follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 02-21-2013, 01:38 PM   #1
Pure Automotive

Drives: 2013 FRS Whiteout
Thanked 1,952 Times in 650 Posts
Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Throttle Controllers, Myth or Magic? Sprint Booster Testing @Pure Automotive

I had a for sale thread up a while back for the Sprint Booster Power Converter a while back. All I really got was a lot of accusations of it being fake, useless, a waste of money, etc. I've been testing one in my personal FRS for the past month and I have some real world experience with it to share.

First of all, it's about a 10-15 minute install, very simple and straight forward. It is a double sided connector about the size of an ipod shuffle. One side connects to the factory Pedal Position Sensor, the other side gets the electrical connector that would normally go straight into the PPS. There is a port on the side of it that plugs into a controller. The controller is about 3 feet of wire conected to a small rectangle. The controller has a light bulb that doubles as a push button switch. The button changes from red to clear to green. Each color represents a setting mode. Clear is stock, no changes made. Green is more aggressive throttle response. Red is very aggressive throttle response.

I started with an idle test, I revved it up on clear, then green, then red while sitting still, I could not notice any real change. The real change is evident when you start to change modes while in constant pedal pressure. Driving at 2500 RPMs, when switched to green, the car lunges forward as if you've pressed the pedal harder, but your foot has not moved. Now driving in green at 3500 RPMs, I switch to red, the car lunges even more and the RPMS rise, all the while never changing the amount of pressure I am applying to the pedal. Well that's cool I thought to myself and began cruising down the road switching modes and engaging what feels like VTEC on a Honda motor. Keep in mind, this does nothing to increase power, it only changes pedal feel, but this more sensitive pedal seems to really bring the car to life when you're making stop and go pulls on the highway. Merging in green or red mode seems easier. Is it actually easier? No, but you get the same acceleration without burying your foot in the floor and feeling that quick "lag" feeling when you want to pass. What about stop and go traffic? I found that red is actually a little too snappy, almost upsetting the car's driveability. I found myself jumping forward and lurching alot in stop and go traffic on the red setting. Green is better for stop and go, but I actually prefer clear (stock) when there's a lot of stops to be made. But that's the nice thing about the controller, you can turn it on an off whenever you want. I found myself wondering if it was worth keeping on my car or not, so I drove around with it on for 2 weeks. Then I turned it off one day..... I made it about 2 miles down the road and realized my car felt slower and more dull, so I turned it back on.

Here's where it gets interesting... I installed it on my customer's turbo car on a Friday night and told him to bring it back Saturday. Saturday came, and he couldn't stop talking about it and how much quicker the turbo spools and how much faster it made his car feel. So I drove it, and good grief, the car felt like it had more power! The car did not have more power, but the quicker throttle response and increased rpms as a result spooled the turbo faster and the car broke traction in 1-3 gear.

My car is stage 1 tuned with full exhaust, so I decided to put it on a bone stock car to see if maybe you need a tune to really feel the difference. Wrong again, on a bone stock car it is noticeable as well as it is on a modified one!

So what's the verdict? I'm keeping it. For one, I like the way it changes my car. Two, I love to put it on other peoples' cars at meets and see how they react to it. I honestly thought maybe it was a bunch of BS or a scam, but it really does work!

Thanks for reading, PM me if you want to try one for yourself!

Below is everything that the Sprint Booster Company has to say about the product.

Frequently Asked Questions

How often do you feel that your car does not respond to your command ?''
''How often do you have to turn off the A/C in order to cross quickly a road with traffic?''
''How often do you feel that your car doesnot respond when going uphill?''

Vehicles in the 21st century have replaced the more conventional throttle cable technology for an ECM(Electronic Control Module) that translates pedal travel into electronic signals in order to provide power to the wheels.

The ETC system (Electronic Throttle Control) – also known as drive-by-wire –has the unfortunate downside of delayed throttle response and subdued acceleration, creating problems in certain circumstances such as up-hill starts, quick gear changes, overtaking, etc. The Sprint Booster aims to over come this throttle response delay for ETC-equipped vehicles, providing crisp on-tap acceleration at the driver’s disposal.

Sprint Booster might very well be the “smartest” gadget on your car.
It is a device that improves acceleration by continuously measuring and converting the digital signal provided by the ETC’s potentiometer, and providing the ECM with a new and altered signal.
The design of the SprintBooster allows for its easy installation in all models, without the need to cut any wires (plug n’ play) or intervene in the automobile’s electronics (it does not affect other systems such as electronic injection, ABS, etc.).
Sprint Booster connects on the accelerator pedal connector. All you need to do is disconnect the OEM connector from the accelerator pedal and connect Sprint Booster in between (one side connects to the pedal and one side on the OEM connector).

Results
Sprint Booster is aimed at all drivers with ECT-equipped cars, who are after a safer and more exciting automotive experience.

• At low revs, the engine responds at approximately half the time in comparison to before.
• The delay time whilst accelerating in 3rd and 4th gear and the engine in the mid-range,is almost zero.
• Big differences in the higher rev range.
• Improved response for down shifts and safer overtaking.
• Overall safety and more fun on the road!
Pure Automotive is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pure Automotive For This Useful Post:
cbryant514 (06-29-2017), Newguy (10-02-2014)
Old 02-21-2013, 01:40 PM   #2
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
I seent it.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:47 PM   #3
Acree

Drives: 13 CSB BRZ Ltd
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
I have to give you props for taking the time to write a review for the community. But my praise ends there.

