follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 05-10-2015, 12:28 PM   #15
So FR-SH

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S Halo
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yap View Post
Thanks, I was looking at the forums and I really couldn't find any information on it. I really am interested in JDL now, and I'm debating if I want to go catted or non catted. I was wondering if the catted was a bit loud for your taste.
Yeah, JDL is the better option to go with in my opinion. I went with the catted because I don't plan to get a tune anytime soon as well as have to worry about the CEL. The catted uel header didn't make my car too loud. It depends on what exhaust you have. I know I have a deeper sounding exhaust which combined with the JDL increases the sound a bit more as well as ad the rumble, but to me it doesn't feel like a significant increase of sound. I find it to be the perfect sound in my case, it's not too loud, and not too quiet. For the uncatted, it would sound relatively louder and perhaps a bit more raspier. Overall, I find my header to be a good match along with the rest of my exhaust system.
So FR-SH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to So FR-SH For This Useful Post:
Teclis (06-03-2015)
Old 05-10-2015, 08:46 PM   #16
Yap

Drives: Scion FR-S Whiteout
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Yeah im surprised that they offered it. I thought it was only FT86 Speedfactory that offered it. I'm still debating if I should get catted or uncatted, but as someone stated you can hardly tell the difference. I'll most likely go catted to get a more tamed exhaust note.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsmar View Post
Let me find a dyno from the initial prototype... I took a car with drop in filter and 3" cat back, dyno tuned it... Swapped on the header and retuned for a fair comparison. Interesting characteristics. Torque dip was still present iirc but made almost the same tq increase at every rpm. The entire plot just shifted up. They decided to not produce it for whatever reason but I was fairly impressed overall. I was told that they would sell if someone asked for it but they weren't going to post it up anywhere. It looks like they changed their mind.
Yap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 09:11 PM   #17
nelsmar

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,361 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 345 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yap View Post
Yeah im surprised that they offered it. I thought it was only FT86 Speedfactory that offered it. I'm still debating if I should get catted or uncatted, but as someone stated you can hardly tell the difference. I'll most likely go catted to get a more tamed exhaust note.
Personally I would rather use a catted front pipe. My girlfriend has a greddy sp muffler, JDL catted fp, op, and catless UEL and the exhaust noise level is fairly low, with no drone, and has a great sound to it.
Old Setup: Vortech Supercharged 360WHP/262WTQ @ 11.5psi
My build thread - WTF happened to nelsmar's car thread
nelsmar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nelsmar For This Useful Post:
Chad86 (10-12-2015)
Old 05-10-2015, 10:09 PM   #18
iarefluffy

Drives: CWP series blue brz
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by So FR-SH View Post
Yeah, JDL is the better option to go with in my opinion. I went with the catted because I don't plan to get a tune anytime soon as well as have to worry about the CEL. The catted uel header didn't make my car too loud. It depends on what exhaust you have. I know I have a deeper sounding exhaust which combined with the JDL increases the sound a bit more as well as ad the rumble, but to me it doesn't feel like a significant increase of sound. I find it to be the perfect sound in my case, it's not too loud, and not too quiet. For the uncatted, it would sound relatively louder and perhaps a bit more raspier. Overall, I find my header to be a good match along with the rest of my exhaust system.
which exhaust do you have?
iarefluffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 10:54 PM   #19
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,027 Times in 1,465 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
The key to keeping the rasp and drone down will be whats after the header. IMO I would go JDL's uel non catted, ultra quiet FP (or keep stock front pipe) and get a nice resonated cat-back like a Q300, 2.5inch perrin or something similar.
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jflogerzi For This Useful Post:
Chad86 (10-12-2015)
Old 05-11-2015, 12:24 AM   #20
Yap

Quote:
Originally Posted by iarefluffy View Post
I have the Afe Takeda catback exhaust. I was pressured into buying it so I don't know how the whole thing would sound with everything stock in the front and the catback exhaust.
Old 05-11-2015, 12:52 PM   #21
kch
Senior Misanthrope

