follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Northern California

Northern California NorCal

User Tag List

Old 03-24-2013, 10:32 PM   #85
MyRx

Drives: Flight 86 is now boarding.
Thanked 1,502 Times in 700 Posts
Mentioned: 230 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSmiley View Post

And that is why i decided to go up front.
Ahh, so JackSmiley held back the 16 cars hehe j/k
MyRx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:39 PM   #86
Msnicoleeeee

Drives: Firestorm FRS
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I have lots of footage from the first part of the drive leaving Linda Mar.. Just gotta cut/edit/upload...

When's our next drive?
Msnicoleeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Msnicoleeeee For This Useful Post:
BigFatFlip (03-25-2013), Kamakanani0 (03-25-2013), PMok (03-25-2013)
Old 03-25-2013, 01:04 AM   #87
PMok
Codename: Stitch

Drives: 91 MR2; 06 IS350; 16 BRZ; 18 CX-5
Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,307 Posts
Mentioned: 462 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
OK guys, here is my first full video - recapping the first portion of the drive, along Devils's Slide! bleh, YT kind of killed the video quality but what can you do...

[ame]http://youtu.be/Wi224mQCOnQ[/ame]

stay tuned for more action from the 2nd half!
86BRZ (03-26-2013), BigFatFlip (03-25-2013), Clipdat (03-25-2013), Fizzle (03-25-2013), Kamakanani0 (03-25-2013), M&M_Hwy9 (03-25-2013), Msnicoleeeee (03-25-2013), MyRx (03-25-2013), SC David (03-25-2013)
Old 03-25-2013, 01:11 AM   #88
Msnicoleeeee

Drives: Firestorm FRS
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Haha as you were going down Sharp Park rd in the beginning of the video, I was thinking to myself "damn he's going hellllllllla fast through those turns!" But then I realized you sped it up
Msnicoleeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:12 AM   #89
JackSmiley

Drives: A Potential Traffic Ticket
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyRx View Post
Ahh, so JackSmiley held back the 16 cars hehe j/k
Lol im asian! What do you expect?
Old 03-25-2013, 01:53 AM   #90
PMok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msnicoleeeee View Post
Haha as you were going down Sharp Park rd in the beginning of the video, I was thinking to myself "damn he's going hellllllllla fast through those turns!" But then I realized you sped it up

shhhhhhh hahaha
Old 03-25-2013, 04:04 AM   #91
coyot

Drives: bmw z4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
scary movie
coyot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:20 PM   #92
overlookedx

Drives: 2015 WRB Limited
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Coming late to the party, but I had so much fun on this drive! Thanks so much to SC David for planning it all out, couldn't have gone any better. I have tons of GoPro footage to comb over, but I'll get something onto YouTube later this week. It was great to see all the new faces, as well as people from the last drive.

Quick critique though, on the last leg of the drive I noticed the car in front of me tailgating the car in front of him pretty bad. And going full into the opposite lane for turns that did not necessitate that kind of driving. It was dangerous driving from my viewpoint, and unnecessary on a fun drive like this. I get that you have grippier tires and are lowered, but you don't have to tail those who are just out to have fun and are on stockers. This also set the pace at the front a little quicker than I think most people wanted, so there was a big gap between the cars in front of me and the ones behind.

Anyway, just something to keep in mind when going on a larger drive in the future. I want future drives to go as well as this one did!
BigFatFlip (03-25-2013), Clipdat (03-25-2013), clzzical (03-25-2013), crouchingpinoy (03-25-2013), SnakeEyes (03-25-2013)
Old 03-25-2013, 03:58 PM   #93
PMok

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlookedx View Post
Coming late to the party, but I had so much fun on this drive! Thanks so much to SC David for planning it all out, couldn't have gone any better. I have tons of GoPro footage to comb over, but I'll get something onto YouTube later this week. It was great to see all the new faces, as well as people from the last drive.

Quick critique though, on the last leg of the drive I noticed the car in front of me tailgating the car in front of him pretty bad. And going full into the opposite lane for turns that did not necessitate that kind of driving. It was dangerous driving from my viewpoint, and unnecessary on a fun drive like this. I get that you have grippier tires and are lowered, but you don't have to tail those who are just out to have fun and are on stockers. This also set the pace at the front a little quicker than I think most people wanted, so there was a big gap between the cars in front of me and the ones behind.

Anyway, just something to keep in mind when going on a larger drive in the future. I want future drives to go as well as this one did!
legit concerns, and glad you raised it like you did.

I'm always a little worried when we go out on a drive with a larger group, because the risks of course increase. So I am pretty glad and relieved that everyone made it through safe and sound. Thanks to everyone who kept it real and didn't try to be Ken Gushi around every corner. One little error or slip could ruin everyone's day so hopefully everyone remembers that.

