|
||||||
| Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain. |
![]() |
|
|
Thread Tools | Search this Thread |
|
|
#15 | |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: May 2013
Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Location: Puyallup, WA
Posts: 30,436
Thanks: 29,833
Thanked 32,866 Times in 16,849 Posts
Mentioned: 717 Post(s)
|
Quote:
The shifting challenge To understand the "timing" of shifting a MT, I suggest you try this technique. With the transmission warmed up, learn to shift UP the gears WITHOUT using the clutch OR blipping the throttle. Drive your car a couple miles out to a quiet country road, without a co-pilot, so you can become one with your transmission. Yes, use the clutch to put it into first gear, after the car gets going, let off the gas and slip the car into second gear (without using the clutch or hitting the throttle). Do the same from 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th. Once you "learn" the timing, by getting it "right", you should be able to shift up through the gears without feeling (or hearing) the gears mesh and NOT using the clutch. After you have mastered this technique, shifting using the clutch is a snap. If old humfrz can consistently do this in his FR-S, I know you can in your car. |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#16 |
|
Wes
Join Date: Feb 2017
Drives: Artisan Spirits '17 86
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,874
Thanks: 1,259
Thanked 1,737 Times in 1,028 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
|
How much labour would a shop charge for something like that? How long does it take
__________________
Instagram: @gt86ws
|
|
|
|
|
|
#17 |
|
Wes
Join Date: Feb 2017
Drives: Artisan Spirits '17 86
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,874
Thanks: 1,259
Thanked 1,737 Times in 1,028 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
|
Well...I can comfortably say that I'd never attempt something like that haha
__________________
Instagram: @gt86ws
|
|
|
|
|
|
#18 | |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: May 2013
Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Location: Puyallup, WA
Posts: 30,436
Thanks: 29,833
Thanked 32,866 Times in 16,849 Posts
Mentioned: 717 Post(s)
|
Quote:
Really! How many of ya'll out there can do this consistently in your FR-S or BRZ ?? humfrz |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#19 | ||
|
not playing cards
Join Date: Sep 2014
Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Location: vantucky, wa
Posts: 32,394
Thanks: 53,054
Thanked 37,230 Times in 19,309 Posts
Mentioned: 1118 Post(s)
|
Quote:
Quote:
__________________
|
||
|
|
|
|
|
#20 |
|
Because compromise ®
Join Date: Jan 2012
Drives: Red Herring
Location: australia
Posts: 7,830
Thanks: 4,058
Thanked 9,576 Times in 4,205 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
|
Wrong hole.
__________________
My car is completely stock except for all the mods.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#21 | |
|
Member
Join Date: Sep 2017
Drives: Pending
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 36
Thanks: 2
Thanked 23 Times in 7 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
|
Quote:
Which steering rack bushings did you get for the BRZ? I got the Mazda3 to not get in the modding game, but ended up modding a good amount...lowering springs, engine mount, and of course tires. However, I found out the hard way I can't really live with a boring car. |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#22 |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Feb 2016
Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ
Location: Florida
Posts: 394
Thanks: 91
Thanked 195 Times in 115 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
|
I went with Whiteline, I have a bunch of their inserts for other bushings. I can feel every bump in the road(not in a bad way). The only thing I have done with the Mazda 3 so far is added hood struts because I hate using props now.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#23 |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2016
Drives: '14 Monogram, '95 Miata, '90 300ZX
Location: VA
Posts: 378
Thanks: 499
Thanked 253 Times in 144 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
|
I can drive mine just fine but I hate the lack of feel in the clutch. Might have to do that master cylinder swap. At least the electric power steering is excellent as far as electric power steerings go.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Similar Threads
|
||||
| Thread | Thread Starter | Forum | Replies | Last Post |
| DIY - Easy clutch grab adjustment (~10 mins) | Koji_Online | DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides | 745 | 11-09-2022 12:44 AM |
| EZCarLift Easy car lift portable super easy car lift | bren5279 | Mechanical Maintenance and Tools | 16 | 09-11-2015 01:57 PM |
| Easy Clutch Grab Adjustment | frsfreak | Southern California | 2 | 03-28-2014 04:13 AM |
| Anyway easy way to fix this? | FRSure | Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) | 22 | 01-06-2014 09:54 PM |
| Any (easy) way to stiffen up the feel of the clutch? | Partial Stall | Engine, Exhaust, Transmission | 41 | 07-19-2012 02:17 PM |