Drives: 2015 BRZ Series.Blue CWP
Thanked 1,168 Times in 645 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflogerzi View Post
The key to keeping the rasp and drone down will be whats after the header. IMO I would go JDL's uel non catted, ultra quiet FP (or keep stock front pipe) and get a nice resonated cat-back like a Q300, 2.5inch perrin or something similar.
I just finished this exact setup. JDL UEL catless, 2.5" OP, UQFP, and 2.5" resonated perrin. It sounds like sex. Can totally recommend.
kch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kch For This Useful Post:
Chad86 (10-12-2015), TofuJoe (09-30-2016)
Old 05-12-2015, 10:07 PM   #22
So FR-SH

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S Halo
Quote:
Originally Posted by iarefluffy View Post
I have the Greddy Supreme SP Catback on.
So FR-SH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 01:10 AM   #23
CraftyObeseCrunchyKitty

Drives: Blue ZC6
I installed the JDL catted UEL with a factory exhaust and I didn't notice a difference in the exhaust note. No rumble at all. Swapping out the muffler for the muffled track pipe from Nameless makes it sound like a typical tuner Subaru though. I dynoed it, un-tuned, and lost a significant amount of mid-range torque. After getting tuned some of the mid range torque was returned and a decent amount was gained at the top of the rev range. It weighs about 6 pounds less than the factory header so I guess I'll stick with it. For now.
CraftyObeseCrunchyKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 03:16 AM   #24
Yap

thanks for your input guys, I'm still debating cause of Cali laws. I want that rumble but not be too loud.
Old 05-15-2015, 05:48 AM   #25
rx3

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
It would be nice if one of these catted headers was available with a stock looking heat shield, such that it could pass visual inspection.
rx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 08:07 AM   #26
nelsmar

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraftyObeseCrunchyKitty View Post
I installed the JDL catted UEL with a factory exhaust and I didn't notice a difference in the exhaust note. No rumble at all. Swapping out the muffler for the muffled track pipe from Nameless makes it sound like a typical tuner Subaru though. I dynoed it, un-tuned, and lost a significant amount of mid-range torque. After getting tuned some of the mid range torque was returned and a decent amount was gained at the top of the rev range. It weighs about 6 pounds less than the factory header so I guess I'll stick with it. For now.
Did you warm up the car and then re-torque the header? The heads flex slightly and the flanges will loose contact with the head. A friend did a dyno with one of the very first JDL UEL uncatted headers and lost significant power until high rpm. After fixing the flanges not matting up he broke 200whp wayyyyy back.
Old 05-16-2015, 02:38 AM   #27
CraftyObeseCrunchyKitty

Drives: Blue ZC6
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsmar View Post
Did you warm up the car and then re-torque the header? The heads flex slightly and the flanges will loose contact with the head. A friend did a dyno with one of the very first JDL UEL uncatted headers and lost significant power until high rpm. After fixing the flanges not matting up he broke 200whp wayyyyy back.
What gaskets did your friend use? I did re-torque the header bolts after a while, but none of the nuts felt loose when I did. I noticed some soot on the head when I removed the factory header but when I re-torqued the bolts I didn't notice any more than what was already there.
CraftyObeseCrunchyKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 09:38 AM   #28
nelsmar

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraftyObeseCrunchyKitty View Post
What gaskets did your friend use? I did re-torque the header bolts after a while, but none of the nuts felt loose when I did. I noticed some soot on the head when I removed the factory header but when I re-torqued the bolts I didn't notice any more than what was already there.
I have installed a lot of headers and used STI and BRZ gaskets. You want to warm the engine and torque when warm. The nuts won't come loose. Especially if you are using the copper lock nuts. But the torque value may change due to the engine having slight flex after warming up.

I am going to assume the design for the catted UEL hasn't changed much if any from the original prototype and I forsure saw a fairly large gain across the powerband. Did you have it dyno tuned or just e tuned or what? I would be more than happy to share the vvt maps used in the dyno above when I get to my computer.