follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

Register and become an FT86Club.com member. You will see fewer ads

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-26-2012, 02:17 PM   #43
Ro_Ja
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Drives: TOYOTA
Location: CA
Posts: 401
Thanks: 191
Thanked 225 Times in 134 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ill86 View Post
Getting really tired of reading that the ARC Induction box is only for pretty looks, hard parking and sucking up hot air. So, I data logged via obdii and the results are as follows.

On the street, 35 mph, intake temps were 2-3 degrees above ambient. At highway speeds they were at ambient and BELOW
I'd say that's pretty good. ;-)

I will retest on the circuit throughout the year.

Nothing like vendors trying to sell AEM intakes by knocking ARC.. I've lost a lot of respect with sales tactics like this.
I've always thought people who say SRI's are hot air intakes were talking a load of bull. As long as you're going faster than 30mph, IAT usually remains a few degrees cooler than ambient air temperature.

I always thought cold air isn't needed when it comes to intakes. I learned that, quite the opposite, warmer air actually allows the ECU to take less fuel to complete a combustion stroke, which increases fuel economy.

I had the ARC intake for my tC and I've noticed the lower IAT and higher MPG (~7+mpg highway over stock) with my Scan Gauge II. I will say the ARC gave 0 power whatsoever, in fact, I think I lost a little torque. However, throttle response was improved and the car seemed more "peppy."

Last edited by Ro_Ja; 12-26-2012 at 03:09 PM.
Ro_Ja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:35 PM   #44
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator
 
Dave-ROR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Drives: Stuff
Location: Florida
Posts: 10,317
Thanks: 955
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanakuso View Post
It's probably different for many products but the ARC intake for the S2000 was notoriously known to be worse then stock and had major heat bog
Yeah.. not just on the S2000 but every Honda I've ever seen tested with one.

I'm still waiting on dyno results for this car, and datalog data vs stock to be posted.
__________________
-Dave
Track cars: 2013 Scion FRS, 1998 Acura Integra Type-R, 1993 Honda Civic Hatchback
DD: 2005 Acura TSX
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:08 AM   #45
Calidrifter
@Executive_chicken
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Drives: Firestorm FR-S, Audi A3 E-tron
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,157
Thanks: 106
Thanked 469 Times in 289 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
I want to see the afr on this one as well. But im happy with my HKS Premium Suction intake w/Apexi filter that im currently running.
__________________
Club 4AG | Apex'i | HKS | GrimmSpeed | TRD | Beat Sonic | ENKEI | Cusco | Fujitsubo


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyn View Post
That guy, like me after BBQ Thursdays, is full of shit.
Calidrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:40 AM   #46
ft_sjo
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Drives: GT86
Location: The Motherland
Posts: 1,398
Thanks: 140
Thanked 473 Times in 271 Posts
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
IAT lower than ambient! Magic!
ft_sjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:37 AM   #47
ill86
VehicleDynamicsSpecialist
 
ill86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Drives: iG FR-S
Location: illtuned / PittRace
Posts: 750
Thanks: 1,185
Thanked 203 Times in 166 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ft_sjo View Post
IAT lower than ambient! Magic!
Yep. Pure magic.

In reality my IAT was 2,000 degrees Celsius. The intake sucks in so much hot air my FR-S exploded last night.

ARC sent old Japanese ladies via EMS and they welded everything back together.

/sarcasm
ill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ohio Company Needs Car For R&D...AGAIN :) Lonewolf Great Lakes 26 07-15-2015 06:21 AM
Extra goodies I'm selling for BRZ/FR-S (Portland only!) DarrenDriven Northwest 27 10-13-2012 12:35 PM
2000 mile review, road trip to Road Atlanta & a chat with Randy Pobst. Mtechnik BRZ First-Gen (2012+) — General Topics 0 08-03-2012 11:07 AM
Goodies arrived Nardi330 AUSTRALIA 12 06-22-2012 02:39 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.