follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 12-28-2014, 05:36 PM   #183
Ultramaroon
extra what?

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,813 Times in 19,087 Posts
Mentioned: 1111 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
I don't know that feeling. Tell me more.
oh, bullshit. you know it.
Old 12-28-2014, 05:43 PM   #184
SciOnDrifTtSlIdeR
Drifter

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Send a message via MSN to SciOnDrifTtSlIdeR
i cant justify buying an automatic sports car if i were a woman that might make sense tho
SciOnDrifTtSlIdeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 01:11 AM   #185
iag48st

Drives: 10Series 0945
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRiSson View Post
The thing I don't like about automatics is that it makes your right foot dominant. Your left foot just rests on the "dummy" pedal, while the right makes all the decisions and does all the work. This leads to an inherent bodily and mental imbalance when driving an automatic.

In Eastern medicine, balance between the sides of the body is extremely important. They are not fools, they know that you are only as strong as your weakest point. They also know that what happens on one side of the body (or doesn't happen) is reflected on the other side.

I employee an X-balance system. The right hand handles the shifting, the left foot handles the clutch, the left hand holds the steering wheel (most of the time) and the right foot the gas.

So.... let me ask folks these questions ---
When you drive an automatic car after driving a manual:
Don't you feel that something is missing?
Don't you feel that one whole side of your body has been in a kind of suspended animation?
Doesn't your left foot seem as useless and forlorn as teats on a bull?
Don't you have a powerful urge to operate a clutch for a while just to work out the kinks resulting from not using your left leg?
After getting home from work in my manual miata, I sometimes jump in the AT 86 for a drive. EVERY TIME my damn left foot goes searching for clutch, overtime I upshift I liff-throttle and my left foot searches for clutch. I always drive in manual so my right hand is always occupied.
iag48st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 04:52 AM   #186
s2d4

Drives: R32 GTR, AW11 MR2 SC, GTS86 R
Thanked 1,223 Times in 708 Posts
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
The thing I don't like about automatics is that it makes your right foot dominant. Your left foot just rests on the "dummy" pedal, while the right makes all the decisions and does all the work. This leads to an inherent bodily and mental imbalance when driving an automatic.

In Eastern medicine, balance between the sides of the body is extremely important. They are not fools, they know that you are only as strong as your weakest point. They also know that what happens on one side of the body (or doesn't happen) is reflected on the other side.

I employee an X-balance system. The right hand handles the shifting, the left foot handles the clutch, the left hand holds the steering wheel (most of the time) and the right foot the gas.

So.... let me ask folks these questions ---
When you drive an automatic car after driving a manual:
Don't you feel that something is missing?
Don't you feel that one whole side of your body has been in a kind of suspended animation?
Doesn't your left foot seem as useless and forlorn as teats on a bull?
Don't you have a powerful urge to operate a clutch for a while just to work out the kinks resulting from not using your left leg?
Nope, not at all. When you have enough skills and experience driving both, it comes naturally.
Old 12-29-2014, 01:16 PM   #187
FlamingRectumSyndrome
Shriveled Old Member

Drives: 14 Hot Lava FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewbot View Post
How many of you use your camera with manual exposure and focusing? I bet not many

Sent from my OnePlus One
For many of the same reasons, yes, I prefer the greater creative capabilities of being able to choose the shutter speed and aperture myself. And I've had at least one camera that had a completely stupid autofocus that made it particularly aggravating to use. Manual control coupled with a human brain!
FlamingRectumSyndrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 01:23 PM   #188
02.ACCORD.DUDE
Car N00B

Drives: Honda Accord (2002)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
If you drive an automatic there's always going to be some sort of ridicule that comes from car enthusiasts. But the truth of the matter is... Who cares?

If you're set on a car, and can't / don't drive manual - making the only available option for you automatic - buy the automatic and enjoy the ride.
02.ACCORD.DUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 01:26 PM   #189
continuecrushing

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FRS
Thanked 2,144 Times in 1,003 Posts
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
if you want an auto, get an auto.

If you drive a lot with traffic, auto might be nice...
continuecrushing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 02:03 PM   #190
torqdork

Drives: RV-7
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
I left-foot brake A/T's, great for trail braking more smoothly than having to heel-toe rev match and trail brake an M/T.

That sometimes makes for excitement overload when I switch vehicles during the day and step on the clutch pedal expecting braking and it goes to the floor before I remember what I'm driving.

Still, despite the outstanding A/T in the twins, I'll take an M/T in this type of car every time b/c I'm a control freak.

