follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 12-19-2014, 09:25 AM   #29
Jimmy817

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
- front camber bolts
- UEL header + tune (to eliminate torque dip)
- liquid-to-liquid oil cooler (similar to OEM forester XT setup)
Does an unequal length header do a better job of this than the equal?

I've had my fr-s for about two weeks so I'm still sorting out the differences. The higher-end headers seem to be equal length. Which would you recommend to someone with an OFT on the way?
Jimmy817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 09:32 AM   #30
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy817 View Post
Awesome. Exact ideas I was looking for. Is there a single kit containing all these upgraded bushings or did you piece it together? Best source?
I pieced it together. As for source, I tend to support those vendors that support our community. RCE, CSG, FT86speedfactory, Drift-Office, and many more I'm sure.

All of my bushing on this car are Whiteline. I highly recommend them. That said AVO has some great reviews and also shows a lot of support to our community. I think Energy Suspension, and Powerflex also sell bushings for our car. Generally, a good rule of thumb is that if RCE and/or CSG are willing to list the part, it's worth buying. FT86Speedfactory seems a little more liberal in this regard, though.

Just my .02, your mileage may vary.
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calum For This Useful Post:
twag4 (12-19-2014)
Old 12-19-2014, 09:33 AM   #31
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Neither one of you understand the topic and for your inability to comprehend context clues, I'm sorry. Maybe ask your mommy for another lesson.

The topic was OBVIOUSLY geared towards people with similar sentiments as my own who would like to discuss and share.

If you started a thread titled: "I like red. Who else likes red and what do you like about it?", I would not then reply with: "No, I don't like red. No one should like red. I like blue."

This is what you're doing.

It's off-topic, out of context and just plain a hindrance to the prospective conversation.

Please move on.
I totally understand the topic and was quite prepared to give some suggestions up until the point you turned into a major prick to somebody that had, what seemed to be, a reasonable comment.
The very title of your thread means you will have responses that say stock is fine and if not the info you are looking for there is no need to get rude and go on the attack.
My car is not stock and has several mods planned but that does not mean that I need to belittle those that don't.

Oh, and at least I had a mother that taught me manners!
I am outta here.
GT86_PRAGUE (12-19-2014), Jimmy817 (12-19-2014), Koa (12-19-2014)
Old 12-19-2014, 09:33 AM   #32
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Does an unequal length header do a better job of this than the equal?

I've had my fr-s for about two weeks so I'm still sorting out the differences. The higher-end headers seem to be equal length. Which would you recommend to someone with an OFT on the way?
Yes the general consensus is that UEL headers do a better job of eliminating the torque dip than EL headers. Here is a dyno comparison (same dyno and tuner) of Tomei's UEL vs. EL header, for example:

And another dyno comparison of UEL vs. EL. Again same dyno and tuner (this time Shiv), but on e85:

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
Abyssul (12-19-2014), Jimmy817 (12-19-2014)
Old 12-19-2014, 09:45 AM   #33
twag4

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Cat back exhaust, then no need for stupid sound generator. MTEC shift springs, whiteline rear subframe bushing inserts, wheels and tires look so much better when wider with a little more "poke", and improve cornering (yet reduce oversteer which isn't neccessarily a good thing), 1" lower to close the wheel to fender gap, although problematic when crossing deep gutters in driveway entrances and the like. I'm pretty sure I will add forced induction to this list, just don't have or wish to spend that much money on something that could result in a costly non warranty covered incident. Maybe after warranty is up. I have a few other inexpensive mods, but nothing earth shaking. I have a 10 series and I love love the HID headlights. I modded for the led daytime lights that are in the headlight housing to be on at a lower intensity when the headlights are on, and that looks super. All frs models should have come with these headlights as toyota installed them in their gt86 everywhere else but North America. Then do the drl mod I just mentioned. Just a few. OP, I get what you are asking, what makes this car better to the individual, what would the individual like to have seen as OEM on this car. Not what would best appease the masses. I get it
twag4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 09:45 AM   #34
Jimmy817

Quote:
Yes the general consensus is that UEL headers do a better job of eliminating the torque dip than EL headers. Here is a dyno comparison (same dyno and tuner) of Tomei's UEL vs. EL header, for example:

And another dyno comparison of UEL vs. EL. Again same dyno and tuner (this time Shiv), but on e85:

You're the man. Appreciate the patience.
Old 12-19-2014, 09:50 AM   #35
Jimmy817

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
I pieced it together. As for source, I tend to support those vendors that support our community. RCE, CSG, FT86speedfactory, Drift-Office, and many more I'm sure.

