "somebody ought to write a Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy". He later said that the constant repetition of this anecdote had obliterated his memory of the actual event.[19]"

OK, so it was Adams and the mind alternating drug was alcohol -

Now, I feel ignorant - must be time for another pain pill -

humfrz
Old 12-23-2018, 11:55 AM   #36
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quote:
No, I haven't read any of Douglas Adams writings -
You haven't missed anything. It's basically science fiction for children. Most people either haven't read it or grow out of it by the end of high school, although the zealots assume everyone else has read it and is as in awe of it as they are.

When someone starts quoting it, you have to quickly think up an excuse to slip away. Otherwise you'll fall victim to an incomprehensible discourse on the Hitchhiker's universe. The books themselves are not incomprehensible, but the breathless extolment of their virtues and baffling attempts to explain the jokes lead many to want to punch a kitten.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
gravitylover (12-24-2018), humfrz (12-23-2018)
Old 12-23-2018, 12:03 PM   #37
humfrz

Quote:
You haven't missed anything. It's basically science fiction for children. Most people either haven't read it or grow out of it by the end of high school, although the zealots assume everyone else has read it and is as in awe of it as they are.

When someone starts quoting it, you have to quickly think up an excuse to slip away. Otherwise you'll fall victim to an incomprehensible discourse on the Hitchhiker's universe. The books themselves are not incomprehensible, but the breathless extolment of their virtues and baffling attempts to explain the jokes lead many to want to punch a kitten.
Ahhh haaaa.

Thanks for your thoughts, now I don't feel so bad -

humfrz
Old 12-23-2018, 12:34 PM   #38
Dake

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I bought these years ago. I just tapped a couple holes into the underside of the package shelf and screwed them in.

They work great for grocery bags and the like.

That being said, if you're using a milk crate or something, you could just hook the bungie cord into the existing "lightness holes" in the underside of the package shelf.
Dake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dake For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (12-23-2018)
Old 12-23-2018, 03:34 PM   #39
86MLR

Quote:

You must be the fun one at parties.
The Following User Says Thank You to 86MLR For This Useful Post:
Dake (12-24-2018)
Old 12-24-2018, 08:01 AM   #40
gravitylover

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
^^ hahaha

Quote:

I like that analogy, gonna have to use it. My wife and kids like the kicking a puppy one
Old 12-24-2018, 01:40 PM   #41
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quote:
You must be the fun one at parties.
Certainly more fun than the guy who won't shut up about his towel and the number 42.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 04:59 PM   #42
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Certainly more fun than the guy who won't shut up about his towel and the number 42.
Goodbye and thanks for all the fish.
86MLR (12-24-2018), extrashaky (12-25-2018), soundman98 (12-24-2018), Spuds (12-26-2018)