follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA

AUSTRALIA Australia and New Zealand

User Tag List

Old 12-09-2012, 07:51 AM   #15
Frank @ BrightShine

Drives: Commodore SV6 Ute
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nix View Post
LFB i'm using an opposite drying method. Large size microfibre waffle weave towel, gently 'draped' over the panels to soak up the majority of water, then a smaller hand sized microfibre for spot drying / traditional chamois work.

One of the issues I'm having at the moment is stubborn water spots, usually on the roof. I am finding I have to wait until the second wash to get some of them off, if the car has been rained on then taken direct sun before it was washed. I could just wash them out with a bit of elbow grease on the first wash, but try to use at little pressure as possible to avoid swirls.

I'm considering a foam gun attachment for my pressure washer for presoaking, but have read about 65% negative reviews saying that they achieve very little.
You can't avoid water spots as it is the result of calcium remaining on your car after the water has dried off. Use a wax to lessen the effect and use a quality shampoo like optimum car wash.

Water spots can be removed with very little effort using a brilliant product called Prima Amigo, basically a solvent based paint cleanser with effortless application and removal, even by hand.

If they are the really old and tough water spots you will need to use an abrasive polish. Talk to a professional in your area about this first though.

Foam guns are great at softening and removing bug splatter, bird poo and tree sap. Not really a road film remover and never a one step process. You will always need to bucket wash your car afterwards. I use the foam gun on nearly all of my detailing jobs.

You can find all you need at www.zas.com.au
Frank @ BrightShine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Frank @ BrightShine For This Useful Post:
nix (12-09-2012)
Old 12-09-2012, 08:26 AM   #16
nix

Drives: AVO BRZ
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank @ BrightShine View Post
You can't avoid water spots as it is the result of calcium remaining on your car after the water has dried off. Use a wax to lessen the effect and use a quality shampoo like optimum car wash.

Water spots can be removed with very little effort using a brilliant product called Prima Amigo, basically a solvent based paint cleanser with effortless application and removal, even by hand.
Thanks frank. There are no issues using it as a spot cleaner directly over opticoat?

I use bucket + mitt + prima hydro wash at the moment.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:03 PM   #17
Frank @ BrightShine

Quote:
Originally Posted by nix View Post
Thanks frank. There are no issues using it as a spot cleaner directly over opticoat?

I use bucket + mitt + prima hydro wash at the moment.
No issues with Amigo over Opti Coat. One thing you'll notice though is the spot you applied it to will bead differently for a few days until the product wears off.

If you like the Prima range get the Hydro spray wax as well, spray it on as you dry your car for more shine and more protection from water spotting.
The Following User Says Thank You to Frank @ BrightShine For This Useful Post:
nix (12-09-2012)
Old 12-09-2012, 04:14 PM   #18
Surok
Wise old man

Drives: 86 GTS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I love the prima products. Zas do a great gift bucket for Christmas too
Surok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:46 PM   #19
LeftFootBrake

Drives: White 86 GTS AT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank @ BrightShine View Post
Glad to see you still around mate!
You too.

Quote:
Meguiars endurance tire gel or optimum tire shine for the tyres. Endurance is more glossy and both last about 5 weeks.
Thanks. From the bit of reading I've done so far there's a chance that Tuf Shine Tire Cleaner+Clearcoat is superior to the competition in terms of durability and lack of sling (here's an example review and another and another). It seems possible that Tuf Shine Cleaner+Clearcoat is to Tyre protection and shine as Paint Decontamination+Opti-Coat is to paint protection and shine.

(If it works as reviewed, it could make a handy addition to your existing service. Maybe you could think about talking with @joel about importing and trying it? If you do, I'd be keen to know and also give it a try from an amateur's perspective.)

Quote:
303 Aerospace protectant....leaves a nice matt finish...contrary to popular belief modern interior trims do not need any coating/conditioning unless your specifically after a glossy finish.
Most definitely not after a glossy finish.
So, just to clarify... are you saying a damp cloth is really all we require in our 86's and we don't really need to bother with the 303 protectant product, even if we're after a matte finish?
Old 12-09-2012, 06:28 PM   #20
Surok
Wise old man

Drives: 86 GTS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
toyota also say just a damp cloth is all thats needed for our interiors btw.
Surok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:55 PM   #21
Frank @ BrightShine

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftFootBrake View Post
You too.

Thanks. From the bit of reading I've done so far there's a chance that Tuf Shine Tire Cleaner+Clearcoat is superior to the competition in terms of durability and lack of sling (here's an example review and another and another). It seems possible that Tuf Shine Cleaner+Clearcoat is to Tyre protection and shine as Paint Decontamination+Opti-Coat is to paint protection and shine.

(If it works as reviewed, it could make a handy addition to your existing service. Maybe you could think about talking with @joel about importing and trying it? If you do, I'd be keen to know and also give it a try from an amateur's perspective.)

Most definitely not after a glossy finish.
So, just to clarify... are you saying a damp cloth is really all we require in our 86's and we don't really need to bother with the 303 protectant product, even if we're after a matte finish?
The concept of a permanent Tyre shine sounds good but how do you keep it clean? Is it detergent/degreaser resistant? Probably not. Drive over a gravel road or hit your rubber on the kerb and your screwed. Good idea but I'd like to see some longevity tests.

Yes just a damp cloth will do fine. 303 will add a matt sheen to make you feel like you have "cleaned" your interior.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:57 PM   #22
Frank @ BrightShine

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPT View Post
One thing to add guys re. Removing watermarks etc. is we shouldn't polish Opti-Coat in the first few months after application. This is to ensure the product has fully hardened and will resist the polishing of products such as Amigo.

OPT are talking about bringing in a product to specifically deal with the removal of watermarks. Not sure what the status of that is though.
Good point Joel, something I should have added.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:46 PM   #23
LeftFootBrake

Drives: White 86 GTS AT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Understand and share the cynicism but lots of your questions are answered by the supplier at the link below. Applying the same analysis techniques I used before deciding upon opti-coat suggests to me to give it a go.

I'm going to order from the supplier tomorrow, so if anyone is serious and wants in on the purchase, as well, please let me know.

Info on what I'm buying can be found here: http://tufshine.com/products/tire-appearance-kit/