follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 02-08-2015, 10:04 PM   #2465
THEmailman

Drives: Raven 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Two questions:

1. When going into a turn that requires you to downshift two gears, is it better to go through each until you reach the desired gear or to just slow down enough then place it in the desired gear? I would heel/toe regardless....

2. I was at CMP this weekend and changed tires at the track. The installer informed me that i have two bent wheels, but to my eye i can't tell. He was able to balance them out just fine but is it a good idea to replace them immediately, or can i potentially be fine for a while? I honestly can't tell a difference when driving and because I really only drive to and from the track, this could have happened almost a year ago when I installed the wheels. ...
Goodridge SS brake lines//ProjectMu 999's//Motul DOT 5.1 brake fluid//GrimmSpeed master cylinder brace//Jackson Racing Oil Cooler//Whiteline camber bolts//Raceseng CamCas plates//Kosei K4R 17x8//BFGoodrich Rivals 225/45

THEmailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 10:27 PM   #2466
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,181 Times in 6,837 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by troek View Post
no i have a usps address, it ships to san francisco, then the military picks it up from there. im assuming the site is set up to work with UPS, and i can only use USPS.
Ah, in that case, we can help you

PM me.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
troek (02-08-2015)
Old 02-08-2015, 10:27 PM   #2467
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by acro View Post
I am looking for a helmet

I narrowed it to the Racequip sportmod vs Zamp FSA-2 vs zamp RZ 34

There are no shops that sell helmets anywhere near me so it will have to be an interenet order. Thanks in advance
I'd take a HJC over a ZAMP for an entry level helmet.
Old 02-08-2015, 10:29 PM   #2468
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEmailman View Post
Two questions:

1. When going into a turn that requires you to downshift two gears, is it better to go through each until you reach the desired gear or to just slow down enough then place it in the desired gear? I would heel/toe regardless....

2. I was at CMP this weekend and changed tires at the track. The installer informed me that i have two bent wheels, but to my eye i can't tell. He was able to balance them out just fine but is it a good idea to replace them immediately, or can i potentially be fine for a while? I honestly can't tell a difference when driving and because I really only drive to and from the track, this could have happened almost a year ago when I installed the wheels. ...
1. You don't need to let the clutch out in every gear, you should at least go into the gate for the gear. For example, 4th to 2nd, while braking, clutch in, go into the gate for 3rd, then go into the gate for 2nd, blip, clutch out. This reduces synchro load, and consequently, wear.

2. If they balance fine, and aren't leaking, keep using them. Keep in mind that they won't be as strong since the structure is now compromised.
Old 02-08-2015, 10:35 PM   #2469
troek

Drives: 2012 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Ah, in that case, we can help you

PM me.
Sorry i was in a bit of a hurry and already placed an order with another site. You definitely have my business for futur purchases of this, and hopefully more products.
troek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 11:54 PM   #2470
acro

Drives: GT-86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
I'd take a HJC over a ZAMP for an entry level helmet.

Any particular reason.

At the moment the AR-10 is $100 mopre expensive than the zamp rz 34
acro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 12:15 AM   #2471
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by acro View Post
Any particular reason.

At the moment the AR-10 is $100 mopre expensive than the zamp rz 34
It's a bit more, but you get a lot more helmet for your dollar. I've used both extensively at some driving schools, and the HJC is just flat out better built, and will last you a lot longer.
acro (02-09-2015)
Old 02-09-2015, 02:05 AM   #2472
ddeflyer

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
I used a HJC SI-12 for a long time and it was really great.

One comment with any helmet though: use a head sock / balaclava. It helps reduce the wear on the chin pads. I ended up wearing through my chin pads and had to send my helmet off for warranty service. HJC was great about getting it fixed, but I would have liked it better if I didn't have to deal with any warranty stuff.

No idea where it leads next!
ddeflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ddeflyer For This Useful Post:
acro (02-09-2015), CSG Mike (02-09-2015)
Old 02-09-2015, 11:34 AM   #2473
Jonsey

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
I have a question on track etiquette.

