Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   How do you feel about the FRS/BRZ community in your area? *DEBATE* (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68439)

dizzario 06-20-2014 05:03 AM

How do you feel about the FRS/BRZ community in your area? *DEBATE*

Wasted my time.

dem00n 06-20-2014 09:36 AM

They're alright.

Nice guys.

gramicci101 06-20-2014 10:11 AM

I don't know; I avoid going out in public.

MokSpeed 06-20-2014 10:23 AM

That was a pretty bad comparison. Larger population means more people you don't like. Also, factoring in that in most Asian countries, it isn't even necessary to operate a vehicle most of your life. The only time I touched a steering wheel back in Hong Kong was at the arcade. With that being said most live under these conditions:

-Solid mass transit system
-No daily driving commute to work
-Way less money spent on gas
-Less time out of garage is less chance of damage or accident
-Virtually no mileage put on the car resulting in minimal maintenance costs.

Compare that to the fact that my car is parked outside daily and I drive about 100 miles to and from work. Do you realize how much money you save with that kind of lifestyle? No shit they can afford TE-37s. So what if somebody gets Rotas? They're proven wheels and the definition of "replica" has been stretched too far by elitist car enthusiast douches. It's like me saying you're a douche for buying aviator sunglasses that aren't Ray-Bans so they're "knockoff". The cultures are completely different and it's hard to compare. A 16 year old here gets excited for their driver's license. A 16 year old there gets excited for their first Gundam model.

Though I disagree with your comparison methods, I do agree with your argument for the most part. If you're going to modify your car, do it right. Doing it right means ensuring that quality parts are used with proper installation along with proper knowledge of the product/modification being performed. Not brand whoring. As for the local car scene in my area I've basically become a hermit. I only hang out with those I personally know and the occasional FR-S/BRZ enthusiast meets. Other than that I prefer to just hang out with my real friends than go out and see youngsters like those you've stated.

husker741 06-20-2014 10:47 AM

Only read up until you said that we need to classify our cars as white and red, scrolled down, then said fuck this, tl;dr.

My Whiteout is soooo cool and Firestorm looks great. World Rally Blue is also killer, with Argento and Asphalt also looking good.

dizzario 06-20-2014 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MokSpeed (Post 1806803)
That was a pretty bad comparison. Larger population means more people you don't like. Also, factoring in that in most Asian countries, it isn't even necessary to operate a vehicle most of your life. The only time I touched a steering wheel back in Hong Kong was at the arcade. With that being said most live under these conditions:

-Solid mass transit system
-No daily driving commute to work
-Way less money spent on gas
-Less time out of garage is less chance of damage or accident
-Virtually no mileage put on the car resulting in minimal maintenance costs.

Compare that to the fact that my car is parked outside daily and I drive about 100 miles to and from work. Do you realize how much money you save with that kind of lifestyle? No shit they can afford TE-37s. So what if somebody gets Rotas? They're proven wheels and the definition of "replica" has been stretched too far by elitist car enthusiast douches. It's like me saying you're a douche for buying aviator sunglasses that aren't Ray-Bans so they're "knockoff". The cultures are completely different and it's hard to compare. A 16 year old here gets excited for their driver's license. A 16 year old there gets excited for their first Gundam model.

Though I disagree with your comparison methods, I do agree with your argument for the most part. If you're going to modify your car, do it right. Doing it right means ensuring that quality parts are used with proper installation along with proper knowledge of the product/modification being performed. Not brand whoring. As for the local car scene in my area I've basically become a hermit. I only hang out with those I personally know and the occasional FR-S/BRZ enthusiast meets. Other than that I prefer to just hang out with my real friends than go out and see youngsters like those you've stated.

The comparison method wasn't assuming the day-to-day is the same. My theme here is patience. You can buy a whole lot of high-end parts and till fuck up your build if you're overzealous....that's the theme for most s-chassis builds lol.

Regarding Rotas...you saw that I said it's essentially a stepping stone, right? I didn't really bash them. I just used them to show an example of being impatient. The UK guys drift on them all the time with no issues. My point is that the TE37 is superior in strength and weight so it would be the obvious choice between the Rota Grid and Volk TE37. What I'm getting at is saving that $600 or buying a full set of Grids right off the bat.

Yes, brand whoring is lame...why would you put a company's decal in your window just because you bought their parts? To me it's a thing you do when you were hooked up/sponsored by that company.

I love the info you dropped here...but the main thing I want to address is the level of patience you see in their builds. Even though people overseas are saving money because they don't drive everyday, don't you think that their level patience plays a role?

Quote:

Originally Posted by husker741 (Post 1806839)
Only read up until you said that we need to classify our cars as white and red, scrolled down, then said fuck this, tl;dr.

My Whiteout is soooo cool and Firestorm looks great. World Rally Blue is also killer, with Argento and Asphalt also looking good.

