follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 01-02-2019, 11:04 AM   #15
TommyW

Drives: '13 Whiteout
Thanked 1,242 Times in 673 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
So now it's down to what color 86?
TommyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 07:43 PM   #16
thill

Drives: 2020 SS1LE (previous 13 BRZ owner)
Thanked 1,463 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
If you are going to get rid of the Mustang I think you should also drive an WRX/STI, Focus RS, GTI/Golf R. More practical, all have good handling and plenty of hp/tq, and a little more comfortable. Living in Mass the AWD is a big plus on some of the models.

I love the BRZ. In the past 6+ years I have owned a BRZ, WRX, C7 Vette Z51, Golf R, and currently drive a Focus RS. I have driven many cars in between and in all honesty the Focus RS and BRZ are the two most fun of the lot in terms or driving dynamics and personality combined with the street. I loved the C7 on the track but the car was just overkill on public roads and probably dangerous
thill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 12:24 AM   #17
TooSlow

Drives: Toyota
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Drove a NC Miata PRHT for 3 years, then sold it 2 years ago. It had "enough" room for me and the Mrs- small trunk, glove box, and center storage between the backs of the seats. We learned to pack light and drove on many a trips with no problems. The top was rarely down. Just got the PRHT for security.

Fast forward to 2018. Really missed driving a small sports car. Wanted to buy the ND (pre 2018), but decided not to because:

1. with the new hard top, the Miata was over $35,000 with the options I wanted.
2. no glove compartment any more
3. the Mrs. hated the passenger side b/c of the I think it's called the heat tunnel which limited leg room.
4. still had the body roll the my NC had.

So crossed shopped the 86 and was sold!
1. Got the new 86 GT for 26,000 before tax- more money for mods if I wanted to.
2. "larger" trunk, a glove box, and just a feeling the interior was more roomy
3. passenger side leg room was great - happy wife happy life
4. much less body roll
5. coupe - since I rarely had top down.
6. back seats for more storage (bags of snacks/drinks thrown there for our trips)

I have to admit that even though the manual in the 86 is nice, it is not as slick as the Miata which shifts like butter.
TooSlow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TooSlow For This Useful Post:
AnalogMan (01-12-2019), humfrz (01-06-2019)
Old 01-06-2019, 11:35 AM   #18
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I haven't driven the ND yet, but I've driven a lot of NA-NC gen Miatas. For street driving I think they've got the edge over the FR-S for fun. Mainly because of the top-down aspect but also some of the smaller details that add up -- shifter/clutch is better, visibility is panoramic, even more analog feel to the car, smaller dimensions, etc. I would imagine the ND is more of the same. If you don't need the practicality of the FR-S (or in my case, want a coupe for track use), then I think that's the way to go.

I owned a 350z for a bit and test-drove a 370z. Also solid cars, but even further from that light/nimble feel that you get from the Miata and FR-S. I think "Japanese pony car" is a great description for them. I'd rather have a Mustang GT if you want a car like that.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
AnalogMan (01-12-2019)
Old 01-06-2019, 02:13 PM   #19
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Don't forget the Corvette and Cayman and, if you're crazy, 4C.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 04:33 PM   #20
NCtoBRZ

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP WRB
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
I haven't driven the ND yet, but I've driven a lot of NA-NC gen Miatas. For street driving I think they've got the edge over the FR-S for fun. Mainly because of the top-down aspect but also some of the smaller details that add up -- shifter/clutch is better, visibility is panoramic, even more analog feel to the car, smaller dimensions, etc. I would imagine the ND is more of the same. If you don't need the practicality of the FR-S (or in my case, want a coupe for track use), then I think that's the way to go.

I owned a 350z for a bit and test-drove a 370z. Also solid cars, but even further from that light/nimble feel that you get from the Miata and FR-S. I think "Japanese pony car" is a great description for them. I'd rather have a Mustang GT if you want a car like that.
The OP indicated that his wife does not like convertibles and so he wouldn’t drive much with the top down. The ND is light, but is the least “analog” of the Miatas... especially the poorly implemented electronic steering. The BRZ is lauded as having amongst the best electronic steering in the world and I don’t doubt it. The steering was so nearly perfect on my NC Miata that it was a big let down when I test drove the ND.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
Don't forget the Corvette and Cayman and, if you're crazy, 4C.
Nice cars... all of which have a base price that is roughly double that of the BRZ base price and were likely not mentioned by the OP for that very reason. If we are using the “well buy a used one!” excuse, the sky is the limit with options of used cars that may have little to no warranty left and overal higher cost of ownership.
NCtoBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 04:46 PM   #21
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,098 Times in 2,048 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Am I blind, or has nobody mentioned the Infinit G37? I know they can't be had BRAND NEW anymore, but 2016 really isn't that old, and it's a fantastic compromise between the badass looking 370Z, and being a sedan.
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
AnalogMan (01-12-2019)
Old 01-06-2019, 05:24 PM   #22
JIM THEO

Drives: BRZ 2018
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Except aesthetics, style, size etc bear in mind BRZ/MX5 ND are cars that respond from 0 to 10 of their limits linearly while 370Z is a car that you enjoy until say 7-8/10 of it's limit but after that you should be more focused and careful, I'd add a Cayman in your choices!
JIM THEO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JIM THEO For This Useful Post:
fatoni (01-06-2019)
Old 01-06-2019, 10:47 PM   #23
AnalogMan

Drives: 2019 BRZ Limited 6 speed Red
Thanked 1,012 Times in 338 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Thank you so much again everyone! Your perspectives and experiences comparing the cars are helpful and greatly appreciated.

thill, I'm not considering the WRX, Focus RS, or GTI for the superficial and ridiculous reason that I don't like 4-doors. It's just my wife and I, have no need of a back seat, and I personally just like the look of a coupe better. I'm also reluctant to consider most 'German' cars because of less than satisfying personal past experiences with reliability of VW products.

