follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List
Koji_Online

Old 03-09-2013, 06:09 AM   #197
BrianJC

Drives: 2013 Hot Lava FRS M/T
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tt3Sheppard View Post
Agreed!

I adjusted mine slightly lower than brake pedal. From what I've noticed though is that it's much easier to burn the clutch with boots on.
Yea, I like mine just a couple of mm above the brake pedal.
BrianJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:52 PM   #198
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 4,001 Times in 2,156 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Gonna have to do this. Glad I'm not the only one who finds the clutch engagement problematic.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:35 AM   #199
Fever

Drives: '13FR-S Ultramarine 6MT
Did the adjustment yesterday, left the clutch pedal just above the brake. Much better feel on the clutch uptake. Very nice. Thanks for the tip.
Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:02 PM   #200
Razzle

Drives: Toyota 86 (High) - White
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Just did this.
It's crazy tight down there. Couldn't move my arms and it cramped up. U need to be a contortionist or a hobbit to work under there.
I also needed a cloth to grab hold of the shaft in order to turn it cause it's quite greasy.

Now I don't have to lift my heel off the floor in order to lift off the clutch. This was the first thing I noticed when I initially test drove the car. Glad it could be adjusted.
Thanx to the OP.
Razzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:11 PM   #201
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 4,001 Times in 2,156 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Garage
Got it done. Pain in the ass. Remember to play with the clutch while turning the shaft in order to make it turn easily. Also have two 14mm wrenches for the sensor or you won't be able to loosen it without twisting the wires and maybe breaking something.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:48 PM   #202
P5yk0t1c

Drives: 2014 FR-S
This was a great post! Thanks to OP. When I first received this car, the only thing that bothered me was the grab point on the clutch and the loose feel of the shifter. One down and hopefully I can get a short shifter with bushings to tighten everything up!
P5yk0t1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:04 AM   #203
Koji_Online
N7 Spectre

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86 (Ablaze - 6MT)
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Smile

Back from long hiatus; this thread has become awesome with everyone's input & DIY videos to help out the rest of the community. I'm glad my contribution counts for other owners & thank you to thise who contributed here as well. Cheers!

Koji_Online is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Koji_Online For This Useful Post:
EAGLE5 (03-31-2013), Fever (04-07-2013)
Old 03-26-2013, 12:34 PM   #204
niharG

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I finally got around to doing this mod last night. As soon as I finished my checkout test-drive, I realized I made a huge mistake... NOT DOING THIS MOD DAY 1!

The long uptake prior to any clutch engagement was unnatural to me, and even after 8 months of driving her, I would still have inconsistent upshifts at times. Starts would often be slow as I "felt out" the initial deadzone on pedal uptake, then began the balanced clutch out/gas in. After adjusting the clutch to just a hair above the brake pedal level, the clutch IMMEDIATELY felt natural to me. I start to let out the clutch, coordinate with gas, and I'm moving. Upshifts are quick, crisp, and smooth. My rev matches on downshifts are also much closer. You would think there would be a learning curve to the new position, but within 10 minutes of driving around, I felt more comfortable driving the car than I have in 8 months before it. I would recommend this DIY to anyone who is even moderately unhappy with the clutch feel to give this a try. It's totally reversible and you may love the result.

Props to Koji and JonnyRocket for the DIY and video!
niharG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:50 PM   #205
SVThis

Drives: Scion FRS
I did the adjustment on my car today. It was a piece of cake. Much more of a natural feel. Starts are much smoother. Thanks for the tip.
SVThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:27 PM   #206
jeebus

Drives: 2015 Mustang GT (on order)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
I finally did this today. Why I waited so long is beyond me. I guess I figured I'd get used to the clutch but even after 12k miles, it still never felt great. 10 minutes of back and neck pain and it feels so much better!
Old 04-01-2013, 12:39 AM   #207
CamryDS

Drives: 2003 Camry Blue | 2013 FR-S White
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
going to need to do this tomorrow -- just afraid of messing it up.

One question, once I lossen the nuts with the sensor that's located on the clutch, do I push down on the sensor until the notch is gone but not so much that there's pressure pushing against the pedal right? Why would you need to push the pedal up then if it's spring loaded? I guess that's my biggest question, since the video was only showing you after the pedal was modified.
CamryDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:29 AM   #208
Plat

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited SWP
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I did this yesterday, and boy, it makes a world of diff, no long have to lift my feet, rollout is better.

I was afraid to mess it up myself. I never worked on car except for oil change when I was 16, and that was 16 years ago.

Credit to Koji, and JonnyRocket, there is another video on DYI video on brz/frs clutch adj, but he didn't mention anything about turning the rod. I think he just adj the sensor and use that to push down the clutch.

the whole process took me about 30 min include testing, so for a noob like me, I considered very good. and I am not a small guy either, but I was able to get my big body under.

question, after the adj, I noticed when I ease out clutch, my car would just keep going without gas at all. I can roll half a block without gas. not sure if this is normal or not. and I also noticed that the car doesn't lag as much.
Plat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Plat For This Useful Post:
ProjectD (04-02-2013)
Old 04-02-2013, 12:16 PM   #209
ProjectD

Drives: '04 350Z/ 2013 LR BRZ (LM)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plat View Post

question, after the adj, I noticed when I ease out clutch, my car would just keep going without gas at all. I can roll half a block without gas. not sure if this is normal or not. and I also noticed that the car doesn't lag as much.
Interesting. I haven't adjusted mine yet but I do notice it slightly with mine. Keep us posted if you find out more.
ProjectD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:34 PM   #210
Sensisnow

Drives: 05 TSX & 13 BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I just finished doing this a few minutes ago and it made an amazing improvement over the factory setting! Mine is even with, or perhaps a millimeter below the brake pedal. The clutch engages so much earlier now! I haven't even put 200 miles on the car yet, so I had been worried about breaking the clutch in properly since I always revved too high, not being used to such a high engagement point.

My gear indicator still seemed to work fine, but I went ahead and adjusted that sensor anyways since I was already down there. The entire job only took 10 minutes, if that long. Just follow the other tips in this thread, mainly using the shortest 12mm wrench possible, and everything should go fine.

I'm also nearly 6'5" and 260 pounds, so if I can fit down there anyone can!
Sensisnow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clutch adjustment, clutch helper spring