follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

Register and become an FT86Club.com member. You will see fewer ads

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-06-2013, 02:00 PM   #57
2forme
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Location: MA
Posts: 2,974
Thanks: 972
Thanked 1,552 Times in 843 Posts
Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Thought I'd poke my head in here. I have Drag DR50s. They were 370$ shipped for all 4 brand new. Fit and finish is actually very nice (yes, even close up). They are black with a machined face. They weighed 17.1 lbs/rim which is considerably lighter than stock.

I don't care if they are knockoffs or not. They have held up very well (even with Mass roads - some of the crappiest in the country). Plus I like not having to worry a lot if I nail a big pot hole. The rim is cheap enough to replace.

I never understood the people who pay 500+ a rim. I'd rather spend more money on other features of the car.
2forme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:11 PM   #58
OmarGC
My FR-S has 5 gears
 
OmarGC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Drives: FRS/280z/Tundra
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 1,993
Thanks: 626
Thanked 1,065 Times in 572 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
I have multiple sets of "baller jdm" wheels... And I'm down to rock knock offs to... Use them as spares and for burn tires.
__________________
Omar GC

2JZ - 6870 - stock block - 1000whp?

Instagram: 2jzus
OmarGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 03:07 PM   #59
eljefe
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Drives: SS BRZ LMTD 6MT, 92 Civic hatch RHD
Location: Texas
Posts: 112
Thanks: 30
Thanked 30 Times in 21 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I currently have gram lights on my race car. But im not gonna slap some 2000 dollar wheels on my daily driver, which is the BRZ. I drive it everywhere. Potholes, curbs, hell ive already curb rashed one of my stock wheels trying to get out of a tight parking spot. You better believe im buying some Rota RT5's for the BRZ when its time to get new tires. Then one day when i retire the BRZ to weekend duty, i will put some RAYS or Work wheels on it.
eljefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:43 PM   #60
Pete
Senior Member
 
Pete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Drives: 22 BRZ
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 615
Thanks: 1,341
Thanked 478 Times in 230 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Thanks @op, I was wondering about the drag wheels too. Unfortunately now I am still undecided. Maybe I'll get some rotas lol.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:51 AM   #61
mbh1101
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Drives: Raven 6mt FR-S
Location: Chester, Va.
Posts: 145
Thanks: 31
Thanked 21 Times in 18 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Im 22. broke as hell. If i have 1k+ to spare on wheels, im putting it down on that loan. Ordered drag dr9s for $520 shipped and my ride still turns heads.
mbh1101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:31 AM   #62
JDMenrique
DEEEERP
 
JDMenrique's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S 6MT
Location: Buzzards Bay, MA
Posts: 1,341
Thanks: 333
Thanked 913 Times in 434 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
There was an instance when I went to a car meet and was parked between 2 other members of this forum. Member A has a crowd around his car when a spectator says he loves his wheels(RacingHarts). Member A turns around and points to my car and says "I really love his wheels", the spectator turns around with a grin and says "nah man, those are piece of shit Rotas".

There was also another time when we did a cruise to a parking garage with a number of 86's. Member B from the previous story was approached by another member of this forum saying "man, I'm really thinking about getting some Work Emotions but I just really want to see what they look like on the car". Member B tells Member C that Enrique has those wheels and to check them out. Member C says "no way, I thought those were Drags".

I spent a good amount of money on my setup not because I want to be better than anyone but because I wanted to do it right the first time. As stated before, I dont have an issue with Rota, Drag or XXR, but if they're replicas they're fake in my eyes. Why copy another manufacture? Why not create something original? Its like owning a Honda Civic and some Dbag rolls up in a Ronda Mimic saying he's just as good as you. Its pathetic.
__________________
JDMenrique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:36 AM   #63
f0rge
head of infinite swagger
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Drives: 2013 FR-S 6MT
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,577
Thanks: 238
Thanked 556 Times in 378 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
I went with real Works, I don't like copies, I have no issues with Rota or Drag rims but if I'm going for a specific look I want the real deal, not a cheaper imitation.

Same reason I don't have a Sorny TV or a myphone.
__________________
2019 Golf R 6MT - current daily...I need another coupe
2008 Civic Si - winter beater
2000 Silverstone M5 6MT - SOLD
2013 Ultramarine FR-S 6MT - Car Journal - SOLD
2004 AlpineWhite M3 6MT - SOLD
f0rge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:46 AM   #64
Leonardo
Country Boy 4 Life
 
Leonardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Drives: 19' & 06' Ridgelines, 13' FR-S
Location: EUGENE
Posts: 5,228
Thanks: 6,719
Thanked 5,293 Times in 2,720 Posts
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
I work for a manufacturing company. Our product is heavily copied, we fight the influx of fake product all the time. So, I understand the debate over copied wheels and Real wheels. I don't know if wheel design is patentable like our product is. But, Real wheels often are very expensive, which is prohibitive to some guys. Not to mention, if they share their car with a significant other, $1000 each wheels may not be what you want. LOL Scrape! Ooops!

If your car is being raced or tracked, products that have been tested and certified are always better.

I do not like ignorance. If your wheels, or any part for that matter, is a copy or fake, claiming it is real IS NOT COOL. But, on the other side, rocking fakes till you can afford the real deal is what many people choose to do. I have cheap wheels, I share my car, I also had no $$$ after buying said car.

I don't hate on guys rolling drags. I also don't like it when they don't know the difference.

Spread knowledge, not hate.
Leonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 12:34 PM   #65
miodculae
FRS Adept
 
miodculae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Drives: Firestorm FRS
Location: NYC
Posts: 171
Thanks: 45
Thanked 32 Times in 22 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Most cars come with OEM cast wheels straight from the factory. Therefore safety is not an issue. OEM cast wheels have No MAT, no flow forming, no additional refinements to add a level of durability that will probably never prove useful.

Can you imagine the liability issues the Fords of the world would face if they feared their cast wheels might be brittle or spontaneously explode because they're not some three-piece 4K eloctroplated magnesium super-rim hand-forged by Zeus himself ?!?!
miodculae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:44 PM   #66
executivekoala
Senior Member
 
executivekoala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Drives: fr-s
Location: san diego
Posts: 284
Thanks: 7
Thanked 96 Times in 62 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
It all depends on what hit the wheel, just because you have a set of 5k Volks doesnt mean you can hit pot holes and curbs and they will be fine. It matters what angle and how fast the wheel hit whatever is in the road, If you hit a legit wheel at certain angle it will bend,warp or crack no matter how much it cost or how it was forged. I came from the VIP scene where all we rocked was real rims and I would bend the shit out of my Walds and Lowenharts all day but I gave up and got HR3's and they still bent but I cared less. It just about what you prefer, these threads always just degrade into a flame war. Shits weak, buy what you like. Also used legit rims are still pretty cheap.
executivekoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 02:35 PM   #67
johnnie
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Drives: GT86
Location: Europe
Posts: 90
Thanks: 25
Thanked 32 Times in 19 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
It's not like every wheel is a great piece of engineering!

How many different designs can you really have? Sure there are some nuances and all, but it's like saying you can't buy that IKEA Chair because it's a copy of an original Eames piece.

Sure i'd rather have the Eames, but life's about compromise.
johnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 03:28 PM   #68
Leonardo
Country Boy 4 Life
 
Leonardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Drives: 19' & 06' Ridgelines, 13' FR-S
Location: EUGENE
Posts: 5,228
Thanks: 6,719
Thanked 5,293 Times in 2,720 Posts
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Life is about compromises...

Wanted



Got.


Sorry got off topic....
Leonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:29 AM   #69
armythug
Senior Member
 
armythug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Drives: Pegasus White 86GTS
Location: Perth WA
Posts: 608
Thanks: 371
Thanked 108 Times in 84 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
It's not my style to buy fake anything. Either I will buy the real thing or I wont buy anything at all and just save up. I would choose the Works. I just bought some Meister S1Rs actually. But to each their own.
__________________
Pegasus White 6MT got it. :happy0180:
armythug is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Work, Rays, Volk, Vossen, Stance, Advan, Wedsport, XXR Wheels and More !!!! IslandImportPerformance Wheels and Tires 1 06-18-2012 07:38 PM
help me decide which work wheels to order??!!! Saibot Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack 23 05-29-2012 09:42 AM
Are 17" wheels too big? Might work 16's work a little better? rogerdalien Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack 46 05-10-2012 10:09 PM
86 Drag car?!?! MtnDrvr86 Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions 5 01-14-2010 06:35 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.