|
||||||
| Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ |
![]() |
|
|
Thread Tools | Search this Thread |
|
|
#15 |
|
The Fail Boat
Join Date: Aug 2011
Drives: CWP S.B.
Location: LasVegas
Posts: 3,027
Thanks: 4,720
Thanked 1,294 Times in 874 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
|
What? it's easy to feel if the oil is getting old in this car, the roughness from revving the engine alone says a lot. At below like 4.5k the difference isn't huge but @ high rpm is very pronounce.
It's like it's not happy for me to stay pass 5.5k.But I think it might has something to do with my engine getting old too. ![]() Usually the first 1.5k after oil change is buttery smooth then it slowly degrades. Ok, I know that may sounds like out of this world......but It's very obvious if I don't change oil within a month or two after tracking the car.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#16 | |
|
Proud of BOXER
Join Date: Dec 2012
Drives: Subaru Boxer
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 8,152
Thanks: 7,087
Thanked 6,874 Times in 3,680 Posts
Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
|
Roger, you can feel the difference in the smoothness of the revs and how freely it wants to rev. Especially how it pulls above 4k, as mentioned.
The engine just sounds and feels more effortless with fresh oil.
__________________
Quote:
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#17 | |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: May 2013
Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Location: Puyallup, WA
Posts: 30,436
Thanks: 29,833
Thanked 32,866 Times in 16,849 Posts
Mentioned: 717 Post(s)
|
Quote:
Oh, my .. are you taking some new meds..?? If so, best you check the dose "numbers" again... ![]() Have you ever wondered about when medications are prescribed to adults, that they seldom take into account the patients body weight. In toxicology labs, dose levels are determined by milligrams or micrograms per kilogram of body weight of the test animal. Chew on that fer ah spell … ![]() humfrz |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#18 | |
|
The Fail Boat
Join Date: Aug 2011
Drives: CWP S.B.
Location: LasVegas
Posts: 3,027
Thanks: 4,720
Thanked 1,294 Times in 874 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
|
Quote:
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#19 | |
|
Proud of BOXER
Join Date: Dec 2012
Drives: Subaru Boxer
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 8,152
Thanks: 7,087
Thanked 6,874 Times in 3,680 Posts
Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
|
English?
__________________
Quote:
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#20 |
|
Famous Potatoes
Join Date: Mar 2016
Drives: '15 ultramarine
Location: Idaho
Posts: 14,097
Thanks: 5,833
Thanked 19,730 Times in 9,284 Posts
Mentioned: 163 Post(s)
|
I swear my car had 10 more HP today with fresh 5-40 and a nice new k&n larger oil filter, and a wash and wax.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#21 | ||
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2013
Drives: '17 Limited BRZ CWP w/ PP
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 5,846
Thanks: 14,222
Thanked 6,568 Times in 3,255 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
|
Quote:
Heh, ya, I know such things about medications.
__________________
Instagram: @spike.grc
Quote:
|
||
|
|
|
|
|
#22 |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: May 2013
Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Location: Puyallup, WA
Posts: 30,436
Thanks: 29,833
Thanked 32,866 Times in 16,849 Posts
Mentioned: 717 Post(s)
|
I'm ah thinken you three:
@chaoskaze @Ultramaroon @Clipdat …..have been brainwashed by BIG OIL … ![]() Either that or you are just yanken ma chain …. ![]() humfrz |
|
|
|
|
|
#23 | ||
|
Proud of BOXER
Join Date: Dec 2012
Drives: Subaru Boxer
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 8,152
Thanks: 7,087
Thanked 6,874 Times in 3,680 Posts
Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
|
It's just about being in sync with your vehicle and feeling literally every piece of information that it's presenting to you.
