follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 04-27-2013, 01:45 AM   #449
nzer

Drives: 2012 Grey TRD GT86, 2015 VW Golf R
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Well @Narcoden and @2forme you gave me the confidence to give it a go and holy cr*p batman it all went really well!

Unbelievably the T7109A http://www.tradesolution.hk/e/ptxweb...duct/1274.html is an EXACT fit - same width and height. Simply swapped the OEM mounts on the sides over (same screw holes) and it fitted perfectly - no changes to bezel or head unit. Put it all back together and photos below of fitted unit, USB hub I put in glove box and minor issue around connections I need some guidance on.

Turned it on and I have sound etc as well as picture and DVD plays AOK as does music from USB. Haven't yet tried bluetooth and haven't rooted it yet!
@2forme - should I try your files to root it? They did say the units were the same internally.

I only have one issue and that is one of the mail plugs in the dash that was in the original head unit does not match the female sockets on the rear of the T7019A. I think they control the rear speakers as don't think I have sound in the rear but hopefully PLEASE one of you will tell me what I need to do. I have posted below photos of the male plug, the female sockets and the connectors (incl ipod female plug to connect to ipod cable that came with it) that I can't use yet as can't connect them.

Also, don't have an antenna adapter yet.

This has worked out better than I could have hoped - fingers crossed for rooting it. I am pretty pleased with myself as I usually screw this stuff up. Didn't even scratch or damage the dash trims - I did go and buy a dash trim removal tool as I was worried about scratches.

I haven't played with it much yet (kids have played angry birds and played DVDs) but for fitment it is PERFECT.

Seems to be capacitive as I can pinch zoom in and out when kids playing angry birds - is a pinch zoom how you tell?

Fitment below

USB Hub

Male plug that won't fit unit

Female sockets on back of unit

Connectors not used incl ipod and a hole heap of RCAs
Old 04-27-2013, 03:25 AM   #450
nzer

@2forme and @Narcoden now I have the android unit going I am looking at rooting it.

The part I am stuck on is very early on in your instructions @2forme - it is this part:
"2. Copy the files from Hal's RAR file here (mirror, mirror 2) to the root of the SD card. If you have a capacitive version of the unit, use the u-boot-skip.bin.capacitive and rename it without the ".capacitive"".

When I download using the links the only file is 013.1.7.MCU+2.10.6-1-10-1+system+2.12.32+root+bt (1).rar

The T7019A I think is capacitive (I can pinch zoom so does that mean it is?) but don't seem to have a file named "u-boot-skip.bin.capacitive that I can rename without the capacitive on the end.

I know it will be a dumb question but want to avoid bricking it if I can - Help!!!!
Old 04-27-2013, 05:09 AM   #451
nzer

Sorry guys. Another question for you both @2forme and @Narcoden - seems I need heaps of info to set up my 3G Internet connection so happy using wifi until I get hold of my mobile ISP.

I can connect to my home wifi but personal hotspot from my iPhone 4S won't work. The hotspot is not detected at all by the wifi manager in the head unit. I have tried adding it manually but still not detected. What am I doing wrong?

BTW downloaded OB-BRIDGE and Carscope and went into carscope and it asked me to turn on Bluetooth. I said yes and surprise surprise said it couldn't turn Bluetooth on to communicate. I was just kinda hoping it might have come rooted from the factory. Seems not!

Also tested music. Quality over USB from hub sounds good to my ear. Manual says not to have USB music with wifi and 3G dongles in rear but seems to work ok with all three in the hub. Better than having the USB adapter hanging out the front. Bluetooth streaming of music from my iPhone is really crappy - quality so bad not worth listening to. Don't mind though as always found USB or SD to be better anyway.

Last edited by nzer; 04-27-2013 at 05:39 AM.
nzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:12 AM   #452
2forme

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,552 Times in 843 Posts
Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Garage
Try to operate the screen with something plastic. If you can still swipe and stuff, it's resistive. If nothing happens, it's capacitive.

Bluetooth won't work until it's rooted But it's good that the app downloads and launches..
2forme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:21 AM   #453
nzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forme View Post
Try to operate the screen with something plastic. If you can still swipe and stuff, it's resistive. If nothing happens, it's capacitive.

Bluetooth won't work until it's rooted But it's good that the app downloads and launches..
Thanks. Definitely capacitive then. Won't work with plastic but works perfectly with touch.

Still can't believe how well it fitted.

Old 04-27-2013, 08:33 AM   #454
Ghostmerlott

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzer View Post
Sorry guys. Another question for you both @2forme and @Narcoden - seems I need heaps of info to set up my 3G Internet connection so happy using wifi until I get hold of my mobile ISP.

I can connect to my home wifi but personal hotspot from my iPhone 4S won't work. The hotspot is not detected at all by the wifi manager in the head unit. I have tried adding it manually but still not detected. What am I doing wrong?

BTW downloaded OB-BRIDGE and Carscope and went into carscope and it asked me to turn on Bluetooth. I said yes and surprise surprise said it couldn't turn Bluetooth on to communicate. I was just kinda hoping it might have come rooted from the factory. Seems not!

Also tested music. Quality over USB from hub sounds good to my ear. Manual says not to have USB music with wifi and 3G dongles in rear but seems to work ok with all three in the hub. Better than having the USB adapter hanging out the front. Bluetooth streaming of music from my iPhone is really crappy - quality so bad not worth listening to. Don't mind though as always found USB or SD to be better anyway.
Congratulations mate! woo hoo!! :happy0180:

Do you hear difference in sound quality compare to the stock HU?
Ghostmerlott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:49 AM   #455
nzer

@Ghostmerlott even with rear speakers not going yet the sound to me is a zillion times better.

