follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 06-20-2014, 02:20 PM   #15
Sideways&Smiling

Drives: AP2 S2000, S14 240sx
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas3wba0 View Post
What @finch1750 said. I think your impression of the community being full of immature, spoiled kids is skewed by the minority. I don't go to the meets regularly these days, due to scheduling conflicts and laziness, but the folks are super laid-back, welcoming, and non-judgmental. We have some folks with decked out "builds", and others with completely stock cars but it makes no difference. I've never felt the kind of douchey, intimidating vibe with the NorCal FT86 community that I previously got from the BMW scene. I think it's great, and just wish I had the time to make it out more.

Also, I mod my car here and there but in no way is it my "build". It's my only car and sees DD duty, so I'm just personalizing here and there for fun, not for props or a magazine feature. So I will be getting myself some Rotas even if I can afford the Volks as it makes no fiscal sense for me to drop that kind of money on an accessory, at best (nothing wrong with the stock wheels besides aesthetics, for my intended purposes).

As for plasti-dip, I used it to blacken out the chrome kidney grille trim on my old E46, and it came out excellent. Made a lot more sense than dropping $50 on the aftermarket part, so don't just assume that anyone trying to save some bills here and there are cheap or impatient. They may just be smart spenders with other interests besides their car. I would agree, however, that plasti-dipping an entire car is pretty tacky and ghetto.
You live in Nor Cal, surrounded by beautiful scenery and stoners. Most people are probably more well off, happier, and thus, nicer, there than most places. lol

Also, please don't do Rotas. You realize there are good wheels that don't cost what Volks cost, right? Get some WedsSports or Enkeis.
Sideways&Smiling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 02:28 PM   #16
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Drives: 2006 Honda S2000
Thanked 5,759 Times in 3,055 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to King Tut
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas3wba0 View Post
As for plasti-dip, I used it to blacken out the chrome kidney grille trim on my old E46, and it came out excellent. Made a lot more sense than dropping $50 on the aftermarket part
Nope. I have found most of the members of the local BRZ/FR-S community to be great. It seems about the same as any enthusiast community I have been part of. There are some more knowledgeable than others, there are some that are further up the evolutionary car enthusiast timeline, there are some that try to impress more than others, and there are a bunch of normal car enthusiasts that just like hanging out with likeminded people.
Old 06-20-2014, 02:39 PM   #17
Diode Dynamics

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Thanked 1,761 Times in 877 Posts
Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
I've met lots of really nice FR-S / BRZ owners here in STL and through the forums. I think it's a great community, so is the S-Chassis community (own an S14)

I love the 240 vs. FR-S/BRZ debate

Nick C.
Diode Dynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 03:55 PM   #18
n2oinferno
Praise Helix!

Drives: Accord 2.0T, Silverado
Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,072 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I know a lot of homeowners that are impatient, immature assholes too. That doesn't make me want to sell my house and live in a van.

You can hold a grudge against inexpensive methods of modifying cars as much as you want, be it replica wheels, Plasti-dip, or spray paint. It's not going away, and it's not by any means new. People have been modifying cars to get what they want out of them for the least amount of money out of their pockets since the days of rat rods. We just have access to new ideas and new products to go along with it.

Haven't had any personal dealings with the FRZ guys around me. I see them up at C&C Upstate though. Haven't heard anything bad about them, so I'm indifferent.
n2oinferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 04:13 PM   #19
Annahra

Drives: 2014 WRB BRZ LTD
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
The part I don't get is where you say it all starts with being too impatient to save up for good wheels, and then say that the guy who has never had replicas is a bitch whose parents paid for everything. Seems contradictory! Otherwise, carry on!

I'm in STL too and haven't met any jerks, although I don't think our community is that active. All of the cars around here look pretty stock, too--the only stanced 86 I've seen was at Scoobapalooza and it looked functional still.
Annahra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 04:50 PM   #20
husker741
Banned

Drives: 2013 Whiteout Scion FR-S 6MT
Thanked 4,183 Times in 1,415 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzario View Post
The comparison method wasn't assuming the day-to-day is the same. My theme here is patience. You can buy a whole lot of high-end parts and till fuck up your build if you're overzealous....that's the theme for most s-chassis builds lol.