Kindof like knowing how to satisfy and please a woman in the bedroom, there's subtle non-verbal queues you pick up on and experience. It sounds like you just aren't as in touch with your vehicle as some of us are. Quote:
__________________
Quote:
|
||
|
|
|
|
|
#24 | |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: May 2013
Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Location: Puyallup, WA
Posts: 30,436
Thanks: 29,833
Thanked 32,866 Times in 16,849 Posts
Mentioned: 717 Post(s)
|
Quote:
So, if my so called sex life, is getting rough, it's time to change the oil ..?? (well, I have had that same jar of Vaseline for quite a while, maybe it's gone bad .. )humfrz |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#25 |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: May 2013
Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Location: Puyallup, WA
Posts: 30,436
Thanks: 29,833
Thanked 32,866 Times in 16,849 Posts
Mentioned: 717 Post(s)
|
OK, I got to get to bed ...those deck waterproofing fumes have gotten to me.
I'm going to dial up ol @Tcoat to straighten some of you folks out first thing in the morning. ZZZZZZZZZZZ |
|
|
|
|
|
#26 | |
|
not playing cards
Join Date: Sep 2014
Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Location: vantucky, wa
Posts: 32,394
Thanks: 53,054
Thanked 37,230 Times in 19,309 Posts
Mentioned: 1118 Post(s)
|
Quote:
Before my oil cooler, I started to feel the change around 4500 miles. Now it's around 6000. With a pressure gauge I can also see a slight drop at the same temps. Am I changing sooner than necessary? I don't care. I feel better about it. That's all that matters.
__________________
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#27 |
|
The Fail Boat
Join Date: Aug 2011
Drives: CWP S.B.
Location: LasVegas
Posts: 3,027
Thanks: 4,720
Thanked 1,294 Times in 874 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
|
I actually don't know what changes the feel of oil so I know I'm not gonna be able to convince you that I can feel the oil getting old. Usually 1 oil change for me is about 2 trips to cali to track or mountain passes + some driving in town.
I think this is really a prospective issue. To me the possible reasons for oil feeling old are 1. Dirt, I live in Vegas, there is a huge amount of dirt. I can pop any interior panel open and there is gonna be a layer of dirt/very fine dust. Ya, Nevada & South Cali........ tumbleweed & dust devil. I'm sure my engine sucks in a ton. 2. Heat Cycling the oil? Usually for me to go to track means 8 hours round trip to Cali track plus another 8 hours on track, so 16 hours of straight driving. I usually do this or just simply enjoy my time doing canyon runs within the first 2000 miles after I change my oil. I'm kind hard on my car while I'm on certain roads, I don't really shift till redline & does tons of engine braking for the entire length I'm on that section of the road. I drove the entire section of Mt. Hamilton HW130 staying near redline. *Humfrz you said you love that road. PS:* Most of the time I only drive 5 miles over speed limit on public highway & I don't race others..... >___> If i encounter someone on those mt pass i slow down and build space till i can have a go again. PSPS: I'm not counting metal shavings in oil cuz i have magnetic oil filter and drain plug. |
|
|
|
|
|
#28 |
|
not playing cards
Join Date: Sep 2014
Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Location: vantucky, wa
Posts: 32,394
Thanks: 53,054
Thanked 37,230 Times in 19,309 Posts
Mentioned: 1118 Post(s)
|
It's not dirt. You're feeling the drop in viscosity/lubricity as the oil cooks and shears. Some of it is also the filter getting dirty. I've tried just changing the filter. Feels better for a while but not long enough to make it worth doing regularly.
__________________
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Similar Threads
|
||||
| Thread | Thread Starter | Forum | Replies | Last Post |
| New Oil Change Interval for 2015s? | tomkozski | Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) | 50 | 02-12-2018 01:13 AM |
| Oil Change Interval | BunnyRZed | Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) | 18 | 01-01-2018 09:58 PM |
| Oil change interval | tayj89 | Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions | 3 | 07-21-2016 10:21 AM |
| 10K oil change interval on 2015's? | torqdork | Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum | 29 | 08-13-2015 01:01 AM |
| Oil Change Interval Change (Subaru recommended) | Flow | Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) | 34 | 09-10-2014 07:27 PM |