follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 02-09-2015, 02:24 AM   #1
wilfredwong

Drives: 13 FR-S
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Catted header or catted front pipe?

I just had my tomei 60R with the tomei front and joint pipe on, and it's hella loud.
Since I am planning to change my header too and I realized if there is no cat the noise level might be too high.
So I decided to keep one cat.
Now here's the question, performance wise, would it be better to have a catted header or a catted front pipe? I'm thinking of the JDL headers and I know they have both the catted and non catted version. For front pipe since I decided to purchase the tomei one before, I haven't done any research for a catted front pipe yet.
I had thought about changing the 60R but I love its sound and weight reduction so I will not choose that option for now.
wilfredwong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 02:27 AM   #2
2much
I wanna go fast

Drives: 2013 FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
catless header
2much is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 2much For This Useful Post:
wilfredwong (02-09-2015)
Old 02-09-2015, 02:39 AM   #3
akahenry

Drives: '18 STi
Catless header hands down. I think you should be careful with your exhaust set up, especially with the 60r, because my friend recently got a ticket for basically having a catless set up (Tomei UEL -> Tomei Over Pipe - > Motiv Resonated/ Catless Front Pipe -> Tomei 60R). He got the ticket in Pleasant Hill too lol. Back on topic though, if you're really out for performance, don't even bother with cats, especially with the header. I mean, why pay extra for a catalytic converter that hinders performance, when you're seeking for performance? Sounds like a double negative to me. I think keeping your stock front pipe on will really tone down the volume of your potential exhaust, compared to an aftermarket catted front pipe. Either way, with your proposed exhaust set up, it's going to be crazy loud lol. Good luck!
akahenry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to akahenry For This Useful Post:
wilfredwong (02-09-2015)
Old 02-09-2015, 03:28 AM   #4
wilfredwong

Drives: 13 FR-S
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by akahenry View Post
Catless header hands down. I think you should be careful with your exhaust set up, especially with the 60r, because my friend recently got a ticket for basically having a catless set up (Tomei UEL -> Tomei Over Pipe - > Motiv Resonated/ Catless Front Pipe -> Tomei 60R). He got the ticket in Pleasant Hill too lol. Back on topic though, if you're really out for performance, don't even bother with cats, especially with the header. I mean, why pay extra for a catalytic converter that hinders performance, when you're seeking for performance? Sounds like a double negative to me. I think keeping your stock front pipe on will really tone down the volume of your potential exhaust, compared to an aftermarket catted front pipe. Either way, with your proposed exhaust set up, it's going to be crazy loud lol. Good luck!
I know, I don't even dare to drive my car after the sun sets. From what you said, I think the best way might be just put back my OEM front pipe on, and think about if I should get a catless header.
wilfredwong is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wilfredwong For This Useful Post:
akahenry (02-09-2015)
Old 02-09-2015, 05:07 PM   #5
dj2020

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Along these lines, is there a huge difference in performance replacing a stock catted front pipe with an aftermarket high flow catted front pipe? This is assuming you already have a catless header.
dj2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 06:11 PM   #6
2much
I wanna go fast

Drives: 2013 FR-S 6MT
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj2020 View Post
Along these lines, is there a huge difference in performance replacing a stock catted front pipe with an aftermarket high flow catted front pipe? This is assuming you already have a catless header.
The biggest difference comes from the header and corresponding tune. AFAIK the overpipe and front pipe will provide minimal gains or response, unless you are on forced induction. I personally am not going to spend the $ on those two parts.
2much is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2much For This Useful Post:
dj2020 (02-09-2015), wilfredwong (02-09-2015)