follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 02-15-2013, 02:39 PM   #1
wu_dot_com

Drives: accord
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thumbs up AEM Strut Bar will include Master Cylinder Brace

This morning I was at AEM for another business, AEM rep was kind enough to show me their revamp Strut Bar design since the debut at SEMA to include a Master Cylinder Brace.

I was not fortunate enough to snap any pictures, however from the looks of it, I think it’s a much more robust design than those typical offering from Perrin or Grimm speed.

the fundamental difference between the two design is that with the existing design offering, the MC brace is mounted on the flexible sheet metal sidewall of the shock tower. In this case, all the lateral deflection of the firewall would be transform into a bending moment and transfer onto the sidewall in a way deviating from original design intent. Moreover, it is likely that this additional bending load was never analyzed during the chassis design. For all intents and purposes, the shock tower sidewall may be fine when subject to an extra bending force under normal operating condition. However, without a proper chassis stress analysis, it will be hard to determine the possibility of the detrimental effects on the shock tower sidewall throughout the life of the vehicle. On the other hand, the AEM strut bar has incorporated the master cylinder brace as part of the welded structure. Because of this design, it have effectively self-contain all the firewall deflection load within the strut bar structure. Therefore, no undesired bending force will be transmitted onto the chassis structure. In addition, in a hypothetical case of an overload failure, the weld joints of the strut bar would most likely failed first which then decouples the over loading force from further damaging the chassis.

With all this being said, I think the AEM strut bar offers tremendous value than those current market offering.
So if you are looking to add a strut bar or if you are thinking about adding a MC brace in the future, stay tune to what AEM has to offer.
PS. AEM is in their final development phase of this revised design. As of today, they have one preproduction unit that was installed on their track/test car.

Last edited by wu_dot_com; 02-15-2013 at 07:23 PM.
wu_dot_com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:25 PM   #2
norsamerican

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
hmmm...interesting
norsamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:20 AM   #3
eckoflyte

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Pics here
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...5860617&type=1

I see that it only mounts to two strut bolts on each tower. Would it make a difference in terms of chassis rigidity if not mounted to the entire tower (all 3 bolts)?
eckoflyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 04:39 AM   #4
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I wonder if they'll make a RHD version, really want a MCB but yet to see one.

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:21 AM   #5
Anorexic 86
Trim the Fat & add Boost

Drives: sometimes I fly
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eckoflyte View Post
Pics here
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...5860617&type=1

I see that it only mounts to two strut bolts on each tower. Would it make a difference in terms of chassis rigidity if not mounted to the entire tower (all 3 bolts)?
Check the pictures you posted again.

It mounts to FOUR (4) bolts on EACH strut tower PLUS (4) to the firewall for a total of TWELVE (12) bolts.

and it includes a master cylinder brace? Yes, AWESOME!

Last edited by Anorexic 86; 02-16-2013 at 09:39 AM.
Anorexic 86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:01 AM   #6
eckoflyte

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorexic 86 View Post
No...

Check the pictures you posted again.

It mounts to FOUR (4) bolts on EACH strut tower PLUS (4) to the firewall for a total of TWELVE (12) bolts.

and it includes a master cylinder brace? Yes, AWESOME!
That sounds more like speculation without quantifiable evidence. The whole point of a strut bar is to reduce tower flex, therefore to me it would only make sense if the bar utilized all the strut bolts to maximize bracing.

Of course I am no engineer and I don't know the answer to this which is why I am asking. Can someone with an engineering background comment on this?
eckoflyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:26 AM   #7
Anorexic 86
Trim the Fat & add Boost

Drives: sometimes I fly
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
That sounds more like speculation without quantifiable evidence. The whole point of a strut bar is to reduce tower flex, therefore to me it would only make sense if the bar utilized all the strut bolts to maximize bracing.

Of course I am no engineer and I don't know the answer to this which is why I am asking. Can someone with an engineering background comment on this?
YES, it makes sense to utilized all the strut bolts to maximize bracing...

NO, it does not use only 2 bolts on each strut tower as stated earlier by another member... it utilizes 4 bolts on each strut tower.

That was my point. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Either way, it looks stout and is a fully welded triangle design... compaired to the similar looking Hotchkis brace which is not welded together at the firewall mounting location.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=3&theater
Cheers

Last edited by Anorexic 86; 02-16-2013 at 09:38 AM.
Anorexic 86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:06 AM   #8
White64Goat

Drives: 13 BRZ CBS LTD MT, 02 WRX
Thanked 1,111 Times in 627 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
It bolts to 2 of the 3 strut bolts. The other 2 nuts connect to studs on an ear that is welded to the side/top of the tower and connects the firewall to tower bars. You can't tell that from these pictures, but another member on here busted off one of the studs that is attached to the ear. Check under your hood and you'll see what I mean. Do not over-tighten the 2 nuts as the studs are not very strong.

Here is the other post: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...6254&highlight
White64Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:38 PM   #9
wu_dot_com

Drives: accord
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorexic 86 View Post
YES, it makes sense to utilized all the strut bolts to maximize bracing...

NO, it does not use only 2 bolts on each strut tower as stated earlier by another member... it utilizes 4 bolts on each strut tower.