It's also expected that we'll have different cars/drivers with different levels of skill, comfort, pace. Someone with a new car with 1000 miles and stock tires will of course not be on same pace with another person coming with 13000 miles, sticky autox tires and years of racetrack experience (these are hypothetical "people", not thinking of anyone in particular here). Hopefully everyone can work it out so that everyone remains safe (1st priority) and everyone has fun (2nd priority). That might mean fast guys knowing to back it down a notch and not intimidate other cars/drivers. That might also mean slower cars/drivers knowing to take up the rear of the line or moving over (when safe) to let faster cars pass. These are the rules of the road, not just the rules of the track. It's much easier to resolve these issues when you have a smaller group, it's more challenging (but no less important) to get it resolved in a larger group. Something we will all have to work towards with every meet/drive, so thank you for raising it.
:happy0180:
Old 03-25-2013, 04:47 PM   #94
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: Subaru Boxer
Thanked 6,853 Times in 3,677 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Thanks for bringing this up. I noticed something very similar on Stage Road and definitely noticed the gap on the later leg.

Like @PMok said, we can do better with every future meet in regards to driver safety.

Maybe at the start of the next drive, a longer driver's meeting specifically outlining driving expectations/guidelines?

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlookedx View Post
This also set the pace at the front a little quicker than I think most people wanted, so there was a big gap between the cars in front of me and the ones behind.

Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clipdat For This Useful Post:
Kamakanani0 (03-25-2013)
Old 03-25-2013, 04:59 PM   #95
PMok

By the way guys, the ribbon was cut today to mark the grand opening of the new Tom Lantos Tunnels. Traffic will be diverted from Devil's Slide into the tunnels starting tomorrow morning.

Quote:
PACIFICA, Calif. (AP) — With the snip of a ribbon, officials on Monday unveiled the first tunnels built in California in more than 50 years.
The pair of single-lane tubes through the middle of a mountain will divert traffic from a treacherous 1.2-mile stretch of Pacific Coast Highway known as Devil's Slide that constantly erodes and frequently collapses about 15 miles south of San Francisco.
The old highway, built in 1937, will reopen in 2014 as a parkway for cyclists and hikers.
"Today, we mark the start of a new chapter for both Caltrans and the local communities," Caltrans Director Malcolm Dougherty said. "No longer will local residents and businesses have to worry about severe winter storms closing the road and disrupting their lives."
High school marching bands and an antique car parade joined in the festivities.
The twin bores, which are almost a mile long, were set to open to the public early Tuesday.
The $439 million federally funded project has been decades in the making, as community members fought against an alternative plan to pave a longer road through the adjacent rolling and scenic inland hills.
The project is named after the late Rep. Tom Lantos, who secured much of the funding.
"I only wish that Tom was also able to see this day come to fruition. His efforts, as well as so many on the coastside, ensured that pristine coastal land was not paved over," state Sen. Leland Yee said.
The tunnels are equipped with 32 jet-powered exhaust fans, carbon monoxide sensors and a pair of 1,000-foot bridges. Ten fireproof shelters are staggered between the double bores, and remote cameras dangle from the ceiling, monitored constantly by a staff of 15 people.
"Devil's Slide has been an enormous undertaking in difficult terrain," said Brian Kelly, acting state secretary of the business, transportation and housing agency. "Ingenuity, will, and perseverance combined to get this project done."
, diverting coastal drivers away from a notoriously treacherous stretch of roadway and straight through the middle of a mountain.

Old 03-25-2013, 06:11 PM   #96
Kiteless
Hot Lava

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, 1990 Miata 5MT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Ladies and gentlemen I want to thank all of you for being awesome. I had a great time meeting you and driving although the last leg was a little terrifying. I was the Hot Lava managing to keep up with the first half of the group and hopefully I was at a respectful distance to the person infront of me, who was driving AWESOME BTW.

I have never ever EVER done driving like that before and it was a fun drive well within what I think my limits are and also getting a feel for the car. I only cautiously pushed the car hard on some of the big hairpins where you can see the whole corner including up the other side of the pin for oncoming traffic (Mainly second leg).

Elaborating on that, I chose my corners very carefully for several reasons. I didn't want to be "that guy" who wrecks, or worse. Of course I didn't want to get injured, injure my passenger (who had a BLAST BTW) and not damage my car that I have been saving up for years to buy or worse CAUSE an accident ramming into the person in front of me or crashing and causing the person behind me to ram into me.

But I don't think I am saying anything that everyone else was thinking/doing. 90 percent of driving is common sense.

Thanks again for David for organizing this. I had a great time and also had fun flying my wing at the beach. I wish I could have brought some of my more advanced R/C gear. But it was a car meet & drive first.

Attached a few photos that my passenger took while we were driving. I don't think they are worthy of ending up at the top of this thread, but I thought I would share.

- Jason
Attached Images

Clipdat (03-25-2013), Kamakanani0 (03-25-2013), Msnicoleeeee (03-26-2013), PMok (03-25-2013)
Old 03-25-2013, 06:32 PM   #97
Kiteless
Hot Lava

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, 1990 Miata 5MT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by crouchingpinoy View Post
I can meet you at Fremont Hub at 6am.

Do you mean meet up at Fremont then catch up with the Hayward/CV folks? I was planning on meeting up with the Hayward group, Im coming from Newark

Rick
Hey man sorry I totally missed your message. Will actually remember to check back next time.

-- Jason
crouchingpinoy (03-25-2013)
Old 03-25-2013, 07:16 PM   #98
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: Subaru Boxer
Thanked 6,853 Times in 3,677 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Haha, when I saw you break out the plane I realized I should've brought my Kyosho WRX rally car!
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clipdat For This Useful Post:
Kiteless (03-27-2013)