This weekend I was working on my line into the fastest corner on the local track, slight right hander coming up over a hill. I had always late apexed it, mainly out of fear because there is not a ton of room to run off on the left side of the track, and was always pinching the corner and scrubbing speed. I was working on apexing earlier and carrying more speed through the corner, I was able to add about 5 mph.

The first lap of the next session I ended up apexing a bit too early and went four off just outside the track and the guy behind me followed me and went two off. We have been at several events together and have become acquaintances. He came up after the session and told me I threw some rocks up when I went off that cracked his windshield. I felt pretty bad and apologized. He seemed to be fishing for me to pay for the windshield, but I had always heard that each driver is responsible for the damage to their car on track regardless of whose fault.

What are your guys thoughts on the situation and how would you handle it?

Video added - because who doesn't like seeing others mistakes. Sorry for the poor quality.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyP910TAEhE"]Ricochet - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited by Jonsey; 02-09-2015 at 01:35 PM.
Jonsey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jonsey For This Useful Post:
acro (02-09-2015)
Old 02-09-2015, 12:14 PM   #2474
ddeflyer

IANAL, but your description sounds like a "racing incident", ie. the kind of damage that just happens on a track. The key point of liability, to me, is when negligence comes into play. Since going four off is something that happens and is accepted (and should be avoided), I personally wouldn't expect that rocks being kicked up in the process to be seen as extraordinary conditions worthy of any liability on your part.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ddeflyer For This Useful Post:
acro (02-09-2015), Jonsey (02-09-2015)
Old 02-09-2015, 12:22 PM   #2475
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonsey View Post

This weekend I was working on my line into the fastest corner on the local track, slight right hander coming up over a hill. I had always late apexed it, mainly out of fear because there is not a ton of room to run off on the left side of the track, and was always pinching the corner and scrubbing speed. I was working on apexing earlier and carrying more speed through the corner, I was able to add about 5 mph.

The first lap of the next session I ended up apexing a bit too early and went four off just outside the track and the guy behind me followed me and went two off. We have been at several events together and have become acquaintances. He came up after the session and told me I threw some rocks up when I went off that cracked his windshield. I felt pretty bad and apologized. He seemed to be fishing for me to pay for the windshield, but I had always heard that each driver is responsible for the damage to their car on track regardless of whose fault.

Everyone is on their own when it comes to damage. If you want to cover his damage, it is up to you, but do not ever expect it to be reciprocated.

Now if there had been an incident that was 100% your fault, then you may want to consider helping out the other party, but in this case, a cracked windshield is nobody's fault; it just happens.
Jonsey (02-09-2015)
Old 02-09-2015, 12:45 PM   #2476
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Drives: Canada
Location: I rock a beat harder than you can beat it with rocks
Thanked 2,506 Times in 1,268 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:

lol, fuck him.

unless you threw those rocks at him yourself, out the side window while flipping the bird, then it's just tough luck.

And if anything, more his fault than yours, seems like he was following you so close that he made the same mistake in corner entry... that's like one of the biggest no-no's in racing/lapping, don't let the driver in front of you zone you into a tunnel.

It sucks that his glass got scratched but it ain't your problem.
Old 02-09-2015, 01:41 PM   #2477
ddeflyer

Quote:

Video added - because who doesn't like seeing others mistakes. Sorry for the poor quality.

Wow, it looks like you almost spun it there!

In the future, it would be better if you went to zero lock a tad bit sooner to get the weight off the outside wheels; you don't want to have them dig in and roll the car.

Old 02-09-2015, 01:48 PM   #2478
Jonsey

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
You are right, I should have gone zero lock a tad bit sooner, however, it never felt close to a spin or out of control. Perhaps I am missing something, but I don't see it in the video either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeflyer View Post
Wow, it looks like you almost spun it there!

In the future, it would be better if you went to zero lock a tad bit sooner to get the weight off the outside wheels; you don't want to have them dig in and roll the car.
Jonsey is offline   Reply With Quote