The Cayman is beautiful and a fantastic drive. But I just can't bring myself to own a car where I can't see the engine (it's in a sealed compartment and the primary access is from underneath, unless you spend half an hour taking the interior panels apart for an inaccessible sneak peak at it). I also just can't abide having to go to the Porsche dealer and paying $400 for an oil change. I've also seen too many comments on forums about how owing a Porsche out of warranty can be financially very painful.

I did think about the Corvette. Used C7's can be had for a fair amount less than new cost. But, I'm skeptical of GM reliability (we're all victims of our own past experiences, and my ownership experiences with post-1980's GM products has been less than stellar). I'm open to used, but the older and more miles, the more reticent I become - I've seen some real disasters on the used car market.

The Alfa 4C, well, there's no question about reliability there - there probably isn't any - but the lack of a manual transmission keeps me away (I'm very old-skool, it has to be a stick).

DarkPira7e, I love the G37 coupe. I've owned 3 of them in the past, 2004, 2008, 2012. I still deeply regret selling my 2012 to get the Mustang GT. I've been looking for a clean, low-mileage one ever since (with a stick), but haven't found any on the market.

This weekend I test drove a car that wasn't previously on the list, but is now - the 2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe. Yes, FWD doesn't have the same 'feel' as RWD. But the performance and practicality of the car - not to mention the value - is hard to argue.

So now it's pretty much down to the BRZ vs the Civic Si, since the Miata (just couldn't put the top down unless I was alone) and the 370Z (terrible visibility and limited carrying capacity) are (mostly) off the list.
AnalogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 11:31 PM   #24
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,332 Times in 1,348 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
If you're looking at a Civic si you may as well test dive a Veloster N

new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to new2subaru For This Useful Post:
AnalogMan (01-12-2019), EAGLE5 (01-07-2019)
Old 01-07-2019, 08:30 AM   #25
JIM THEO

Drives: BRZ 2018
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Although old with previous gen BRZ/GT86 those videos may help you in your decision:
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUhLXvxlQR4[/ame]
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aI-WkHBUFN4&t=2s[/ame]
JIM THEO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JIM THEO For This Useful Post:
AnalogMan (01-12-2019)
Old 01-07-2019, 11:37 AM   #26
AnalogMan

Drives: 2019 BRZ Limited 6 speed Red
Thanked 1,012 Times in 338 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
JIM_THEO, thank you for the videos!

new2subaru, I've been watching the news on the Veloster N. It looks interesting. I've rented Velosters a few times on trips. It's not a bad car, and certainly has character. I'd love to test drive one, but haven't found any in stock at any local dealers yet. At the price and with the performance, it certainly seems like a bargain for for the level of performance it offers.
AnalogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 12:09 PM   #27
ST185RC

Drives: White Out FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
well, this car is kinda known as the budget cayman.... so there's that. You don't need a lot of power in a car to have fun.
ST185RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 01:06 PM   #28
WolfpackS2k

Drives: '12 C63 P31, '23 GRC
Thanked 2,074 Times in 1,186 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogMan View Post
Thank you so much again everyone! Your perspectives and experiences comparing the cars are helpful and greatly appreciated.

The Cayman is beautiful and a fantastic drive. But I just can't bring myself to own a car where I can't see the engine (it's in a sealed compartment and the primary access is from underneath, unless you spend half an hour taking the interior panels apart for an inaccessible sneak peak at it). I also just can't abide having to go to the Porsche dealer and paying $400 for an oil change. I've also seen too many comments on forums about how owing a Porsche out of warranty can be financially very painful.

This weekend I test drove a car that wasn't previously on the list, but is now - the 2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe. Yes, FWD doesn't have the same 'feel' as RWD. But the performance and practicality of the car - not to mention the value - is hard to argue.

So now it's pretty much down to the BRZ vs the Civic Si, since the Miata (just couldn't put the top down unless I was alone) and the 370Z (terrible visibility and limited carrying capacity) are (mostly) off the list.
As the owner of a Cayman for the last 5 years, I can say financially it's a lot easier than most people think. This is assuming you perform a fair amount of your own maintenance. Accessing the engine isn't that difficult; popping off the covers is pretty straight forward (but rarely necessary). A dealership oil change is $250-300, not $400 (though I suppose that could vary by location). I'm sure a German shop would do it for less than $200. Sounds high, but the engine takes 9 quarts of synthetic so even when I do oil changes myself at home it still costs me about $80 (MobilOne 0w40 5 qt jugs are $25 at Walmart, filter element is roughly $25). All that aside, they're quite reliable; and I take mine to the track. 105,000 miles on mine and nothing but routine maintenance at this point (other than failure of both window regulators).

Still, I think a BRZ is more what you're going for...

Civic Si - really? Oh God man, please no. You can do way way better. The fewer ugly cars on the road the better.