As an engineer, these things are a freakin joke a bunch of bullsh!t. You stated that your customer claimed it made his turbo spool faster. All he needs to do is bury his foot in the pedal faster. Nothing can change the maximum opening speed of the electronic throttle body. These types of modules are misleading at the very best.

-Acree
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Acree For This Useful Post:
200hp/tonne (04-12-2016), Grishbok (02-27-2013), Njnickd (05-25-2016), Thorpedo (05-14-2016)
Old 02-22-2013, 10:28 AM   #4
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Drives: 2006 Honda S2000
Thanked 5,759 Times in 3,055 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to King Tut
I think these products would sell alot better if they simply plotted the OEM throttle response on a plot with Throttle Pedal % on the X axis and Throttle % on the Y axis and then show the same plot for the green, and red modifications. What you will find most likely is that the OEM response has a dip at the beginning before becoming more linear and the green and red will be ramped up at the beginning before becoming more linear. They make a car seem faster because you get more throttle opening for a given throttle pedlal input at the beginning. I think programming suites like EcuTek can do the same thing.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:30 AM   #5
Z3D

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone thought about a manual/ physical cable throttle?
Z3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:35 AM   #6
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Drives: 2006 Honda S2000
Thanked 5,759 Times in 3,055 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to King Tut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3D View Post
Has anyone thought about a manual/ physical cable throttle?
That sounds like a great idea. You will just have to combine it with standalone engine management.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:57 AM   #7
BRZ?

Drives: 2014 SWP 6MT BRZ
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acree View Post
I have to give you props for taking the time to write a review for the community. But my praise ends there.

As an engineer, these things are a freakin joke a bunch of bullsh!t. You stated that your customer claimed it made his turbo spool faster. All he needs to do is bury his foot in the pedal faster. Nothing can change the maximum opening speed of the electronic throttle body. These types of modules are misleading at the very best.

-Acree
Exactly!
BRZ? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:39 AM   #8
Bu-Tang

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, Nissan Pathfinder
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
I think the $300 price point it what kills it, if this were $100 I would try it out for sure, My buddy install one of these on his 05 Audi S4 and it really did improve the response of the pedal which I do find to be lacking even after a tune but $300 is just to much especially considering a tune from a tuner only costs 250-350 cause I already have the cable in which still was only $300 which your getting Software Licence and cable VS an adaptor on the pedal.

Just my 2 cents
Bu-Tang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:46 AM   #9
naikaidriver

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S AT Asphalt
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Thanks @Pure Automotive for taking the time to write this review.

However I think this product makes just about at much sense as those exhaust whistles that mimic BOVs.

Scott
Old 02-22-2013, 12:03 PM   #10
Pure Automotive

Drives: 2013 FRS Whiteout
Thanked 1,952 Times in 650 Posts
Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acree View Post

-Acree
Exactly, I have datalogged it and the maximum throttle opening is still around 80%, the throttle does not open any further no matter what. It is misleading if you go off of what the website says alone, that's why I wrote this review, I tried to be as honest as I can and give a real world perspective for those who care to know more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naikaidriver View Post
Thanks @Pure Automotive for taking the time to write this review.

However I think this product makes just about at much sense as those exhaust whistles that mimic BOVs.

Scott
I wouldn't put it in a class with exhaust whistles, it's a little better than that, lol, but I understand what you are saying. All I can say is that I like the way my car drives with it vs without it, I know all the facts and why you view it as such, but at the end of the day, it does change the driving characteristics of the car, whereas an exhaust whistle does not.

For what it's worth, I really wish I could send one to everyone to try for free so that you can make your own judgement, I see it much differently than I did before I drove it.

Thanks for reading and giving feedback in a respectful manner
Pure Automotive is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pure Automotive For This Useful Post:
Newguy (10-02-2014)
Old 02-22-2013, 12:05 PM   #11
mad_sb

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
a quick trip to the dyno will prove that it only feels like it makes more power.

You can accomplish the same thing by tuning the drive by wire tables. All these things do is reduce the effective range of your accelerator pedal.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:46 PM   #12
Chimpo

Drives: '15 STi Ltd
It's (when it comes down to it) changing the throttle calibration. There would be zero power difference. You could get similar results by pushing the gas pedal to WOT.
Chimpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:14 PM   #13
Z3D

Drives: BRZ
You can also get the same effect as the $300 product above by slowly accelerating in 1st gear until redline then let the engine slowdown via mechanical and physical forces.

I learned that from Mr Miyagi. Kind of.

WAX ON, WAX OFF.
Z3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:52 PM   #14
Turbowned

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Perf Pack 6MT
Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,150 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Garage
My S4 had different throttle sensitivity settings, (comfort, auto, dynamic) and I would notice a marked difference in throttle response when I switched it to dynamic mode. For regular around-town driving, it wasn't something I'd want as I would just waste fuel, but when I want to put pedal-to-metal I would like the improved response. That's all this device does. Honestly I just miss the old mechanical throttle cable.

Current: 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S 6MT
Previous: 2 BRZ's, 997 C2S, C5 RS6, C4 S6, B8 S4, GDB STi, S30 240Z, FC3S RX-7 TII, AW11/SW20 MR2, E30 318is/325i, etc.
Turbowned is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Turbowned For This Useful Post:
Bu-Tang (02-22-2013)