Dude you're gonna have to troll harder than that...stop trying to hit me an hit me, Neo.

dizzario 06-20-2014 12:56 PM

Regarding being an active part of the community:

I agree with the dudes saying they've become hermits. I barely take my FRS out now that I'm on nights and during the day I just do things around the house. I'm not feeling a desperate need to be on of the hive but it would be nice to know that there are a few locals who share the same taste as I have. This platform is meant to be driven, yeah? How awesome would it be to go on a spirited canyon run with a couple other dudes who have similar performance goals as you? In this case you'd have a few guys focusing on grip and stability. Between the three of you I'm sure that the information/data gathered on certain setups can lead to an optimal setup. It's a pooling of info and experiences about/on setups that you can't get when most people are at Home Depot looking at spray paint for their wheels, brake calipers, and badges.

Total bummer.

phobos512 06-20-2014 01:02 PM

Reading this I thought to myself, this guy must be young, in the military, enlisted, with a chip on his shoulder the size of the Rock of Gibraltar. Seems I was right on at least two of those counts looking at your post history. I think you need to spend a little less time worrying about others, and a little more time worrying about yourself.

gramicci101 06-20-2014 01:20 PM

Speaking as an older guy, in the military, enlisted, with a minor chip on my shoulder, you're exactly right. People will come and go. The people around you right now and the people that will be around you in two or three years will be entirely different. Do your own thing, whatever that thing is, and enjoy what you do, no matter what other people think.

Sideways&Smiling 06-20-2014 01:25 PM

TLDR; 90% of the people in the S-Chassis/FR-S/drift scene are immature, unintelligent, semi-broke kids who care more about looking cool than having quality parts or their car being functional. What else is new?

It's not only the drift scene either. I always have dumbass kids in Civics and Integras follow me around revving their stupid slammed/demon cambered shit boxes at me just because I'm driving an S2000.

There are tons of idiot "car guys" in general. Ignore the dumbasses and do your own thing.

finch1750 06-20-2014 01:25 PM

Ours is pretty cool here in norcal. Community is a big draw to this for me as I hated the local subie community when I owned one and missed out on the 80s/90s tuning scene being too young.

We have 3 weekly car meets (usually about 10 cars) in different parts of the bay and 2 monthly meets (20-40 cars). We also just wrapped up our large annual meet as well (90 cars). But beyond that we are all friends outside of iit randomly meeting up for lunch, boba, whatever.

So while I do agree with certain things you said I would say that is the minority. I dislike Formula D for the same reasons abd I think it is missing the point. Any car with an LS swap is missing the point I feel like, but whatever its their ride. Idk, maybe Im just lucky my area is as awesome as it is.

ProjectGT86 06-20-2014 01:30 PM

the douche who makes keys is in my area, Straight harassed me over Facebook for a week because I "supposedly" said something subtly racist about Asians. But wouldn't even tell me what I said so I could own up to it. Guys a straight man child threw multiple temper tantrums online, and I have the screen shots to prove it. Most of the main guys have no lives outside of the "86" scene Im not even interested in going to events, or meets, my car I can enjoy it by myself and with my close family and friends

MokSpeed 06-20-2014 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dizzario (Post 1807104)
Even though people overseas are saving money because they don't drive everyday, don't you think that their level patience plays a role?

Yes I completely agree! It also doesn't help that in this day and age American pop culture puts so much focus on instant gratification. This younger generation is going to have a real hard time if they don't start educating themselves outside of school homework...

chas3wba0 06-20-2014 02:06 PM

What @finch1750 said. I think your impression of the community being full of immature, spoiled kids is skewed by the minority. I don't go to the meets regularly these days, due to scheduling conflicts and laziness, but the folks are super laid-back, welcoming, and non-judgmental. We have some folks with decked out "builds", and others with completely stock cars but it makes no difference. I've never felt the kind of douchey, intimidating vibe with the NorCal FT86 community that I previously got from the BMW scene. I think it's great, and just wish I had the time to make it out more. I see you're in SoCal, though, so YMMV.

Also, I mod my car here and there but in no way is it my "build". It's my only car and sees DD duty, so I'm just personalizing here and there for fun, not for props or a magazine feature. So I will be getting myself some Rotas even if I can afford the Volks as it makes no fiscal sense for me to drop that kind of money on an accessory, at best (nothing wrong with the stock wheels besides aesthetics, for my intended purposes).

As for plasti-dip, I used it to blacken out the chrome kidney grille trim on my old E46, and it came out excellent. Made a lot more sense than dropping $50 on the aftermarket part, so don't just assume that anyone trying to save some bills here and there are cheap or impatient. They may just be smart spenders with other interests besides their car. I would agree, however, that plasti-dipping an entire car is pretty tacky and ghetto.