@drewbot, true about shooting manually but the way I separate amatuers from enthusiasts is whether they shoot RAW or .jpegs.
torqdork is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to torqdork For This Useful Post:
Koa (12-30-2014)
Old 12-30-2014, 01:12 PM   #191
Koa
Sweeper

Drives: '02 RA Bugeye | '15 FRS
Thanked 1,488 Times in 788 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by torqdork View Post
I left-foot brake A/T's, great for trail braking more smoothly than having to heel-toe rev match and trail brake an M/T.

That sometimes makes for excitement overload when I switch vehicles during the day and step on the clutch pedal expecting braking and it goes to the floor before I remember what I'm driving.

Still, despite the outstanding A/T in the twins, I'll take an M/T in this type of car every time b/c I'm a control freak.

@drewbot, true about shooting manually but the way I separate amatuers from enthusiasts is whether they shoot RAW or .jpegs.
Anyone can change photo format. It's much more impressive and indicative of professionalism when discerning whether or not they have the photographer's 'eye'. Vague and not well quantified, I know, but when you see their work, you know either they got it or they don't- no matter the medium or format type

I.E my friend Connor.. man can he shoot. One of the best in the PNW, and to me, the world (biased of course ). I mean, just LOOK at these beautiful shots.

http://www.connorsurdi.jp/
Koa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Koa For This Useful Post:
torqdork (12-30-2014), Ultramaroon (12-30-2014)
Old 12-30-2014, 01:22 PM   #192
torqdork

Drives: RV-7
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koa View Post
Anyone can change photo format. It's much more impressive and indicative of professionalism when discerning whether or not they have the photographer's 'eye'. Vague and not well quantified, I know, but when you see their work, you know either they got it or they don't- no matter the medium or format type

I.E my friend Connor.. man can he shoot. One of the best in the PNW, and to me, the world (biased of course )

http://www.connorsurdi.jp/
All true, RAW is just a start but a good one since the greater information provides a baseline to manipulate and convert to other formats. You can't convert .jpg to RAW.

Yeah, Connor has it going. He could shoot museum quality with a phone. It's been an ongoing adventure for me. Here's one of my favorite reference books that's been helpful over the years both for film and digital:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/The-Art-Photography-Approach-Expression/dp/1933952687"]The Art of Photography: An Approach to Personal Expression: Bruce Barnbaum: 8601200915358: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]
torqdork is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to torqdork For This Useful Post:
Koa (12-30-2014)
Old 12-30-2014, 02:01 PM   #193
Koa
Sweeper

Drives: '02 RA Bugeye | '15 FRS
Thanked 1,488 Times in 788 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by torqdork View Post
All true, RAW is just a start but a good one since the greater information provides a baseline to manipulate and convert to other formats. You can't convert .jpg to RAW.

Yeah, Connor has it going. He could shoot museum quality with a phone. It's been an ongoing adventure for me. Here's one of my favorite reference books that's been helpful over the years both for film and digital:

The Art of Photography: An Approach to Personal Expression: Bruce Barnbaum: 8601200915358: Amazon.com: Books
Awesome, I'll grab that one up I'm an enthusiast and my fiancee as well. We just picked up a 7D and a couple lenses from a friend to play around with, can't wait to dive into it.

As a passionate musician and digital recording junkie, I completely understand and agree with your point about seeking the highest fidelity, lossless format being key. RAW is to JPEG as WAV is to MP3 All source samples at least have to be 320kbs MP3 @ a respectable sampling rate, but nothing beats WAV files.
Koa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Koa For This Useful Post:
torqdork (12-30-2014)
Old 12-30-2014, 02:09 PM   #194
FRiSson

Drives: FR-S MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2d4 View Post
Nope, not at all. When you have enough skills and experience driving both, it comes naturally.
Gosh, you're so smart, I must not have any experience driving MT's and AT's. I guess what comes naturally to you only comes to others the hard way, like through a series of concussions.
FRiSson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 02:28 PM   #195
s2d4

Drives: R32 GTR, AW11 MR2 SC, GTS86 R
Thanked 1,223 Times in 708 Posts
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Gosh, you're so smart, I must not have any experience driving MT's and AT's. I guess what comes naturally to you only comes to others the hard way, like through a series of concussions.
Lol OK, sorry I can drive both with zero issues you have.
Old 12-30-2014, 02:50 PM   #196
Defuser
Remember

Drives: 2015 Asphalt
Dammit, I was hoping this thread would devolve into a right-wing/left-wing poo-slinging extravaganza.

Somehow it only got as far as a photo skills debate?! (Not including the masturbation innuendos of course)

I am disappoint.