follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 12-11-2014, 10:03 PM   #2283
enivid

Drives: WRB JR BRZED
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
They'll start to click on load changes before they go completely. You'll know they're starting to fail if you look for the right signs.

The OSG is different, but I wouldn't necessarily class it better or worse. A properly set up differential will do exactly what you want, regardless of brand. The OSG, I believe is more forgiving to less optimal setups, but we prefer to get the best setup we can, not just "good enough". We're still testing one on our car.
Yeah on the rear drivers side, I hear a click every time I let off the gas.
enivid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 10:40 PM   #2284
sw20kosh

Drives: 2013 Black FR-S
Thanked 2,014 Times in 990 Posts
Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by enivid View Post
Yep your axles are going.

I had the same click for about 1 yr and then it finally turned into a CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK when accelerating in 1st gear from a stop. Driver's side bearing was demolished. DriveShaftShop axles installed and no more noises.
Old 12-12-2014, 03:39 AM   #2285
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,187 Times in 6,839 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by enivid View Post
You'll need to change it eventually...
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 01:57 PM   #2286
Reaper
in orbe terrum non visi

Drives: violent
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
I come from the 2 wheel world and stuff myself into corners pretty hard dragging the rear wheel by being hard on the clutch coming in. Now I know this is NOT a car technique but with a 6 puck clutch and how light this car is I did it today not even thinking about it. With heavy front weight transfer on the brakes I can trail brake/drag the rear with good control over the rpms and grip with the clutch. Now there is no way the clutch would take the heat doing this corner after corner but has anyone experienced done this on purpose in the 4 wheel world? I was surprised it worked.
Old 12-22-2014, 02:00 PM   #2287
Reaper
in orbe terrum non visi

Damn that sounds stupid now that I read it. I really just need more low speed compression dampening in the front.
Old 12-23-2014, 12:26 AM   #2288
Campo

Drives:
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I come from the two wheel world too and it doesn't sound that dumb. But then again, I drive an auto FRS now, so stupid is as stupid does.

Sent from Tapatalk
Campo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Campo For This Useful Post:
Reaper (12-23-2014)
Old 12-23-2014, 01:41 AM   #2289
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
I come from the 2 wheel world and stuff myself into corners pretty hard dragging the rear wheel by being hard on the clutch coming in. Now I know this is NOT a car technique but with a 6 puck clutch and how light this car is I did it today not even thinking about it. With heavy front weight transfer on the brakes I can trail brake/drag the rear with good control over the rpms and grip with the clutch. Now there is no way the clutch would take the heat doing this corner after corner but has anyone experienced done this on purpose in the 4 wheel world? I was surprised it worked.
Clutch kick? Trail clutch? Totally legit.
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Campo (12-23-2014)
Old 12-23-2014, 11:08 AM   #2290
OkieSnuffBox

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,233 Times in 705 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:

I tracked on 2 wheels a long time ago as well.

I'm guessing you had a newer bike with a slipper clutch?
OkieSnuffBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 12:14 PM   #2291
Reaper
in orbe terrum non visi

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
I tracked on 2 wheels a long time ago as well.

I'm guessing you had a newer bike with a slipper clutch?
I have a ducati with an adjustable slipper that I usually keep maxed out and a suzuki drag bike I took the slipper out of. I also have a RM125 2 stroke and if you know anything about little 2 strokes you beat the snot out of the clutch everytime you ride.
After showing my friend in the rain he showed me my technique seems to be popular in the RWD rally world. @CSG Mike I like the term "trail clutch"
OkieSnuffBox (12-23-2014)
Old 12-23-2014, 12:33 PM   #2292
CSG Mike

Quote:
I have a ducati with an adjustable slipper that I usually keep maxed out and a suzuki drag bike I took the slipper out of. I also have a RM125 2 stroke and if you know anything about little 2 strokes you beat the snot out of the clutch everytime you ride.
After showing my friend in the rain he showed me my technique seems to be popular in the RWD rally world. @CSG Mike I like the term "trail clutch"
Trail clutch is the technically correct term for what I think you're doing, if I'm thinking the right thing :p
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Reaper (12-23-2014)
Old 12-23-2014, 01:31 PM   #2293
OkieSnuffBox

Quote:
I have a ducati with an adjustable slipper that I usually keep maxed out

Yeah I had an '04 R6 many years ago, and it didn't have a slipper clutch.

When I went to the track I was just trying to have fun, so I'd just let the rear get loose under braking and go with it. I suspect it's why I picked up driving on 4 wheels rather quickly.
Old 12-23-2014, 01:39 PM   #2294
Reaper
in orbe terrum non visi

My clutch/rear brake has long been my traction control. Valentino rossi used to STAND on his rear brake while wide open throttle exiting corners and then slowly let up on the brake to modulate wheelspin.
solidONE (12-30-2014)
Old 12-23-2014, 02:04 PM   #2295
OkieSnuffBox

Quote:
My clutch/rear brake has long been my traction control. Valentino rossi used to STAND on his rear brake while wide open throttle exiting corners and then slowly let up on the brake to modulate wheelspin.

Oh wow, I never knew that about his style.

I just always used my right hand, brake, turn-in, maintenance throttle to right before apex and roll back in the throttle as you're standing the bike up.

I was much more comfortable sliding the bike around on the throttle than using the brakes.
Old 12-30-2014, 12:31 AM   #2296
mdecoste

Drives: 2013 white FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
This thread is awesome (although admittedly I'm only about halfway reading through). Thanks Mike and everyone else for sharing your time and knowledge! Couple questions:
You mentioned tracking without a tune being damaging to the car. Is this something I should be concerned about? I bought my car in may 2013. Started tracking this summer and I go about once per month.

Also, after my last track day, I noticed the cap of my brake fluid reservoir had a bunch of green gunk on it. I'm assuming that the fluid has absorbed some water and it's time for a flush. I'm using torque rt700 and it has been through about 7 months of daily driving and 5 track days. Is that about what to expect for longevity?

Lastly, here's a video from buttonwillow earlier this month. If you guys have a few min, any constructive criticism would be appreciated! I feel I could definitely improve on my braking and corner entry speed.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1Kx3KKBCFw"]FRS Buttonwillow Dec 2014 open track - YouTube[/ame]
mdecoste is offline   Reply With Quote