That was my point. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Either way, it looks stout and is a fully welded triangle design... compaired to the similar looking Hotchkis brace which is not welded together at the firewall mounting location.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=3&theater
Cheers
Quote:

Here is my understanding of the purpose of the strut bar. The strut bar is usually a design that is intended to reduce engine bay flex and improve load transfer between the two shock tower. Thus by providing an overhanging rigdit cross member in the engine bay connecting the two load path directly, it would provide a shorter direct path for the suspension load to transfer between one another. A bolt as the one utilized in this case is typically being loaded in tension, I.e the load is carry through the axis of the bolt. It's primary load carry method is through providing a compressive force on the clamping member. The clamping member in this case is the strut tower. The bolt that was used typically are not design to carry lateral shear or bending loads. in order to achieve maximum mechanical effectiveness, the bolt will usually be loaded upto 90% of the bolt yielding load.

Now I will analysis s the force path that will effect the strut bar. When the shock is being compress, all the suspension reaction force will be applied evenly to the top of the shock tower. This reaction force is being applied on the shock tower in a form of a compressive force. This force will then be evenly transfer onto the strut bar base as a compressive force. Thus when the suspension is being compress, the load transfer does not effect the bolt because the bolt is being loaded in tension. On the other hand, when the suspension is being extended, the compressive member between the bolt would want to pull the bolt apart thus reducing the preloaded tension force within the bolt. Even at maximum suspension loading in this case, the bolt should alway remain in preload tension. The forces which thr strut bar will add in this case is relatively minimal.

Now with all this being said, does utilizing all 3 suspension bolt help?
The answe is yes, it will distribute the load more evenly within thr bolts when the suspension is fully extended. However, the standard MS bolts use in our car are typically over design. Thus even when the minimal strut bar force went up from 1/3 to 1/2, it would never reduce the compressive tension preload in the bolt to zero under maximum suspension load.

I hope my explanation provide some clarification.
wu_dot_com is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wu_dot_com For This Useful Post:
Burrcold (02-16-2013), unsurety (04-19-2014)
Old 02-16-2013, 03:29 PM   #10
johnnie

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
nice try AEM rep.

I kid...
johnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 04:21 PM   #11
LeeMaster
Red wine

Drives: Subaru BRZ(R.I.P)
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wu_dot_com View Post
Here is my understanding of the purpose of the strut bar. The strut bar is usually a design that is intended to reduce engine bay flex and improve load transfer between the two shock tower. Thus by providing an overhanging rigdit cross member in the engine bay connecting the two load path directly, it would provide a shorter direct path for the suspension load to transfer between one another. A bolt as the one utilized in this case is typically being loaded in tension, I.e the load is carry through the axis of the bolt. It's primary load carry method is through providing a compressive force on the clamping member. The clamping member in this case is the strut tower. The bolt that was used typically are not design to carry lateral shear or bending loads. in order to achieve maximum mechanical effectiveness, the bolt will usually be loaded upto 90% of the bolt yielding load.

Now I will analysis s the force path that will effect the strut bar. When the shock is being compress, all the suspension reaction force will be applied evenly to the top of the shock tower. This reaction force is being applied on the shock tower in a form of a compressive force. This force will then be evenly transfer onto the strut bar base as a compressive force. Thus when the suspension is being compress, the load transfer does not effect the bolt because the bolt is being loaded in tension. On the other hand, when the suspension is being extended, the compressive member between the bolt would want to pull the bolt apart thus reducing the preloaded tension force within the bolt. Even at maximum suspension loading in this case, the bolt should alway remain in preload tension. The forces which thr strut bar will add in this case is relatively minimal.

Now with all this being said, does utilizing all 3 suspension bolt help?
The answe is yes, it will distribute the load more evenly within thr bolts when the suspension is fully extended. However, the standard MS bolts use in our car are typically over design. Thus even when the minimal strut bar force went up from 1/3 to 1/2, it would never reduce the compressive tension preload in the bolt to zero under maximum suspension load.

I hope my explanation provide some clarification.
*Blank stare*
Old 02-16-2013, 04:50 PM   #12
Burrcold

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,586 Times in 776 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wu_dot_com View Post
...it would never reduce the compressive tension preload in the bolt to zero under maximum suspension load.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:57 PM   #13
chadstyle

Drives: 2013 Subaru BR-Z Limited
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
The cusco OS strut brace has an integrated MCB. I chose this design at the time as they were the only manufacturer utilizing the rigid strut brace to also secure the master cylinder. I installed it a couple days after purchasing the car and I love it. I got a great deal purchasing the front and rear OS braces together and they look great installed and are great for stiffening up the chassis.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:58 PM   #14
drifter-s

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Been waiting awhile for this brace to hit the market. Just picked one up from FT86speedfactory.com. Excellent service as usual! Pic 1 shows what comes in the box. Pics 2 and 3 show brace installed.

Final verdict: Top notch quality. Easy install. Brake master cylinder brace is a nice addition. Feels good, but I'm not feeling any drastic changes. Decrease in minor rattle noise though.
Attached Images

drifter-s is offline   Reply With Quote