Only issue is the Bluetooth mic seems to leave a bit to be desired. My wife said I sounded very distant. Not sure if a separate mic can be fitted but don't think I saw anything on the back of the unit. Bluetooth calls come through clear but the caller struggles with my voice even talking at the mic.

I'm very happy so far though. Still can't believe it fitted perfectly.

Now just sorting the root files with our good man @2forme - I didn't realise the .rar file is actually like a zip with multiple files in it after extraction. Just going to make sure I have the correct files and then will try and root it. I'm nervous!!!

Old 04-27-2013, 09:00 AM   #456
Ghostmerlott

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
@Ghostmerlott even with rear speakers not going yet the sound to me is a zillion times better.

Only issue is the Bluetooth mic seems to leave a bit to be desired. My wife said I sounded very distant. Not sure if a separate mic can be fitted but don't think I saw anything on the back of the unit. Bluetooth calls come through clear but the caller struggles with my voice even talking at the mic.

I'm very happy so far though. Still can't believe it fitted perfectly.

Now just sorting the root files with our good man @2forme - I didn't realise the .rar file is actually like a zip with multiple files in it after extraction. Just going to make sure I have the correct files and then will try and root it. I'm nervous!!!

Don't think you can do much to the rear speakers without modding anything.. even when you put to max rear output its really soft.. I brought it up to Toyota before and their reply was "they are not speakers, they are actually "exciters""....err...wtf.....
Ghostmerlott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:01 AM   #457
nzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostmerlott View Post
Don't think you can do much to the rear speakers without modding anything.. even when you put to max rear output its really soft.. I brought it up to Toyota before and their reply was "they are not speakers, they are actually "exciters""....err...wtf.....
LOL
Old 04-27-2013, 09:32 AM   #458
nzer

Posted before that i had this issue:
"I can connect to my home wifi but personal hotspot from my iPhone 4S won't work. The hotspot is not detected at all by the wifi manager in the head unit. I have tried adding it manually but still not detected. What am I doing wrong?"

Googled it and found the problem was an apostrophe in my iPhone name. Removed the apostrophe and connects ok.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:51 AM   #459
Narcoden

Drives: '13 Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quote:

I only have one issue and that is one of the mail plugs in the dash that was in the original head unit does not match the female sockets on the rear of the T7019A. I think they control the rear speakers as don't think I have sound in the rear but hopefully PLEASE one of you will tell me what I need to do. I have posted below photos of the male plug, the female sockets and the connectors (incl ipod female plug to connect to ipod cable that came with it) that I can't use yet as can't connect them.

Male plug that won't fit unit

Female sockets on back of unit

Connectors not used incl ipod and a hole heap of RCAs
The first pic I quoted above is the plug that connects the cars built in mic for your hands free phone. It might do some other stuff with the factory radio. You don't use it, just let it hang.

The stuff in the 3rd pic I quoted of your should plug into the spots shown in the 2nd pic I quoted. It's for your iPod/iPhone stuff and to add the RCA connectors for something like an amp.

As for your iPhone issues, I wish I could offer help but I've never owned an Apple device. I'm a hardcore Android guy

What color are the LED's on this unit? Please tell me they are red!

Great job!
Narcoden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:58 AM   #460
Narcoden

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph0en1xtk View Post

That oem usb adapter you posted. do you usually have that in the third port of that hub?
Sorry, now that I'm re-reading this on a full size screen and not my phone, I misunderstood your question.

Yes, you plug that USB adapter into the USB hub. The other end you connect to the factory wiring that runs down to the factory USB port. I just had my phone plugged directly into the hub to illustrate that three things can all run without any issues.

I'm going to take my dash apart one last time and zip tie all the wires up neatly now that I have all the bits and pieces all working.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:18 AM   #461
Narcoden

Here is that oem usb adapter connected up to the USB hub.

Sent from my Nexus 4
Attached Images

Old 04-27-2013, 12:38 PM   #462
nzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narcoden View Post
The first pic I quoted above is the plug that connects the cars built in mic for your hands free phone. It might do some other stuff with the factory radio. You don't use it, just let it hang.

The stuff in the 3rd pic I quoted of your should plug into the spots shown in the 2nd pic I quoted. It's for your iPod/iPhone stuff and to add the RCA connectors for something like an amp.

As for your iPhone issues, I wish I could offer help but I've never owned an Apple device. I'm a hardcore Android guy

What color are the LED's on this unit? Please tell me they are red!

Great job!
@Narcoden thanks for that.

I'll number the issues so you can keep track!

1. So if I have nowhere to plug the first male plug I assume that means I can't wire a separate Bluetooth mic? Shame if that's the case as the built in mic isn't very good.

2. I thought the first plug was meant to do the job of the third but that's cool I'll plug the other two in and use the iPod lead and not worry about the other stuff at this stage.

Then I just need to wire the aerial when my aerial adapter arrives.

3. Posted a little later I sorted the iPhone thing. It was an apostrophe in the device name that android didn't like.

4. I was about to root it. Had all the files but put it in the right micro SD slot and there's nothing there. Only the left slot appears to have the SD micro female slot. So my micro SD simply disappeared inside the unit. Not sure whether to leave it in there or try and take the unit apart to get it out - what do you reckon?

And, on the LEDs, drumroll, they are.............. Green! Bright green unfortunately. The only good news is that they are only on if the headlights are on.

Are you able to give me your opinion on items 1 and 4 please?

Thanks heaps