All of my bushing on this car are Whiteline. I highly recommend them. That said AVO has some great reviews and also shows a lot of support to our community. I think Energy Suspension, and Powerflex also sell bushings for our car. Generally, a good rule of thumb is that if RCE and/or CSG are willing to list the part, it's worth buying. FT86Speedfactory seems a little more liberal in this regard, though.

Just my .02, your mileage may vary.
I like rules of thumb. Time for a bushing bonanza.
Old 12-19-2014, 09:52 AM   #36
hmong337
Emperor JDM

Drives: '91 MR2 Gen3 3SGTE, '13 FRS
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Some sort of variable valve lift with a 8200 rpm redline.
Old 12-19-2014, 09:56 AM   #37
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quote:
You're the man. Appreciate the patience.
No problem. Just remember that's just the general rule. There are certain EL headers that seem to do a good job eliminating the dip. P&L and JDL catted are two off the top of my head.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 10:09 AM   #38
Jimmy817

Quote:
No problem. Just remember that's just the general rule. There are certain EL headers that seem to do a good job eliminating the dip. P&L and JDL catted are two off the top of my head.
The Tomei UEL seems to be a great option based on that.

Any reason to go with another header?
Old 12-19-2014, 10:09 AM   #39
Koa
Sweeper

Drives: '02 RA Bugeye | '15 FRS
Thanked 1,488 Times in 788 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Neither one of you understand the topic and for your inability to comprehend context clues, I'm sorry. Maybe ask your mommy for another lesson.

The topic was OBVIOUSLY geared towards people with similar sentiments as my own who would like to discuss and share.

If you started a thread titled: "I like red. Who else likes red and what do you like about it?", I would not then reply with: "No, I don't like red. No one should like red. I like blue."

This is what you're doing.

It's off-topic, out of context and just plain a hindrance to the prospective conversation.

Please move on.
The problem here is that you're valuing congruence and shying away from opposing perspectives.. it's often those opposing insights that push forward the conversation and solve conflict, not a bunch of people agreeing with each other . Gotta have thick skin to be on public forums or else ya are going to have a bad time

I can see you're frustrated so I'll end that sentiment there. Here's a list of items I feel should be the default operational package (Manual only, no experience with AT variant):

- Clutch pedal adjustment to one's liking (typically lower)
- Ultramaroon's 3/4" Slave Cylinder swap
- Mtec shifter springs
- ~70-80A duro transmission bushing hardness
- ~70-80A duro subframe bushings
- Lowered ~1"
- No sound tube
- Oil cooler ala Forester XT style
- Camber bolts
- Re-engineered engine/exhaust and tune setup to minimize that torque dip while retaining emissions and MPG targets

Not a unique list, and funny that I am in congruence with others here on this one . Notice around half of those suggestions pertain to the clutch and driveline- that vague stock clutch feel is terrible.

I personally would love a throatier exhaust, HIDs, fogs, etc. standard on the FR-S but those aren't imo a wise choice for a stock manufacturer package.. too much individual tastes there. Sans exhaust those items aren't expensive to source and retrofit to the platform so not a big concern there. As far as stock goes, for the most part they hit home where it counts (chassis, bodylines, balance of power and suspension geometry, total overall driving experience in general)
Koa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Koa For This Useful Post:
GT86_PRAGUE (12-19-2014), Ultramaroon (12-20-2014)
Old 12-19-2014, 10:34 AM   #40
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koa View Post

Notice around half of those suggestions pertain to the clutch and driveline- that vague stock clutch feel is terrible.
Have you seen this?
Rave reviews from those that have done it and on my list for next spring.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77390
GT86_PRAGUE (12-19-2014)
Old 12-19-2014, 10:41 AM   #41
Koa
Sweeper

Drives: '02 RA Bugeye | '15 FRS
Thanked 1,488 Times in 788 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Have you seen this?
Rave reviews from those that have done it and on my list for next spring.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77390
I did it and gave a review about my setup, and thoughts on it. I really feel the 3/4 slave is the cat's meow. Best $50 I ever spent on the driveline

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=38
Koa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Koa For This Useful Post:
GT86_PRAGUE (12-19-2014), Ultramaroon (12-20-2014)
Old 12-19-2014, 10:45 AM   #42
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,597 Times in 2,935 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Automatic climate control for base models
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote