follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 03-28-2013, 01:33 AM   #127
sittinSideways

Drives: '13 Firestorm FRS
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari PD View Post
Is this the system that maintains aerodynamics? I believe I remember you saying you had issues at the track with the original one. Without the factory muffler in place, there is a fairly large hole for air to get trapped in. It is a little overwhelming how many systems are out there, but I definitely am most concerned with one that is going to maintain the factory aerodynamics.
Is this "hole" created by the Berk muffler delete?
sittinSideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:15 AM   #128
Ari PD

Drives: 2013 BRZ LTD
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sittinSideways View Post
If you look at pictures under the car (or look under your own), you will see that there is a rounded cutout in the underbody where the muffler sits. If you replace this muffler with just a pipe, you are bound to have airflow that would otherwise be sent under the muffler going up into this area and potentially creating rear end lift at a high enough speed. @CSG Mike said that he noticed this when at the track using the original axel back that was just a pipe. That is why I asked him to speak to the new design.

Beyond all that, you're really not looking at serious HP gains by replacing that part of the exhaust. Honestly, one of my main reasons for replacing the factory axelback was for the look. I want larger tips to fill in the area between the rear bump and my factory diffuser.
Ari PD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ari PD For This Useful Post:
sittinSideways (03-28-2013)
Old 03-28-2013, 11:40 AM   #129
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,181 Times in 6,837 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sittinSideways View Post
It sure is. It's not a huge deal though unless you're pushing the limits of the car, and it's enough to push the balance of the car from under to oversteer. I'd be willing to bet it applies to only a handful of cars on this board. While I noticed the difference, it wasn't enough to cause the car to get loose enough to worry me.

I spent the last weekend testing the latest Berk axleback prototype cornering at 90+ mph, at the limits of grip in the CSG BRZ

Quote:
If you look at pictures under the car (or look under your own), you will see that there is a rounded cutout in the underbody where the muffler sits. If you replace this muffler with just a pipe, you are bound to have airflow that would otherwise be sent under the muffler going up into this area and potentially creating rear end lift at a high enough speed. @CSG Mike said that he noticed this when at the track using the original axel back that was just a pipe. That is why I asked him to speak to the new design.

Beyond all that, you're really not looking at serious HP gains by replacing that part of the exhaust. Honestly, one of my main reasons for replacing the factory axelback was for the look. I want larger tips to fill in the area between the rear bump and my factory diffuser.
Exactly. I will pay for a track day out of my own pocket for ANYONE who can prove that they gained power from an axleback on apples to apples comparisons on the same dyno, same day, beyond the error range of the dyno. Just an axleback.

The Berk Muffler Delete is strictly to reduce weight, and it performs it's function 100%

Last edited by CSG Mike; 03-28-2013 at 11:53 AM.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
sittinSideways (03-28-2013)
Old 03-28-2013, 12:10 PM   #130
Kido1986
Dodging cones

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited, 93 Z28
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Exactly. I will pay for a track day out of my own pocket for ANYONE who can prove that they gained power from an axleback on apples to apples comparisons on the same dyno, same day, beyond the error range of the dyno. Just an axleback.

The Berk Muffler Delete is strictly to reduce weight, and it performs it's function 100%
Deletes gain according to DSport - http://dsportmag.com/showcase/exhaus...13-asr-frsmd02

Wasn't Berk's but it's the same thing as their single.

Or am I missing your point? Not arguing, just seeing if this is what you were claiming.
Originally Posted by mrbillclintong View Post
If you guys spot any riced frs/brz post them here just for laughs no hating please.
Isn't there already a thread like this? It's called aggressive wheels or summat...
C Street Build/Progress Questions about C Street Autocrossing?
Kido1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:46 PM   #131
sittinSideways

Drives: '13 Firestorm FRS
Quote:

I see - so wouldn't a axleback rear diffuser solve this issue by covering the hole? Also, wouldn't the hole cause drag, thus negating the weight lost by the muffler delete at higher speeds?

Last edited by sittinSideways; 03-28-2013 at 02:52 PM.
sittinSideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:10 PM   #132
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,181 Times in 6,837 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kido1986 View Post
Deletes gain according to DSport - http://dsportmag.com/showcase/exhaus...13-asr-frsmd02

Wasn't Berk's but it's the same thing as their single.

Or am I missing your point? Not arguing, just seeing if this is what you were claiming.
I find those results difficult to believe, especially by a publication that gets advertising dollars from the product sold.

Independent dynos?
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:50 PM   #133
Kido1986
Dodging cones

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited, 93 Z28
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
I find those results difficult to believe, especially by a publication that gets advertising dollars from the product sold.

Independent dynos?
If I wasn't so damn broke, I'd dyno mine to test this for you.
Originally Posted by mrbillclintong View Post
If you guys spot any riced frs/brz post them here just for laughs no hating please.
Isn't there already a thread like this? It's called aggressive wheels or summat...
C Street Build/Progress Questions about C Street Autocrossing?
Kido1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 05:35 PM   #134
texasbound972
USMC

Drives: 2013 FR-S 6-MT Raven
Garage
I just got Berk Dual Muffler Delete installed the other day. My wife doesn't like it either, she said that she felt the floor vibrate when I started it up in the garage. But I love it! Track pipe should be ready by next Friday.Thanks again Brian!!

Last edited by texasbound972; 06-14-2013 at 05:57 PM.
texasbound972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 02:43 PM   #135
sirsol66

Drives: 2013 FRS- Hot Lava
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I ordered mine from MAP two months ago and berk keeps delaying the order...anyone got an order filled by them recently? I don't mind waiting but two months is kind of rediculous (not maps fault at all)
sirsol66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 02:51 PM   #136
Brentkaty725

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Raven 6MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
^Just ordered mine thursday from CSG, Hope I don't have the same issue with Berk.
Brentkaty725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:24 PM   #137
sirsol66

Drives: 2013 FRS- Hot Lava
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Anybody know off hand what size the Allen key stays are? I've tried both metric and standard, but can't find the right size :-/
sirsol66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:17 PM   #138
sosick
fastest frs in sbg

Drives: sick ass ultramarine frs
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
sick I want to go with this but I just dnt see spending 300 for that thing. im going turbo and I dnt want to waste money on exhaust parts just yet. let me know when u sell lol
sosick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:06 AM   #139
Brentkaty725

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Raven 6MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Got my Berk Dual track pipe the other day and it sounds awesome. Took my 4 and 6 yr old for a ride and both did NOT think it was loud at all, even the wife approves. Thanks to Berk and CSG for the fast delivery and great service!
Brentkaty725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:34 AM   #140
sosick
fastest frs in sbg

Drives: sick ass ultramarine frs
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentkaty725 View Post
Got my Berk Dual track pipe the other day and it sounds awesome. Took my 4 and 6 yr old for a ride and both did NOT think it was loud at all, even the wife approves. Thanks to Berk and CSG for the fast delivery and great service!
How much did u pay for it?
sosick is offline   Reply With Quote