Regarding Rotas...you saw that I said it's essentially a stepping stone, right? I didn't really bash them. I just used them to show an example of being impatient. The UK guys drift on them all the time with no issues. My point is that the TE37 is superior in strength and weight so it would be the obvious choice between the Rota Grid and Volk TE37. What I'm getting at is saving that $600 or buying a full set of Grids right off the bat.

Yes, brand whoring is lame...why would you put a company's decal in your window just because you bought their parts? To me it's a thing you do when you were hooked up/sponsored by that company.

I love the info you dropped here...but the main thing I want to address is the level of patience you see in their builds. Even though people overseas are saving money because they don't drive everyday, don't you think that their level patience plays a role?

Dude you're gonna have to troll harder than that...stop trying to hit me an hit me, Neo.
If I wanted to troll you, I would. Consider my post more of just trying to annoy you by spelling out the actual names. I'm too lazy right now to troll.
husker741 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 05:37 PM   #21
tahdizzle
So elite I'm 1338

Drives: WRB Subaru BRZ
Thanked 1,934 Times in 982 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Garage
This community is full of Prom-Night Predators!
tahdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tahdizzle For This Useful Post:
Giccin (06-20-2014), husker741 (06-20-2014)
Old 06-20-2014, 05:52 PM   #22
Carlitoz3

Drives: 2013 MT Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Never been to a meet :0
Carlitoz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 07:48 PM   #23
dizzario
Banned

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
There's too much to respond to via my phone but this is EXACTLY the conversation I wanted to initiate.

It's not that I'm worried about others. It's like the 'Honda-guy' thing that Honda owners can't escape. This, in conjunction with the lack of 'serious' people in the area was enough to make me consider selling it and going back to what I know. Shit man saving the monthly payment was another plus haha.

Chip on my shoulder? I think it's because I'm being sarcastic. Don't read too much into it, man.
dizzario is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dizzario For This Useful Post:
2013GTRNate (06-21-2014)
Old 06-20-2014, 08:14 PM   #24
alan.chalkley

Drives: 4wd zooks
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Unfortunately , most of the 86/brz owners around here use bookface to organize meets and it attracts the wrong hoons , often ending with a visit by police.
So i have become very careful about which meets to attend.
alan.chalkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 09:28 PM   #25
LadyFRZ
Car N00b

Drives: 97 Miata
Thanked 1,167 Times in 450 Posts
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
They're pretty good, haven't seen them in awhile though.
The majority of the people who own the car seem to not give a shit and wonder why in hell I'm waving at them.
The car community and meets are pretty cool. There was one member that discouraged me from joining (this was before I joined ft86) before I got an 86. Other than that, great people.
LadyFRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 09:35 PM   #26
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
what is happening? i think that isolating "car community" to a location is a silly thing. if i hang out at some parking garage in irvine, then they are mainly children with slammed or show cars. if i go to the track then they are usually people who are faster than i am. i dont like either of those things. some people suck, some people do cool things. where they are is irrelevant.
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 11:15 PM   #27
fooddude
Banned

Drives: 04 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Reg Cab
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Maybe it's a racial thing? White flatbiller socal bros (nowadays gone dbag hipster lol) are usually crazy in the head and love to shit on others any chance they get and just want "bigger and better" than everyone else - elitist napoleon complex. Whereas, japanese city kids aren't.

Or maybe it's a social thing? City people (like Tokyo, Osaka, or even American big dense cities) are almost always modest, courteous, passive, level headed, chill, calm. They're more passionate at what they do and don't care if it's not the norm; rather than doing it because it's a trend, accepted and it's "cool." They don't need to cry for attention or to be accepted...they just do it because they truly love it.
fooddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 11:31 PM   #28
dizzario
Banned

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I'm reading these comments as they come in. Some of the stuff from my initial post was misunderstood so I won't address it...but this is getting good. Some of you SoCal guys are hitting the nail on the head.

Some people are picking up what I'm putting down and others are hung up on a few details.
dizzario is offline   Reply With Quote